PDA

View Full Version : Parker Bros Mark 23, 1879

Don Hereford
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Greetings from Woodland, Wa,

My name is Don Hereford and I would like to thank you for allowing me to join this forum.
I receintly inherited several old firearms, one being a Parker that belonged to my Great Grandmother.. I do not have any desire to sell this shotgun, but would like to learn as much as I can about it... I have a picture of her holding it on her homestaed in Cental Oregon - don't think the make like her anymore..
What I have learned about the gun so for is that it is a Parker Bro's Mark 23, S/n 13812, damascus steel barrels and that it was manufactured in 1879.. I am trying to obtain other information by following the instructions on this site, I am however not sure how to remove the rectangular pin going through the forestock - can someone advise me of the safe way to do this please?

Thank you,
Don Hereford:)

Mark Landskov
10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Hi, Don! Welcome aboard. Is 'Mark 23 ' stamped on the gun somewhere? As for removing the forend wedge, the right end of it should have a single groove to facilitate starting it with your thumbnail. The wedge is a friction fit, although decades of non-removal might make it a bit more difficult to slide from right to left. A small screw retains the wedge from coming completely out of the forend. Push the wedge out so you can grab a hold of it and pull it out the rest of the way until it stops. The forend should have a tab, or projection, on the tip to facilitate pulling it off. Cheers!

Frank Cronin
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Don, welcome! You are lucky to acquire this priceless gift from your grandma. Be sure to post pictures of your grandma's Parker and of her holding the gun! I bet the picture is a classic!

Frank

Don Hereford
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your quick response.. Mark 23 is stamped on the gun, I am going to try and get pictures of it, I will also take spelling lessons...
Thanks,
Don

Mark Landskov
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Don, 'MAR 23 1875' is one of the patent dates just forward of the trigger guard on the trigger plate. Is that what you are talking about? We are anxious to see pictures. Your gun has wonderful provenance, complete with a vintage photo! Can't beat that! Cheers!

calvin humburg
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
YES PICTURES and you don't have to spell good four me spell it like it sounds then I might be able to figure it out.:) ch

Don Hereford
10-24-2010, 08:45 PM
That is probably what we were seeing - had my grandson read it for me as I don't see quite as good a I did back when I could remember... I need to clean the metal somehow, it is quite "ornate" with engraving - even on the butt plate (I think) can feel it but hard to see...
(Mark, I got to go on the USS Missouri BB 63 when she was in Astoria) Thanks for your service...!)

Thanks again,
Don, and Amen to your quote Calvin...

Bill Murphy
10-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Be careful of that picture. Early pictures with Parker shotguns are sometimes worth as much as the gun. See if you can scan it for us.

David Hamilton
10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
There have been many posts like this one on our Parker web site. All of them bring tears to my eyes because I perceive that we ( the members of this site) are a dying breed. I wonder if this nation can thrive without us? My feeling is that only those who understand the nature of our constitution can uphold it. I would like to pray for our future but would that my prayers were heard. David

Don Hereford
10-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the advice on photo, will scan as soon as my twin sister returns from vacation - she has the photo album now...

Thanks,
Don

Bill Murphy
10-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Family guns and pictures of family with their guns are our most wonderful possessions. My Grandfather was born in 1856. His special order E Grade Lefever pigeon gun was made in 1887. I don't have a clear picture of him with that particular gun, which I still own and shoot. One picture, from about 1915, shows him and my Dad and a third person. My Grandfather is holding a double gun with a metal piece in the cheek of the stock. It is either a pinned repair or a Greener safety. My assumption is that the gun is a Greener. I do have one picture of my Grandfather and the Lefever at his pigeon ring in Hazleton, either shooting box birds or training dogs, I don't know which. The view of the gun is not clear. What is clear is that he is in his Sunday best, sans jacket. I guess some of his shoots were held Sundays after church. The pigeon ring was on Pine Street in Hazleton Heights, only a short walk from St. Gabriel's Catholic church.