PDA

View Full Version : A little late

Dave Erickson
06-19-2018, 12:46 PM
I'm a little late on my introduction, but I'm Dave Erickson and I live in western WI about 3 miles from the Mississippi River. I've always been fascinated with shotguns and I'm just tip-toeing into some American classics. My Parker is a 1913 16 gauge VH. The gun handles gracefully, and feels lighter than it is. Unfortunately it has a repaired crack in the wrist and cast-off for a lefty, but despite all that it shoots pretty well for me especially on mid to longer range targets where I have time to snuggle in and let those FxF chokes do their job.

My goals are to have fun with it at the range, take a few wood ducks with it, and just enjoy owning a Parker.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/qKZ5fk.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmqKZ5fkj)

Dean Romig
06-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Welcome Dave!

That's a very nice looking VH. Is it a 0-frame?

Dave Erickson
06-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Dean.

It's a 1 frame. That said, it weighs a very shootable (for me) 6 lbs. 10 oz. and the 30" barrels swing so sweetly. I've owned quite a few 16 SxS's, but for shooting longer targets this one is in a class of its own. I'm already visualizing these barrels swinging on ducks in the bottoms!

Rich Anderson
06-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Welcome Dave. You have the right attitude regarding your gun....shoot it and enjoy it. Don't change a thing it's perfect just the way it is. :)

Dave Erickson
06-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Thanks, C.O.B.!

Mike Franzen
06-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Welcome Dave . There is a kind of magic in a Parker 16 gauge.

Dave Erickson
06-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Mike!

Bill Jolliff
06-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Dean.

It's a 1 frame. That said, it weighs a very shootable (for me) 6 lbs. 10 oz. and the 30" barrels swing so sweetly. I've owned quite a few 16 SxS's, but for shooting longer targets this one is in a class of its own. I'm already visualizing these barrels swinging on ducks in the bottoms!

Very nice Dave.

When you're pursuing ducks with the old girl, it won't like steel shot.

Dave Erickson
06-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Bill! I already have my RST bismuth ready to go! If things go well perhaps I'll reload some low pressure bismuth when the RST's run out.

Rich Anderson
06-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Dave I use the RST 2 1/2 hull in all my guns regardless of gauge. It might be a #1 frame and fluid steel barrels but remember the wood is 100 years old so low pressure shells regardless of use.

Garry L Gordon
06-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Nothing better than a Parker...no wait, nothing better than a Parker 16! Can’t wait for pictures of those ducks.

Steve Kleist
06-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Hello Dave and Welcome.
I was born in Eau Claire, but spent many of my boyhood days on the mighty Mississippi near Buffalo City, WI. As I am sure you are, I am also a Packer fan.
I now live in Ely MN near the Canadian border.
You will enjoy the forum and be sure you join the Parker Gun Collector's Association.
There are a few Parker related events in our neck of the woods as well.
Perhaps our paths (and Parkers) will cross someday.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist
Ely, MN

Dave Erickson
06-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Dave I use the RST 2 1/2 hull in all my guns regardless of gauge. It might be a #1 frame and fluid steel barrels but remember the wood is 100 years old so low pressure shells regardless of use.

Rich, it will never be fed anything else. A good pattern on target trumps anything high pressure.

Dave Erickson
06-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Nothing better than a Parker...no wait, nothing better than a Parker 16! Can’t wait for pictures of those ducks.

Thanks, Garry! This is certainly the place to share pictures. Real nice group here!

Dave Erickson
06-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Hello Dave and Welcome.
I was born in Eau Claire, but spent many of my boyhood days on the mighty Mississippi near Buffalo City, WI. As I am sure you are, I am also a Packer fan.
I now live in Ely MN near the Canadian border.
You will enjoy the forum and be sure you join the Parker Gun Collector's Association.
There are a few Parker related events in our neck of the woods as well.
Perhaps our paths (and Parkers) will cross someday.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist
Ely, MN

Steve, I was in Eau Claire today after a round of clays near Warrens. (Woods & Meadow)

One of my sisters lives there, and my oldest sister graduated from UW Eau Claire. And to top it, I used to stay at my friend's grandparent's cabin at Buffalo City as a boy. We'd fish the stump fields in a flat-bottomed boat. I'm just downriver near Trempealeau. Small world!