PDA

View Full Version : New here helping out a friend

Pete.Lawler
01-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Good evening,
My best friend passed away Christmas morning and I'm trying to help out his wife in liquidating some of their stuff so she can move. One of the items she needs to sell is a Parker Brothers double barrel shotgun. I'm trying to get the value of it and find potential buyers. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a link to an online album to pictures of the gun. By the serial number, it was manufactured in 1893. I have not cleaned it yet or anything, just took pictures.
Thanks for any help,
Pete

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hge1speo8MWkiAoZWaJFQg-hprSOmHLi

Mills Morrison
01-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend.

What is the gauge?

Pete.Lawler
01-13-2018, 08:47 PM
This is the information I received from a different forum.

You have a P grade 10 ga with 32" barrels. It is a top lever with hammers and looks in good condition. A repro plate from Galazan would help the value and if bore is good it could bring 900 to 1200.

Brian Dudley
01-14-2018, 06:50 AM
The estimate of price value may be a little high there.

Pete.Lawler
01-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Thank you for your comment. I have no idea about this class of weapon, so I appreciate all advise. Just need to get her sold.
Pete

John Dallas
01-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Hmmm. Wonder how many PM's have been sent.

Brian Dudley
01-14-2018, 11:17 AM
“Firearm”.

“Weapons” are used on people.

Rick Losey
01-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Hmmm. Wonder how many PM's have been sent.

yup, another short cut from membership cost to sell

the condition of the bores is critical to the value

but - with the damage to the toe of the stock, the very well worn checkering, and heavy "patina" - i expect the bores show signs of lots of use and some pitting

i would agree with Brian - that value is high- might be from a blue book type of publication rather than real experience buying and selling them

Pete.Lawler
01-14-2018, 02:19 PM
I stand corrected on the Weapon vrs Firearm.
I'll take a look at the bore to see if there is any pitting or shadowing in them. The initial value I received was from a very highly recommended collector but I only had a few pictures of Parker at the time. I have not spoken to him since I took more pictures.

I have not received any PMs or emails inquiring about purchase or anything else. I'm preparing to post on Gun Broker as soon as I can get set up.

Rick Losey
01-14-2018, 02:51 PM
the reason for the comments Pete is that only paying members are supposed to offer guns for sale

but- your idea is, IMHO, the correct one - post an honest description and good clear pictures on Gun Broker- without reserve - and the gun will find its value

Pete.Lawler
01-14-2018, 03:11 PM
the reason for the comments Pete is that only paying members are supposed to offer guns for sale

but- your idea is, IMHO, the correct one - post an honest description and good clear pictures on Gun Broker- without reserve - and the gun will find its value

Understand and thank you. I don't want to violate any rules or cause any problems, just trying to help a friend of 30 years. Thanks to all.
Pete

Bob Brown
01-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Pete, according to the serialization book 71796 is actually a 0 grade, 10 gauge, with 32" plain twist barrels. Parker didn't use the P grade designation until later.

Pete.Lawler
01-15-2018, 06:56 PM
I've been told different things by 3 people on this.
One says it is a P grade
One says a 0 grade
One says its a grade 1

Which one is it and what's the difference?

Mills Morrison
01-15-2018, 08:43 PM
It sounds like it is a 0 grade. Difference? Really not that much. Grade 1 and grade 0 Parkers were very similar. 1 grades would be of slightly stepped up quality.

Dean Romig
01-15-2018, 09:34 PM
It is a PT quality gun which translates to Plain Twist barrels on a grade-0 gun. Generally speaking, a grade-1 or P grade would have the designation T or T1, L or L1. Laminated Steel was considered superior to Plain Twist though a handful of grade-1 guns were made with Twist Steel barrels. In the 71XXX range scant few grade-1 guns were made. Though the Serialization book lists your gun as a PT it could still be a grade-1 considering the level of engraving and the fact that it was checkered. Nevertheless you can't make a grade-1 gun from something legitimately identified as a grade-0.

Garth Gustafson
01-15-2018, 09:44 PM
Having twist barrels is a strong indicator you have a Grade O (the lowest grade) hammer gun. And your receiver has the familiar zig-zag border engraving, also indicative of Grade O guns.

Dean Romig
01-15-2018, 10:04 PM
The 'zig-zag' or 'graver walk' border engraving is also found on grade-1 hammer guns. I have owned several grade-1 hammer guns with this engraving but with Laminated Steel barrels. The barrel steel is generally accepted as the indicator of grade in these lower grade guns.

Here's one of mine.

Pete.Lawler
01-24-2018, 06:24 AM
Thanks all for your input. Getting ready to list her on Gun broker tomorrow afternoon. Biggest issue I find with this firearm after spending some time with it is there is a small ding in the barrel. Looks like it hit an edge of something. It is small but looking down the bore, there is a shadow.
What price range should I list it at?
Thanks again.