PDA

View Full Version : Another example of a German masterpiece

Brian Dudley
08-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Last year I was able to acquire this fine 12g. through an interesting series of events and I consider myself fortunate to be the owner of it.

It was made by Emil Kerner on a Merkel barreled action. It is a side-plated box-lock with frame sculpting beyond what one would normally see on a German gun. And the Lefever-esque wings on the barrels are very different.

It is chambered in 12g. 2-3/4" (70mm) with 30" barrels that are choked IC and Full. Other features include Ejectors, cocking indicators, concealed greener cross-bolt, side clips, horn inlays behind plates and a hinged front trigger.

Every part of the gun, inside and out, is highly finished.

Weighing in at just under 8 lbs. it has been great to shoot targets with. It really fits me great.

When I received it, it had a poorly fitted 1/2" kick-eel pad on it, but fortunately the stock had not been cut, so I was able to fit a new horn buttplate on it like it would have had originally. The stock finish was pretty dry, but some timberline took care of that. And the gummed up checkering got a re-cut.

Short of this gun being a full sidekick, it truly does represent the pinnacle of quality in German gunmaking.

Enjoy!

Timothy Salgado
08-15-2018, 11:27 AM
That's a beautiful gun, thanks for sharing.
Tim

Todd Poer
08-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Those are some of deepest side clips I have ever seen on an action. With those, a greener side bolt and what appears to be double lugs underneath, I am not certain if you could beat that gun loose with ball peen hammer. Are those also sideclips on the receiver next to barrel flats?

Those barrels look stout as well and you would have done something to ever wear those out. That is a solid good looking gun obviously made to shoot, a lot. Hard to believe it weighs under 8 as strong as it looks with all those features. They packed a lot into that gun. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if someday you discover a can or bottle opener hidden into design of that gun. That is a neat firearm.

Brian Dudley
08-15-2018, 01:29 PM
The sling loops could probably be used as a bottle opener.

I took the swivel loops off because the rear ine kept catching the pocket of my vest when mounting the gun.

Todd Poer
08-15-2018, 04:57 PM
I know slings are a popular feature for some European shotguns but never saw need or attraction of them. I guess they need to carry their guns a long way and sling is helpful for them. I guess a sling would be helpful if hunting partridge on the side of the Matterhorn.

Mark Ray
08-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Those Germans Did Not want their guns flying open!! Here is my August Wolf 5lb3oz 16....

Todd Poer
08-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Yep Germans love that Greener action and side clips, its a good combination. BTW looking at Brians gun could swear it looked like there were additional side clips also by barrel flats, but looked again and it was just a finish on the barrel.

Does that Wolf gun also have swivel barrels for a sling.

todd allen
08-15-2018, 09:29 PM
German guns often have all the things I like, and all the things I don't like, all in one package.

wayne goerres
08-15-2018, 09:40 PM
That's really nice wood for a German gun.

charlie cleveland
08-15-2018, 09:53 PM
great looking gun them german s are very talented people....your gun is about as nice asa gun can get.....charlie

Mark Ray
08-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Yep Germans love that Greener action and side clips, its a good combination. BTW looking at Brians gun could swear it looked like there were additional side clips also by barrel flats, but looked again and it was just a finish on the barrel.

Does that Wolf gun also have swivel barrels for a sling.

Dont want to hijack Brians thread, search Wolf on the site about 3 years ago. , and you can see all about this gun. As previously said it has everything you want, plus everything you dont.

Brian,

That is one screaming fine gun!! And it has the weight to be able to shoot it a lot at clays. I love guns with articulating triggers, as I have large hands, and it makes the far/close combo much easier for me. I agree about the wood also, and the hyper full and tight engraving....this gun must have been custom made for royalty or a captain of industry!

Harold Lee Pickens
08-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Beautiful guns both!
Mark, at 5 lbs 3 oz, I sure woudnt want to shoot a 100 round sc course unless I was shooting some light loads. My German hammer gun w/ 30" barrels weighs 5lbs 12 oz, and for sure I shoot my 3/4 oz loads thru it.