PDA

View Full Version : Fox SBT gun ready for the Northeast

Frank Srebro
05-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Once again I'll have George Emmons' Fox J Grade SBT gun at the Northeast/Letterman Cup event. Here's a pic of her taken today.

About eight years ago she literally came out of a barrel in a Maryland warehouse along with some random old military rifles; her stock had been crudely converted from half grip to a straight wrist and also shortened. I considered getting the gun restocked but decided to have pieces spliced onto the back end and the bottom/toe line to revert to its original half grip style. Better to keep part of the original buttstock intact than to replace it. IMO. The splicing and checkering were done by my friend Craig Libhart of Susquehanna Stockworks and I put on a simple finish to be able to shoot and compete that year. Well, the years stretched on and I finally got in gear a month ago to strip that buttstock finish, also did some “Circassian” figure matching and put on a proper finish using the original Fox formula. I also fixed the ejector which was erratic after firing umpteen thousand rounds. Here she is ready to rock in less than 2 weeks at the Northeast SxS.

Mr. Emmons was a trap shooter of some note at clubs in the Washington DC area, shooting with the likes of General (then Captain) Billy Mitchell. He even sponsored the “Emmons Cup” at his primary club. This old Fox SBT gun does card directly to George Emmons and it’s the only one that does. :)

frank

Mills Morrison
05-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Very nice! The stock looks great

charlie cleveland
05-28-2018, 04:50 PM
cool gun and storey...charlie

Frank Srebro
05-28-2018, 07:59 PM
So one of my buds wrote to me tongue in cheek that I posted the side with the better faux Circassian streaks. :whistle: Here's the opposite side. :)

Forearm finish is original as is all the metalwork.

Robert Brooks
05-28-2018, 09:03 PM
Frank first class work as always! Bobby

John Davis
05-29-2018, 06:36 AM
That really is nice. Beautiful gun.

Bill Murphy
05-29-2018, 09:34 AM
My research into Emmons places him as the successor to William Wagner's business address in D.C. Wagner is the famous high volume Parker dealer in Washington. Emmons was also a member of my gun club. Frank, that is a great restoration.

davidboyles
05-29-2018, 05:07 PM
FRANK, Beautiful stock work. Think I could borrow to shoot high passing Tx Whitewings ?? Have often thought of a trap gun to play with on those doves early Sept>

John Walters
06-15-2018, 02:38 AM
Great post have a Sterlingworth and much respect for Fox guns. Saving the SBT and your restoration work is as good as it gets. There were not many Fox Trap guns made as they came later to the SBT game so even more valuable and built to last as that game requires thousand of shells a year. They stood the test of time.