PDA

View Full Version : New member & a 12ga GH

Sara LeFever
02-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Hi all!

I joined in August, when I had a Parker come rather unexpectedly into my life. My mother stumbled upon it while cleaning out my grandmother's closet. We knew there was a Parker gun in the family, but had no idea where it was, until then. My grandfather had probably placed it in the closet in the 2000s, before he passed away. The family story is that my great-grandfather won it in a card game (I would say some time after 1910).

The gun is a 12 gauge GH. I obtained the research letter, and it was ordered by the Salem G. Le Valley Co. of Buffalo, NY on June 20, 1899, shipped on August 12, 1899. Ordered with Damascus steel barrels with a length of 30 inches, straight grip. Requested weight 7 pounds, 14 ounces. Order placed by S.A. Tucker (from some internet searching, I believe he was a shooter and representative/salesman for Parker). Price was $80.00.

I shot trap with the gun twice last Fall, and everything is in working order. I have attached a few photos from the day we found it. I was going to try and take better ones today, but not having much luck with lighting (February in western NY...)

--Sara
(And if anyone is wondering about my last name - I am the great-great-great granddaughter of Daniel "Uncle Dan" LeFever, and I usually shoot a Lefever 12 gauge H grade :) ).

Daniel G Rainey
02-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Nice gun, great story !

Rick Losey
02-08-2018, 07:27 PM
welcome Sara,

western ny's diffused sunlight is great for taking pictures - as long as your finger doesn't freeze to the shutter button

nice family story, and when you get the chance - post some pictures of your name sake gun. you'll find a few fans of those here as well

Garth Gustafson
02-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Welcome Sara! You have shotguns in your blood. Congratulations on that nice find. We all dream about finding a Parker in a closet. There are quite a few LeFever fans on this site, you'll feel quite at home.

Sara LeFever
02-08-2018, 08:01 PM
when you get the chance - post some pictures of your name sake gun. you'll find a few fans of those here as well

Thanks for the welcome!

Of course, I look back and realize I do not have many photos of my Lefever! The first photo is when I first received it, and the second is next to the Parker. Brian Dudley refinished and recheckered the stock on my Lefever during the time between the two photos, so there is a big difference. He did an awesome job.

Mills Morrison
02-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Welcome to PGCA Sarah! I am a member of the Lefever Collectors too.

Frank Cronin
02-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Great story Sara. I wish I could find a Parker hidden in the attic or chicken coop....

I'm a Lefever fan too. My go to gun is also a H grade.

Daryl Corona
02-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Welcome Sara. I came into the Lefever game just recently as a member and by scoring a sweet little H grade 20. A straight grip GH is a great find.
Please consider joining us in June at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow for the Fox/Lefever challenge. Your H grade would be perfect and besides I don't think we have ever had a lady shoot the challenge.

Randy G Roberts
02-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Nice gun Sara, great story line as well. Bring it to Sanford this spring with the Lefever of course. Lots of things to be learned and shot there. Best of luck with it.

Sara LeFever
02-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Please consider joining us in June at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow for the Fox/Lefever challenge. Your H grade would be perfect and besides I don't think we have ever had a lady shoot the challenge.

Thank you for the welcome! I have been to the Northeast a handful of times, and usually shoot with some of the Lefever guys. I'm planning on being there this year too. I just started shooting in 2013, and have not done much, so I'm not very good at it. Maybe someday!

Sara LeFever
02-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Bring it to Sanford this spring with the Lefever of course. Lots of things to be learned and shot there. Best of luck with it.

I am planning on Sanford in April. It'll be the first time I've been there, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Randy G Roberts
02-09-2018, 08:28 AM
I am planning on Sanford in April. It'll be the first time I've been there, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Great. You're gonna like it. One of my favorites if not the favorite event of the year. Look forward to meeting you.

Brian Dudley
02-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Sara. And the PGCA.

davidboyles
02-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Love those SXS toting gals you will meet some friendly good people. I took my 37 year old daughter to the Southern SXS and she was a big hit! Even bought her a new gun!! Everyone was really very cordial to her and she appreciated the attention.

Mike Franzen
04-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Hey Sara, come to the 5 stand venue when you get a chance. That’s where most of our members end up at some point. Would like to meet you and introduce you to Julia. She’s a shooter like you.

Rich Anderson
04-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Sarah a lot of us shoot at nearby Drakes Landing in the mornings. It's easy to get in a round or two before you head over to Deep River. Come join us, in addition to the Parker shooters there will be some LeFever's floating around as well.

Sara LeFever
04-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Hey Sara, come to the 5 stand venue when you get a chance. That’s where most of our members end up at some point. Would like to meet you and introduce you to Julia. She’s a shooter like you.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try and find you guys!

Sara LeFever
07-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Thought I would just add on to the original post regarding my 12ga GH. I had the opportunity to pattern it today with Pete Lester. Both barrels came out to be 88% with 7/8 ounce of #8 at 40 yards, which is super full.

Sara

Mills Morrison
07-07-2020, 12:01 PM
That is great!

Randy G Roberts
07-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Hey Sara. That is an impressive pattern to say the least. Did you by chance try any 1 oz loads ?

Sara LeFever
07-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Randy,
No I didn’t try any 1oz, since I don’t usually shoot that.
Sara

Randy G Roberts
07-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Randy,
No I didn’t try any 1oz, since I don’t usually shoot that.
Sara

I have always heard the 7/8 oz load patterns better then the 1 oz in most cases. I was just curious to see if this was the case. I doubt it could pattern any better. I'm jealous of that pattern BTW.:bowdown:

Pete Lester
07-07-2020, 03:56 PM
I have always heard the 7/8 oz load patterns better then the 1 oz in most cases. I was just curious to see if this was the case. I doubt it could pattern any better. I'm jealous of that pattern BTW.:bowdown:

It's a great gun with good dimensions, choked for trap shooting, duck goose and turkey hunting.