PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storrm Grayson

Harold Lee Pickens
01-05-2018, 08:03 PM
So how bad is it where you live? I am glad we have nothing but frigid, sub zero temps here on the Ohio/WV/Pa border. Weather channel pics look pretty brutal along the East coast. Hope everyone is fairing well.

Daniel Carter
01-05-2018, 08:23 PM
It's just winter, little colder, little snowier, little earlier. It will all even out in the end.

Dean Romig
01-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Yup, we've seen it a lot worse.
Only got 12" - 14" with temps in single numbers and gusts up to about 60 mph.
It'll be over in a few weeks I suppose.

Daryl Corona
01-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Winter sucks! 5 degrees here tonight but we were spared the brunt of the "Bomb Cyclone" that hit really hard east of the Chesapeake. By the way, for many years our storms coming up the coast were called "Noreasters" now it's a Bomb Cyclone. I'm just sick of this crap weather- it's too cold to even sit in a deer stand let alone run the dogs on some birds. Come on spring.:banghead:

Harold Lee Pickens
01-05-2018, 08:37 PM
spoken like the stoic New Englanders we expect! I raise my glass of bourbon to you.
Hang in there Daryl--Drakes Landing not to far in the future

allan.mclane
01-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Just another good "Old Fashioned" winter!

Daniel Carter
01-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Harold thanks for the reminder, know what i forgot tonight

CraigThompson
01-06-2018, 12:28 AM
As long as Dullus is open 2/15/18 I can endure until then 😉👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

William Davis
01-06-2018, 06:54 AM
We had strong wind in Virginia Beach, recorded gust to 50 mph. Few of the offshore buoys recorded 70 knots. Hard to say how much snow, some spots my house 12 inch drifts others 2 inches . Good thing it went through fast, we get tidal flooding from long periods high winds storm passed during low tide. Did not see any real damage.

I expect it could have been worse in New England, storm seemed to move further offshore. Weather Bouy on George’s Bank recorded very high wind and sea. 45 feet on the 5th.

I will say over 50 years experience on the waterfront including a weather forecasting correspondence course while in the CG I never heard of a “ Bomb Cyclone” Do they make these names up for TV ratings ?

William

Dean Romig
01-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Yes they do!! They smugly invent new names for things that have always been, giving them 'ownership' of those things. How about "thunder snow"? As far as I've always known, it is simply a low-level atmospheric electrical disturbance that can occur during rainstorms, snowstorms, or even in excessively dry windy conditions, that is known as lightning - not "thunder snow".
How about all of the new names for every single full moon in the last couple of decades?
Before that we only had the twelve full moon names the Native Americans knew them as.

bob weeman
01-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Cold and deep snow here in Denmark. Ten below this morning so not quite as cold as it has been. Cold but absolutely beautiful in the woods. I will be going out today on the back country skis or snowshoes to read the stories in the snow. Chores first though...roofs to shovel and snow to move....neighbor fell and broke a rib and dislocated his shoulder so I need to do some snow removal down there too....good neighbor who owns 300 acres around me of good hunting grounds.....will need to get the diesel tractor going.....warming up fuel to put in as well as putting a hair dryer in the fuel filter usually does it....

Dean Romig
01-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Bob, you should get to know my good friend Lenny who lives down on Moose Pond Rd.

He's a helpful neighbor.

George Davis
01-06-2018, 08:09 AM
We would really appreciate a little of you cool air (not cold) and lots of your moisture here in Arizona. Arizona is enduring a usually warm winter and receiving almost no winter moisture. We face a potential major wildfire season this spring and summer without some winter moisture.
PS: It's not easy hunting quail in mid-seventy's over hard dry ground.

Dave Suponski
01-06-2018, 09:50 AM
We got 18” here in Southern CT. I haven’t shot in about 3 weeks everything I own is reloaded!!! But it is what it is......I would love to see a 30 degree day. I can’t remember the last one

John Campbell
01-06-2018, 10:16 AM
...I will say over 50 years experience on the waterfront including a weather forecasting correspondence course while in the CG I never heard of a “ Bomb Cyclone” Do they make these names up for TV ratings ?

William

YES! Dean said it previously. And just yesterday I heard that these current storm "names" (like Grayson) are NOT attached by the National Weather Service.

They are a total creation of The Weather Channel. Why? Ratings and viewership!

How's that? Because any storm with a "name" is subconsciously connected to a hurricane, which is presumed to be horrific. And BAD weather gets viewers. Nobody tunes in to hear how sunny, warm and pleasant it is.

Russell E. Cleary
01-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Grayson; Bomb Cyclone; El Nino; Polar Vortex; rip currents -- all either concocted or adopted for show business. Action; horror or disaster movie-name stuff.

Current (11:06 a.m.) objective facts from the weather observatory a-top Mount Washington, New Hampshire:

Wind speed: 77mph
temp.: -34
wind chill: -86

REC

Bruce Day
01-06-2018, 11:40 AM
I saw on TV NY Mayor DiBlasio saying the storm was unprecedented, the worst ever and evidence of recent weather changes brought by global warming. On the weather channel the weather woman was saying this was not as bad as the 1978 storm that hit NY.

This is all very confusing to me out here on the plains.

Rick Losey
01-06-2018, 11:50 AM
This is all very confusing to me out here on the plains.

why??- it shouldn't be :rolleyes:

Prince Andrew of NY said the same thing

its the agenda not the facts

Shawn Wayment
01-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Gonna be 60 here in Colorado on Tuesday...almost to warm to hunt quail :rotf::whistle:

Kurt Sauers
01-06-2018, 12:27 PM
We had strong wind in Virginia Beach, recorded gust to 50 mph. Few of the offshore buoys recorded 70 knots. Hard to say how much snow, some spots my house 12 inch drifts others 2 inches . Good thing it went through fast, we get tidal flooding from long periods high winds storm passed during low tide. Did not see any real damage.

I expect it could have been worse in New England, storm seemed to move further offshore. Weather Bouy on George’s Bank recorded very high wind and sea. 45 feet on the 5th.

I will say over 50 years experience on the waterfront including a weather forecasting correspondence course while in the CG I never heard of a “ Bomb Cyclone” Do they make these names up for TV ratings ?

William

One word. Politics

Rick Losey
01-06-2018, 12:40 PM
its a shortened - and sensational version of a meteorological term

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/bombogenesis.html

but as many have said - the naming of snow storms is a marketing gambit from the weather channel -

if i was naming them - they'd all have four letters :biglaugh:

seriously- in the north east - this stuff happens every year - the media spreads panic- people rush to stores and buy more milk and bread than they can use in a month-

the plow truck drivers get some overtime - and i use the 4WD to take my wife to her office -

wait for the melt

repeat as needed until March

Dean Romig
01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
On the weather channel the weather woman was saying this was not as bad as the 1978 storm that hit NY.

The entire Northeast actually.

I can certainly agree that I haven't seen a worse snow storm than the '78 blizzard. It started on Feb. 6 of '78 and I couldn't get home for three days and nights and Kathy was home with two little girls worrying about me while I was worrying about them.
Then on Feb. 6th of '79 I crashed into a tree when I was forced off the road... and I didn't get home for almost eight weeks.:banghead:

edgarspencer
01-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Real Meteorologists don't say 'bomb cyclone' or 'Category Five' hurricane.

Rick Losey
01-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Real Meteorologists don't say 'bomb cyclone' or 'Category Five' hurricane.

because they are scientists not marketers

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn428/harabas2/avatar_2961.gif (http://s322.photobucket.com/user/harabas2/media/avatar_2961.gif.html)

edgarspencer
01-06-2018, 04:09 PM
because they are scientists not marketers

Damn straight they are. I know one whose father sold his BHE20 so she could get her Masters degree.

Jim DiSpagno
01-06-2018, 06:11 PM
And you should damn well be proud Pal

Dean Romig
01-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Maybe I'll just go fishin'...

edgarspencer
01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
And you should damn well be proud Pal

Certainly am, Jim. The bigger markets (she’s in NOLA) are that much harder for girls to crack the glass ceiling. She might have made chief when she was up in Myrtle Beach, but they didn’t pay much. I have mixed emotions about her chucking it but she’s co-anchoring a big cable sports show. She hunts, fishes, free dives. If I could just get her to put that auto loader down and shoot a Parker.

Daryl Corona
01-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Gonna be 60 here in Colorado on Tuesday...almost to warm to hunt quail :rotf::whistle:

Poor baby. I'll trade you in a heatbeat.:):crying:

Pete Lester
01-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Anybody remember the late 1970's in the northeast? They were so bad we were told it was the beginning of a new Ice Age. I wonder if Leonard Nimoy regretted participating in this TV show.

1kGB5MMIAVA

I survived the Bombogenisis of January 2018