PDA

View Full Version : Lefever 16 bore I've named "Florence"

Frank Srebro
10-02-2018, 08:56 PM
So almost a month ago a friend gave me a heads up on a Lefever DS Grade 16 bore for possible sale by an older gent in NC. I called to chat and he told me he’d bought her in the 1970’s from a dealer there in-state and used it for occasional woodcock hunting. He sent me some pics. The pics looked good but the gun had 26-inch tubes and he didn’t know what the chokes were, and had no way to check the bore diameters nor chamber length. The serial number dated to about 1912.

Now, many of you know that original 26-inch Lefevers are quite rare. Most were cut from longer tubes and owing to the shorter tapered chokes on a smallbore even a 2 inch cut would result in a pretty open choked gun. That lined up with the owner using it for woodcock. But his one pic showed the tubes were touching at the muzzle which is usually the case with an uncut Lefever. Huh?

Anyway, he said he'd send me the Lefever on approval (nice trusting man) and just as I was driving home from the post office after mailing my FFL, he called to say Hurricane Florence was bearing in, power was being proactively cut in his area, and it might be some time before he could receive mail and ship the gun. Waiting period started, floor pacing, sweaty palms ….. :whistle: Then about ten days later he called to say mail delivery had resumed, he’d received my FFL and would be shipping after his post office started accepting shipments in a few days. I finally got her on last Friday and she was worth the wait.

This Lefever 16 is all original and built on the lightweight XX frame. Weight 6^1. Bores have .667/668” diameters and would you believe heavy Full chokes at 34 and 35 points of constriction. Choke tapers are 1-3/4 and 2" long respectively. Nice dimensions: 1-1/2 by 2-3/4 by 14” LOP to its HRBP. Chambers are 2-9/16”. No wood cracks and unmolested screw slots. An honest gun.

Why this gun was ordered with 26-inch tubes and both heavy Full chokes is a real question. Any ideas on why a NC gun would be configured that way would be appreciated.

I was after a Lefever smallbore for grouse hunting here in PA ….. but now I’d rather not open those chokes. Plan is to pattern with RST spreaders. Oh yeah, when I called the gent to tell him about my inspection and that I’d be sending payment, I asked how he did with it on woodcock? He answered, not too well and now he knows why. :banghead: :)

frank

Dave Noreen
10-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Any ideas on why a NC gun would be configured that way would be appreciated.

Squirrels.

Sara LeFever
10-03-2018, 06:08 AM
Nice, Frank!! :)

keavin nelson
10-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Nice find Frank.

Reggie Bishop
10-03-2018, 09:59 AM
You have a knack for finding these nice Lefevers! Keep them coming!

Frank Srebro
10-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments.

I shot her today with 2 boxes of RST 2-1/2" 7/8-ounce Lite loads and did well on most of the clays. Also, though not objective, I fired some of those to compare with RST spreader shells, shooting from an elevated stand into a rain swollen creek. About 30 yards and the spreader patterns looked to be almost twice the diameter as made by the conventional shells. I'll do some paper patterning when I get a chance.

Harold Lee Pickens
10-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Frank, I have not seen any other 16 ga Durstan Specials with 26" barrels, But I do have a 20ga with 26" and also has ejectors. Very clean little gun, nice find.

Frank Cronin
10-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Congratulations Frank for finding another great looking Lefever.

Shawn Wayment
10-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Nice find! I'd like one just like that!

Nick de Guerre
10-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Very nice condition, Frank. A good find. 26" 12 gauges are uncommon, but not "rare." Most of those we've seen are late guns like yours. Truly rare are 26" early 12's. But the nice thing about Lefevers is the barrels should ALWAYS, ALWAYS touch.

So even lacking a choke gauge whilst shopping one can easily assess whether the barrels have been cut.

That's a SWEET turkey gun!

- NDG

Frank Srebro
10-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Thanks all for your feedback. I haven't had a chance to get any paper patterning done with RST 16ga/2-1/2" regular shells and spreaders. Have to get in gear, our grouse season is almost here. :)

I used the word "rare" for 26-inch barrels because that's the word used by R W Elliott on page 126 of his definitive book Uncle Dan Lefever Master Gunmaker.

Nick de Guerre
10-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Frank,

With due respect to Bob Elliott, whose two books are fantastic, and I value my signed copies...

Just as much was learned between 1986 and 2001 (the years of their publication), much has been learned since 2001. The internet's growth has shown us many more guns than Bob ever saw before publishing his books. And forums like this one have allowed us to share to a degree he didnt have.

Bob did a remarkable job estimating production figures and characteristics given the information he had at the time...but more is known now. And collectors are working from far greater lists of guns.

I have owned a 12ga with 26" barrels, and have seen more than a few others. They are...uncommon.

In the history of the world, there is only one single book ever written which is "definitive." Everything else is in a perpetual state of update, and reevaluation.

- NDG

Frank Srebro
10-11-2018, 07:58 AM
A similar scenario as with McIntosh's A H Fox book that was published in 1992. Much has been learned on Fox and no doubt on Lefever guns since their respective publication dates but the fact remains they are the only books available to enthusiasts on the subject makers.

These recent learnings present a good opportunity for research/historian type gents to publish corrigendum booklets, pamphlets or even a few sheets to supplement those books. Otherwise those who are attracted to these makers rely on the respective book and use it as their "bible" on that gun maker. To be sure, writing and publishing supplemental information takes motivation and time, and it's much easier to post tidbits on internet talk websites like this one. But random posts get diluted in megatons of other cyber info and those with interest must search for and find that data, and if/when found there's always the question if it's just one more person's perspective that may or may not be correct.

Nick de Guerre
10-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Cold Spring,

I agree. Sadly there are some amazing people who have left reams of knowledge on the web which likely wont stand the test of time. But some of them have been published in the DGJ, which to me, is really the go-to resource...in part because it's ongoing and updatable.

- NDG

Dean Romig
10-11-2018, 08:59 AM
I couldn’t agree more Frank!

Case in point, all of Drew’s contributions and his wonderful Damascusknowledge website that has reams and reams of links, pictures, and countless copies of pulp pages from long ago - all of which could conceivably be lost lest it somehow be published in book form.

And this is just one, although very significant, example.

Robert Brooks
10-11-2018, 09:10 AM
I had a 16 ga DS 26 inch with ejectors and still own a GE 16 26 inch Damascus gun. Bobby

charlie cleveland
10-11-2018, 09:54 PM
i have a ds lefever but it has 28 inch barrels....you fellas have me bested with those 26 inch barrels...my dad would only shoot 26 inch barrels on quail he liked improved cly and modified barrels on double guns...alas he always out shot me with those short barrels....charlie

todd allen
10-14-2018, 11:32 AM
i have a ds lefever but it has 28 inch barrels....you fellas have me bested with those 26 inch barrels...my dad would only shoot 26 inch barrels on quail he liked improved cly and modified barrels on double guns...alas he always out shot me with those short barrels....charlie

Not to take anything away from the 26" guns. They are novel, interesting, and very handy in tight places, but you have, IMHO, the best all-around barrel length with your 28" gun.