PDA

View Full Version : Identification help

Justin McKnight
03-24-2019, 08:43 PM
I need some help determining the grade of my shotgun. So far what I have learned is its
vulcan steel
12ga
what confuses me is VH is marked above the serial which looks to indicate vulcan steel and V is marked under the serial.

also what is the NT or HT? (hard to read) and A marking for?

Thanks I am new. I have owned this shotgun for about 8 years now and my grandfather gave it to me right before he passed away. I hunted and shot clay with this shotgun until about 5 years ago when i decided I didn't want to abuse it anymore. Right about the time I realized what it was. That said. I also have an issue when its very cold out when I pull the trigger it will not hit the primer hard enough to fire. But only when its VERY cold out. I assume its got some gunk in it but I am scared to disassemble it myself. Is it something a user could do?

Rick Losey
03-24-2019, 08:54 PM
welcome

you have a V grade Parker

if you go to the home page and look on the left side you will see a link to the various grades

it very well may need a cleaning, if you are not familiar with the internals and do not have the proper tools - leave it to a pro

shooting it with proper loads is not abuse - great that you have such a legacy from your grandfather

Justin McKnight
03-24-2019, 09:47 PM
Thanks friend.

I love the shotgun and would like to start shooting it again. I have only ever shot 2 3/4 bird shot in her so far.

I can see its not the highest grade by any means but I also worry about sending her just anywhere. Could the average gunsmith do the work? when she comes apart what happens if a spring breaks or gets lost. Is there anyone that specifically works on parkers and has access to parts if needed?

Russell E. Cleary
03-25-2019, 04:17 AM
Justin:

If you click HOME PAGE to the upper left; then FAQs low in the column on the left; you will then see at the top of the FAQs listed: #1 "NEED A GUNSMITH?".

It is a long Thread that lists gunsmiths that have been recommended by individuals on this Forum and usually specific areas of expertise.

Also, if you note here the part of the country where you live someone might come in and refer you to a qualified smith nearby.

Rick Losey
03-25-2019, 05:41 AM
Justin:

If you click HOME PAGE to the upper left; then FAQs low in the column on the left; you will then see at the top of the FAQs listed: #1 "NEED A GUNSMITH?".

It is a long Thread that lists gunsmiths that have been recommended by individuals on this Forum and usually specific areas of expertise.

Also, if you note here the part of the country where you live someone might come in and refer you to a qualified smith nearby.

Justin
Russell gives good advice - and for the other part of your question - many "gunsmiths" are really no such thing. where ever you go make sure they know double guns. - if none of the recommended gunsmiths are near you, call a few and ship it to one you are comfortable dealing with. the cost to ship it will be cheap insurance compared to having some hack get into it

Justin McKnight
03-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Justin
Russell gives good advice - and for the other part of your question - many "gunsmiths" are really no such thing. where ever you go make sure they know double guns. - if none of the recommended gunsmiths are near you, call a few and ship it to one you are comfortable dealing with. the cost to ship it will be cheap insurance compared to having some hack get into it

Thank's guys. I am doing a lil more searching on this now and learning my way around. To be honest I haven't been on a forum in quite a while.

I'm not scared to send it off. Would like to send it to the best. I don't really want it refinished or anything but I was considering having it case hardened again if needed and possibly having the engraving touched up but im not sure if I should.

Randy G Roberts
03-25-2019, 06:36 PM
The HT over the A you referred to is one of the markings that is not clearly understood. There has been talk of it representing "Heat Treated Annealed" but I believe the jury is still out on that one. There are numerous unknown markings on Parkers. Enjoy it..

Justin McKnight
03-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Nice so that makes mine a little more rare right!? Either way I love the gun. Have been hunting dove with it since i was probably 12 years old. I shoot with guys shooting benellis and they drool over it! Never really knew the shotgun was so well regarded. I just always loved side by sides. Luck of the draw I guess. Thanks gramps.

Randy G Roberts
03-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Sorry but no. Those markings are quite common.