PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture

Jack Cronkhite
07-17-2017, 05:58 PM
These are the left and right faces of that sad orphaned D frame. Something ain't right. Who will be first to notice (and it is not the gouged metal where someone drilled away to almost remove a screw). Enjoy, Jack

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=769&pictureid=9392http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=769&pictureid=9393

Jim DiSpagno
07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Jack, looks like the hinge pin is not centered and beaten

charlie cleveland
07-17-2017, 06:06 PM
jack it looks to be a hammer or punch mark on the hing pin...looks like a good shooter to me...charlie

John Campbell
07-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
shouldn't the left end of the hinge pin have a slotted cap screw?

Jack Cronkhite
07-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Gotta look a bit closer but you are getting warm. Only thing left in this frame Charlie is the pin and and the roll. Also barrels destroyed years ago. So it will take a lot to become a shooter but anything is possible with a bit of money, time and inclination to do so. I'm thinking that wouldn't be me. Keep looking though and you will get what's wrong. Cheers, Jack

Jack Cronkhite
07-17-2017, 06:46 PM
And we have a winner with John's critical eye. I have never removed a roll pin and the roll but I have these orphaned frames and 3 still had the roll and pin. I decided to play. I removed the roll and pin from a Trojan and learned it takes pretty hefty smacking. Also learned if I wanted to do this with a good gun not to use a flat punch. When I inserted this assembly into the D frame, it was a bit tighter than when in the Trojan. I remembered a set of punches with a round face and that didn't flatten the pin when re-inserting. Anyway, just playing today and definitely a D should have the slotted screw and pin, which are two pieces. I have started to appreciate the refinements in the Trojan, which were really cost cutting I'm sure but they are every bit as functional. By redesigning the top lever, Parker saved the fiddling with the round bolt/square bolt assembly. They also used a single sear spring to function for both sides and a single pin for the roll, saving the cost of drilling and tapping the pin and making the screw to fit. (mind you it doesn't look as nice imho). The forend iron has quite a different set-up which probably cost 1/10th of the Anson Deeley latch. Anyway, playing today but Charlie, I"m mostly playing with the '45 Farmall parts.
Cheers,
Jack

Jack Cronkhite
07-17-2017, 08:14 PM
So here are the two types of roll pins that both fit the roll. The simple pin is from the Trojan. The screw and pin is from a hammerless gun. When you look at all those threads, then add moisture and 100 years you can imagine why it is so hard to undo the screw which is why we see so many buggered screw heads on the roll pin. Never really any need to remove these pins unless there is some major catastrophy.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=771&pictureid=9411http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=771&pictureid=9410

Brian Dudley
07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
The first few years of all hammerless parkers had the old style 1pc hinge pin.

So, if the frame is in fact an early gun, there is in fact nothing "wrong" with it.

Jack Cronkhite
07-17-2017, 09:52 PM
The frame is 1901 manufacture. I think that should be the two part pin. But have learned now that early hammerless were also a simple pin. Thanks.

Brian Dudley
07-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Yes, a 1901 gun should have a 2pc pin. So that frame, incorrectly, had the eatlier style pin in it.

Jerry Harlow
07-17-2017, 10:23 PM
One will also see a different length screw in the two piece units. If I remember the later ones were shorter. Perhaps it saved a penny or made it easier to disassemble after the years.

Jack Cronkhite
07-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Brian: The frame did not have a roll and pin. I just played and took the pin and roll from one of the orphaned Trojan frames and then wondered if it could be inserted into the D frame. It did fit. So Parker Bros did not put a simple pin into this 1901 D.

When absolutely everything is removed from a frame, what can be done with it? If it were a beautiful D frame, I suppose a guy could round up the innards and a set of barrels and some wood and bring it back to life or ... ???

Brian Dudley
07-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I have dozens. From time to time, I sell off stripped frames as paperweights for $20 usually.
Some use them for engraving practice, or CCH trials. I have cut them apart to make jigs out of.
Putting a gun back together from one using misc parts, though it can be done, is a daunting task for most.