PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight "Super-Fox"

Frank Srebro
04-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Pic was taken on our spring turkey opener last Saturday up in the mountains. Two rainy days with strong winds and the temp dropped to 36-degrees that morning. Birds shut down and weren't talking. Well anyway, here's my Fox A Grade 32 incher made in 1923 almost a year after the Super was introduced. 1-weight barrels, chambers measure 2-7/8" and the gent who shot with Fox factory guys near Philadelphia ordered her at 8 pounds and with a Silver's pad. 3-inch/1-3/8 ounce handloaded shells for turkeys. 4-shot is the largest we can use but if I had my choice it would be deuces. :)

frank

Mills Morrison
04-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Very nice! Good luck!

Dean Romig
04-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Nice Super Frank.

Shoot what the gun was patterned with when it was made.

Frank Srebro
04-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Dean, I may have confused you and others by using "Super-Fox" in the title. This is not a Super-Fox but it's similar in some respects to a lightweight Super.

The gun pictured is an A Grade with heavy barrels, 2-7/8" chambers for 3-inch shells and it weighs a tad over 8 pounds. In comparison the typical Super-Fox is a basic H Grade and most but not all were built on a heavier frame, and they'll generally range between 8-5/8 to 9-1/2 pounds with their heavier 0-weight/overbored barrels. The lightest Super I ever owned was made at 8-1/4 pounds on the regular 12-gauge frame, 3-inch chambers and with 32-inch 1-weight barrels (all similar to this A Grade). That Super had a factory monte carlo stock with cheekpiece and full pistol grip, all of which would have about accounted for its 4 ounce increased weight as compared to this straight-grip A grade.

Net, the pictured gun is a Fox A Grade made to reach out and still be dynamic.