PDA

View Full Version : Pachmayer, his last gun.

Alan Phillips
10-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Not the last gun he owned but the last that was to be gifted to Frank from his brother John. The interesting story is John commissioned this as a gift to Frank on his 70th birthday. Arguably perhaps the highest grade box lock ever made by Webley. By my count, 57 gold inlays not counting the gold line work. Before he could deliver it to Frank John died and the gun went into his estate. His widow consigned all his guns to the Martin B. Retting Inc. store in Culver city, CA. Frank was unaware that this 702 Special was among the guns until I mentioned to him that I bought it from Rettings. For those of you who knew Frank you can imagine what it was like trying to leave his shop. At any rate I know there was interest in Pachmayer guns on this forum but I could not find the thread. Thought some might like to see a Pachmayer that was not an upgrade and had interesting provenance.
It is a 20gauge with open chokes for birds in one set and tight for ducks in the second.

charlie cleveland
10-08-2018, 07:19 PM
what a gun...charlie

Bill Mullins
10-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Alan, in the early 1980's I visited Pachmayers store. His long time secretary just
happened to be there at the same time in his office. Frank had sold the business
sometime previously. She showed me his office along with several new guns. The
story she relayed to me was that after Frank sold his business he returned several days later to only find the new owners had marked the price down on many guns that he paid more for than presently marked. He was so upset he wrote them a check for around a million dollars to buy the guns back! He instructed his secretary to put them in his office for him to pick up later. Many of them were still there when I visited. Along with several Pachmayer upgrades it was a real treat to see all of them! With a young family I could only afford to buy
a beautiful Pachmayer gold threaded shooting patch. 😊

Bill Murphy
10-09-2018, 09:32 AM
Alan, your search for the Pachmayr name on this site would be successful if you spelled his name correctly. Good luck.