PDA

View Full Version : Parker question

Phillip Carr
12-12-2017, 09:14 PM
I was talking to a friend today about Parkers. I believe I remember reading about a high grade Parker with great wood, nice finish with no engraving. Does anyone remember a gun like this or am I mistaken. Thanks for any information.

Jeff Kuss
12-12-2017, 09:29 PM
I believe one sold at auction in the last year or so. An AHE if I recall.

Dean Romig
12-12-2017, 09:35 PM
There is a known BHE that matches your description as well.

John Truitt
12-12-2017, 10:35 PM
I know of a BH or BHE 32"er that has been on team Parker for the challenge event several times over the years.
The gun is shot very well by its owner. It is a neat gun and owned by a very fine gentleman.

Phillip Carr
12-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a few were ordered this way.

Dean Romig
12-12-2017, 10:47 PM
John, That's probably the one I referenced... owned by Mr. C ?

Bill Murphy
12-13-2017, 04:33 AM
There exists an unengraved CH Acme steel gun and an unengraved Whitworth barreled AAH, both safe in the same PGCA member's collection. The BH unengraved gun is a 31", the other two are 30".

Brian Dudley
12-13-2017, 07:56 AM
I have seen an unengraved DH.

Steve Huffman
12-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Never say never in the Parker world ! I have a CH that was ordered without checkering on the forend.

Jeff Kuss
12-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Bill's AAHE is the one I was thinking about.

Rich Anderson
12-13-2017, 01:11 PM
what would be the point in paying for a high grade gun with no engraving? If you wanted the nicer wood and checkering it could (I presume) be ordered on a std VH/VHE.

Bill Murphy
12-13-2017, 08:03 PM
It is an AAH, not an AAHE, and I have no idea why someone would order such a gun, but the fact is that he did. Right there in the order, "no engraving". I imagine the guy who could explain the reason has been dead for over a hundred years.

Russ Jackson
12-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Things like this make you wonder ! But it sure is a beauty Bill , Congrats again !

John Truitt
12-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Personally I can see the appeal.

On a hammergun you would get the carved bolsters (D grade and higher). On a hammerless B grade or higher you would get the lines/ rings that outline the bolsters.

IMO would make for a very clean action but with all the lines of a high grade gun. Not saying I would order one that way but I can see the appeal.

Just goes to show Parker would do just about what ever the customer wanted.

Now the question would be did Parker give a discount on the original price of these guns do to the lack of engraving? (less man hours/ etc)

Does anyone know this?

Dave Suponski
12-14-2017, 06:56 AM
Interesting. We have a member that has a VH that was ordered with C Grade wood. A wonderful gun. Never say never......

Kirk Potter
12-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Interesting. We have a member that has a VH that was ordered with C Grade wood. A wonderful gun. Never say never......

That would seem to make more sense to me if you wanted a “clean” look, order a VH with a upgraded stock and even upgraded barrels if you wanted..

Brian Dudley
12-14-2017, 08:20 AM
The idea was that the barrel steel quality was better as the grade went up. You got a “better gun” because the barrels were “better”. Parker woild give a doscount for no engraving. Maybe $25.00 from some examples i have seen. Which was the cost of a Trojan when it was introduced. So it was a significant amount of money at the time. So, the customer got a “better” gun and saved some money to help out with soending the extra money on the barrels. Other than that, who knows the reason.

William Davis
12-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Or he may have intended to have it engraved himself. Engraving is a very personal choice, some prefer specific types.

William

Bill Murphy
12-14-2017, 09:09 AM
The "adjustment" for no engraving on the CH was $37.50, or 25% of the list price. The "adjustment" for no engraving on the AAH was a very minimal $125.00. I am as confused as the rest of you.

Brian Dudley
12-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Or he may have intended to have it engraved himself. Engraving is a very personal choice, some prefer specific types.

William

I doubt that was the case. As the guns would have left the factory case hardened, leaving engraving after the fact very difficult.

Dave Noreen
12-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Perhaps the purchaser wanted a gun with the fit and internal finish on the parts of the higher grade. Years ago 'Babe' showed some sets of internal parts with the polish for different Quality guns -- as I recall parts for a 7 or 8, parts for a 5 or 6 and parts for a 4.

Rich Anderson
12-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Having a best quality grade gun with out any engraving isn't new or confined to Parkers. Purdey has had what they call the funeral model for a long time. IIRC it's a blued receiver with no engraving. Not my thing especially but for every Jack there is a Jill...somewhere.

Mark Ray
12-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Lots of very high grade Rizzini's, Perazzi's etc that have stunning wood, with almost no engraving. One fellow I shoot with has a VERY nice Rizzini 28, that he ordered with exhibition grade wood, and NO checkering! Not my cup of tea....but again, I didn't pay for or do I shoot the gun!

Mike Franzen
12-14-2017, 12:22 PM
The Double Gun Journal a few years ago featured a WW Greener that was a high grade and had no engraving. It is one of the most elegant shotguns I’ve ever seen.

Ken Hill
12-14-2017, 12:24 PM
i don't want to get off topic but, there are some A1 Parker repros with no engraving. Some people must have ordered them in the white and just finished with a a case color. Maybe they didn't like the standard factory engraving or didn't want to pay for engraving.

Ken

Phillip Carr
12-20-2017, 08:57 PM
I bought the gun today and hope to have an article ready for the cut off date of January 15 for the Parker Pages if I can get some more information from the seller. I am told it is a 3 generation Parker. Also sent in the form for a letter.

Merry Christmas,
Phil