PDA

View Full Version : A Little ID Help Would Be Appreciated

John Liles
10-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Good afternoon All,
I had occasion to look at a couple of guns this weekend that belonged to a good friend who passed away last year. His wife asked if I might be able to give her some idea of what he had, and she'll decide whether or not to keep them in the family or let them go.
She had a couple of Elsies, an Ithaca, and a 20 gauge Parker in pretty darn nice condition. Can someone tell me what the book says about VH (I think) 150756?
As some of you know I'm pretty well versed on the LC Smith gun, but mostly what I know about Parkers so far is that I like to hang out with the guys that shoot them!
Thanks for any insight you can share.
John

Wayne Owens
10-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Not in the book.

Dean Romig
10-09-2017, 05:55 AM
John, there are surviving records on 150756 to support a research letter.

The lady might benefit by your ordering one.
It probably wouldn't tell you more than you already know about the gun, it being only a VH.

John Liles
10-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Wayne & Dean,
Thanks guys, I'll definitely order one, as I'm not sure about anything Parker. The case colors appear cyanide to me, does that sound about right for a VH?
Thanks again,
John

Dean Romig
10-09-2017, 06:24 PM
The cyanide colors lend more credence to it having been at Remington or DelGrego, as Meriden would not have used cyanide and both Remington and DelGrego would have.

Are there any Remington repair codes on the left barrel flat close against the lug?

Dean Romig
10-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Sorry - double post.

Dean Romig
10-12-2017, 07:07 AM
John, I looked for 150756 in the Griffin & Howe data base for Parkers bought or sold by either A&F or VL&D and it was not there unfortunately.

Rick Losey
10-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Good afternoon All,
but mostly what I know about Parkers so far is that I like to hang out with the guys that shoot them!

John

:rotf:

John- can you get pictures? especially of any markings - some of the real experts may be able to give you a better opinion of the colors and such things as has the wood been replaced or redone

Chuck Bishop
10-12-2017, 01:24 PM
VH, 20ga. with 26" Vulcan barrels and a pistol grip.

John Liles
10-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Good evening friends,
The gun is not in my possession at present, but a fellow enthusiast will be in striking distance shortly after the Fall Southern. Mike Harris, who was with me when I met the gun, recalls that there were lots of stampings on the barrels. The fellow who will see it soon is going to take lots of photos, which I'll post here once I've got them in hand.
Mr. Bishop, you've confirmed that she's presently as she left the factory, but I'm interested in the repair codes, if that's what they are, stamped on the flats.
I still plan to order a letter, but lately I should've been twins at work, and just haven't found the time to mail off for it! I figure that if/when she decides to part with it, the letter will be a nice touch, and us Elsie guys feel like a research letter makes our guns worth more as it verifies whether a gun has been altered....plus we don't have that nifty little flat spot on the end of our top rib to help verify barrel length originality!
Thanks again for everything, and I'll follow up shortly after the Southern. Hope to see some of you there!!
John

Brian Dudley
10-14-2017, 11:26 PM
Apart from dating the repair codes, you really cannot know more.

There are no records to tell what the repairs were. One can only speculate.