PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

James Michael Moyer
10-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Alright fellas, couple of newbie questions here, I'll just go with "there is no such thing as a dumb question" saying and leave it at that. I went from 0 Parkers to 2 Parkers in 2 weeks. I think I have been bitten but the bug. I have always just been a shooter and not a collector. Guess I'm straddling the fence post now. I have tried using the search tool and still can't find a definitive answer so maybe this will help more newbs like myself. These arose trying to fill out the letter request.

What are the following differences of

Lifter
Top Action
Back Action
Hammerless (obvious)

What are the following differences on butt types

DHBP
Skeleton
Checkered (I see the difference here but may help someone else)
Recoil Pad (obvious)

Grip Type?

Capped Pistol Grip
Straight
Round
Ball

Also, not a gunsmith and never claim to be. I have never owned Damascus anything. So I don't want to do anything that hurts or can't be undone. With that being said, I do like to keep my guns clean. Can u clean these barrels just like any other blued gun or no? Use a bore snake or no? Best way to clean bores? Best way to clean outside? Would it be best just to send to qualified gunsmith first to totally breakdown and clean? At this point I have done nothing to clean them and my OCDness is KILLING ME HERE.

One other question and this is not the answer I wanted but still not going to ignore advice if it continues BY QUALIFIED gunsmith, of course. I've taken both guns (both demascus) to a local gunsmith. Without hesitating and with no inspection he said never shoot them only because they are demascus. I asked "even with special shell" he said no. My intentions are to shoot these guns sparingly year to year. That's what they r meant to do in my opinion. I want to take care of them but use them also. THe gunsmith admitted without hesitation also that these guns are not his specialty and I respect that. So my plan of action has been, order the letters, make sure there is no provenance that would make me not want to do certain things, send them to qualified gunsmith for inspection/repairs to bring them into shooting shape, get thumbs up or down, shoot them if possible, then decide to restore or not in the coming years. Is that the correct way of thinking? Most seems to be big on this Brian guy as a gunsmith and said it just takes time to get gun(s) which I am fine with too.

I know it's a long inquiry but may be helpful to have this info in one spot for the rookies... I'll go ahead and apologize for my OCDness too cause I know it drives people crazy. I promise I mean well though. One of my other hobbies is boats, lord knows I pick the wrong hobbies.

Robin Lewis
10-24-2017, 12:33 PM
James, I suggest that you go to our main web page www.parkerguns.org and on its left side is a list which are links to other pages. Click on a few and I think it will answer 90% of your questions. In particular look at "Parker Identification", "Parker Grades" (pictures will solve many of your most basic questions), "Technical Information" and look over the FAQ link too.

I am confident these pages will get you well on your way.

If you tell us where you are located (State will do) maybe you have a "qualified gunsmith near you that someone can post or PM to you?

James Michael Moyer
10-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Great state of AL. War Eagle.

Mills Morrison
10-24-2017, 01:51 PM
There are several good books out there too, the best of which is The Parker Story.

Robin Lewis
10-24-2017, 04:41 PM
One other question and this is not the answer I wanted but still not going to ignore advice if it continues BY QUALIFIED gunsmith, of course. I've taken both guns (both demascus) to a local gunsmith. Without hesitating and with no inspection he said never shoot them only because they are demascus. I asked "even with special shell" he said no. My intentions are to shoot these guns sparingly year to year. That's what they r meant to do in my opinion. I want to take care of them but use them also. THe gunsmith admitted without hesitation also that these guns are not his specialty and I respect that. So my plan of action has been, order the letters, make sure there is no provenance that would make me not want to do certain things, send them to qualified gunsmith for inspection/repairs to bring them into shooting shape, get thumbs up or down, shoot them if possible, then decide to restore or not in the coming years. Is that the correct way of thinking? Most seems to be big on this Brian guy as a gunsmith and said it just takes time to get gun(s) which I am fine with too.

As I pointed out above, look at the links on the main page. I just looked over the FAQ link and saw that this question may be answered in FAQ #1 in the "General Parker Knowledge" section. I forgot that was there....:banghead:

charlie cleveland
10-24-2017, 07:05 PM
if your barrels are in fair shape you should be ok to shoot gun ws with proper ammo... keep presure low and you will be ok...coupla good companys out there that sale low presure ammo suitable for our old damascus barreled guns....charlie

Mills Morrison
10-24-2017, 07:22 PM
What Charlie said. Most folks on here use RST

Tom Pellegrini
10-24-2017, 07:28 PM
James,
I have three Parkers and two of them have Damascus barrels. I shoot them both just about every week. Just as Charlie mentioned above, if the barrels are fair or better shape then by all means use the proper ammo and enjoy.
Tom

Brian Dudley
10-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Any gunsmith who tells you not to shoot a damascus gun simply because it is damascus has no business looking at or working on vintage doubles.

James Michael Moyer
10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
There are several good books out there too, the best of which is The Parker Story.

Its already on its way!

James Michael Moyer
10-25-2017, 10:47 AM
What Charlie said. Most folks on here use RST

That's what I have heard too. I have ZERO experience with these shells to bu have good things.

Paul Harm
10-25-2017, 12:28 PM
I have about 10 Damascus barrel guns and shoot them all [ one or the other ] three times a week. You could visit our reloading forum and start reloading your own. Good luck.

Ted Hicks
10-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Any gunsmith who tells you not to shoot a damascus gun simply because it is damascus has no business looking at or working on vintage doubles.

I am not a gunsmith, but I tell guys that a lot...and then offer to buy their gun for cheap. For their safety of course.

James Michael Moyer
10-25-2017, 12:39 PM
I am not a gunsmith, but I tell guys that a lot...and then offer to buy their gun for cheap. For their safety of course.

In all honesty, I think the gunsmith admittedly knew he was over his head. He said he had been trained on all of it but did not trust his abilities because that is not what he focused on. I respect that about a person when they tell you that. He even went as far as describing the processes used to bring the guns back. With that being said, he was very excited about the gun and even said if I get the clear to shoot it, he would buy the lunch, the shells and the rounds.

Just sent off for my 10g letter yesterday and dropped another in the mail this morning on the 12g I got two weeks ago, I didn't have the barrel length at the office. Reading on this forum is like drinking from a firehose but all great info.

Ted Hicks
10-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Most gunsmiths could likely tell if the condition of the bores and barrel wall thickness were safe. After that, as previously mentioned, use low pressure ammo of the right chamber length and you should be fine.

Robin Lewis
10-25-2017, 01:12 PM
I suspect that some gunsmiths may not want to give damascus a "good to shoot" blessing. Given all the years of "don't shoot damascus", if something did go wrong, he would have one hell of a time protecting himself in court. A gunsmith my "know" the gun is OK but be reluctant to say as much because he would then have some liability, which he can easily avoid by not commenting or by saying NOT to shoot it.

Michael Moffa
10-25-2017, 09:25 PM
James:

War Damn Eagle, Welcome to the afflicted, I live in Auburn and know a little (especially compared to most of our members) about the Parker. I have all the books and would be happy to introduce you to them.

Spin