PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Member

Donald Baldwin
03-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Hello, I am a new member from KY and owner of a 12 gauge with 30 inch full choke barrels that I used to shoot trap years ago. I have not shot my gun in over 40 years and am in process of some needed internal maintenance. So I will gain a wealth of knowledge from the experience here on the forums. Hopefully I can share some of my limited knowledge with other members.

Dean Romig
03-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Hello Donald - and Welcome!

Mills Morrison
03-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Welcome Donald!

Garry L Gordon
03-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Donald,

Post some pictures of your gun and tell us more about it. There's lots to learn from the folks on this Forum.

Ed Norman
03-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Donald,
Welcome to this forum, I am a newer member and have learned so much in here. I became a member after a few days, and I am glad I did. I have found stuff for sale in the members only section, and have gotten a lot of help from the members.

Dave Tatman
03-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Welcome, Donald! Where are you in Kentucky? I am in South Central Kentucky, near Bowling Green.

Dave

Gary Carmichael Sr
03-15-2019, 05:34 AM
Donald , Welcome to the wonderful world of Parker Shotguns, we all on this forum learn something new about every day, gary

Donald Baldwin
03-15-2019, 07:12 AM
I am in the Louisville, KY area.

Harry Collins
03-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Donald, I'm in Lexington. Hope we can shoot together at some point.

Garry L Gordon
03-15-2019, 08:20 AM
I hope all of you Kentuckians -- and others in the South -- have missed the bad storms we've been seeing on the news. That recent Cyclone Bomb was a doozy.

Take care.

Dean Romig
03-15-2019, 08:25 AM
"Cyclone Bomb".... when was that term invented? Seems the News/weather agencies just started using it in the last year or two. I wonder what the actual scientific definition is for the weather condition.....?

Garry L Gordon
03-15-2019, 08:40 AM
The "weather guys" also gave it a name. I don't pay attention to those, but apparently Cyclones and Anti-cyclones (a.k.a. high and low pressure cells) has been in usage for years (sheesh, I remember it from science class back in the 60s). The "bomb" part, I don't know. The storm was a doozy, though, and had pressures and winds in some places like those of a hurricane. In any event, I saw lots of reports of tornados around some of our Southern friends and have worried over them. We just got rain and 60mph winds here, but north and west of us got hit hard. I also saw tornado reports for Mississippi and Alabama. I sure hope Charlie is okay, and that everyone of our members in this storm's path is safe.

Donald Baldwin
03-15-2019, 09:33 AM
In Louisville, we had 67 MPH winds and considerable power outages but no injuries that I know of.

Mills Morrison
03-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Not good. Hope everyone is ok.

Eric Estes
03-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Da bomb, for weather nerds...
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/bombogenesis.html

Dean Romig
03-15-2019, 07:24 PM
Thanks Eric. I thought the term had been invented by the same folks who invent the 12 new names for full moons every year. I always kinda liked the names of full moons we all grew up with like the "Planting Moon", the "Harvest Moon", the "Hunger Moon", and so on.

Richard Flanders
03-18-2019, 01:04 AM
"Cyclone bomb" is a BS term invented by mental midgets to add a drama factor to weather reports. It's the same reason the "jet stream" is now called the "Polar Vortex"(sheesh, seriously?), and why the winter temperatures in the lower 48 are always stated in terms of the "wind chill"(without actually saying it, of course)instead of the actual air temperature. It makes it all sound tabloidal and dramatic. It's all just 'weather'. When I started recording weather records 46yrs ago, none of these rubbish terms existed.

Harry Collins
03-18-2019, 08:13 AM
About 35 years ago I had a 285' split hill hopper dredge working Southwest pass at the entrance to the Mississippi River. The bottom fell out of the barometer and the wind was howling. I called the Federal Pilot Station and asked the wind speed. They responded that the last gust was 127 knots (156 mph). I asked what the current reading was. They said they didn't know as the anemometer carried away with the last gust.

Garry L Gordon
03-18-2019, 08:19 AM
About 35 years ago I had a 285' split hill hopper dredge working Southwest pass at the entrance to the Mississippi River. The bottom fell out of the barometer and the wind was howling. I called the Federal Pilot Station and asked the wind speed. They responded that the last gust was 127 knots (156 mph). I asked what the current reading was. They said they didn't know as the anemometer carried away with the last gust.

Can you imagine how the weather guys would report that today?! Probably name it an Armageddon Cyclone...

(BTW, Harry, it sounds like you had an interesting job on the river.)

Harry Collins
03-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Gary, I was running coastwise dredging rivers from the Miramichi in New Brunswick to Grays Harbor, Washington. Of all of them the Mississippi was the most exciting due to the current of a flooded river and the some 3,000 ships a month trying to dodge us.

Garry L Gordon
03-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Gary, I was running coastwise dredging rivers from the Miramichi in New Brunswick to Grays Harbor, Washington. Of all of them the Mississippi was the most exciting due to the current of a flooded river and the some 3,000 ships a month trying to dodge us.

Wow. Neat stuff!

Matthew Hanson
04-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Welcome to all the fun Donald! Super great bunch of guys in the PGCA. Lots of knowledge and insight.

Matt