PDA

View Full Version : Just Received My "New" Gun

Gerry Addison
07-11-2017, 02:11 PM
I just got back my Parker DHE in 16 gauge on a number 1 frame that David VandenBrand restored for me. When I purchased the gun it was totally original but very well used, stock showing years of use with many dings, scratches, and dents but no cracks. Ejectors weren't working properly and bluing was well worn but barrels were in excellent condition. I made the decision that it needed to be gone over, repaired, and put back into excellent condition. I sent it off to Dave and he worked his magic on the gun. He refinished the stock and recut the checkering, blacked the barrels and trigger guard, repaired two buggered screws, and repaired the ejectors, bent the stock to give me 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 X 14 1/4 over the original skeleton butt plate. The gun is now in perfect working order, beautiful to look at (the wood is much nicer than I expected), has great dimensions, and ready for another 100 years. I couldn't be happier and really glad I had it all done. Dave is a great guy to deal with and love his work.

Marty Kohler
07-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Where are the pictures???

Gerry Addison
07-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Well, photo bucket that I always used for hosting my pictures has decided to charge $400 per year to handle the pictures. I'm trying to decide if I'll do that or not.

Robin Lewis
07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
$400!!!!!! That's nuts!

Why not just post them here? If you need help posting pictures, go to www.parkerguns.org (http://www.parkerguns.org) and click on its FAQ link. At the bottom of the FAQ page are two videos links that may help you post pictures.

NOTE: the most common problem posting pictures to this forum is trying to upload images that exceed the file size restrictions. One of the video links addresses that issue.

Here are the size restrictions:

Gerry Addison
07-11-2017, 04:28 PM
We'll try this and see how it works, don't know why the pictures got rotated but you get the idea:
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9385
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9386
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9384
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9383
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9382
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9380

edgarspencer
07-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Gerry, Is that a Remington gun, or was it restocked by Remington? The nose of the comb is much more akin to the Remington stock than the Meriden stock.

Dean Romig
07-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Super nice work on the stock! I like that gun a lot.

I don't think Edgar thoroughly read your introductory paragraph...

Mark Landskov
07-11-2017, 07:54 PM
It was stated that the stock was refinished and checkering re-cut, not restocked.

:duck:

edgarspencer
07-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Super nice work on the stock! I like that gun a lot.

I don't think Edgar thoroughly read your introductory paragraph...

It was stated that the stock was refinished and checkering re-cut, not restocked.

:duck:
Yes, Dean. I did read the whole thing. Twice in fact. I was not asking if the gun was restocked in the restoration. I clearly read that it was cleaned up and the checkering was recut.
What I was referring to was the nose of the comb does not look like a Meriden stock, and very much like a Remington stock. Just because you didn't understand what I wrote doesn't mean I didn't understand what I was asking. ����

Dean Romig
07-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Yes, Dean. I did read the whole thing. Twice in fact. I was not asking if the gun was restocked in the restoration. I clearly read that it was cleaned up and the checkering was recut.
What I was referring to was the nose of the comb does not look like a Meriden stick, and very much like a Remington stock. Just because you didn't understand what I wrote doesn't mean I didn't understand what I was asking. 👍👍

:vconfused:

Thanks Edgar. I'm glad we got that cleared up.:cheers:

Bill Murphy
07-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Gerry, can we get a better look at your gun rack or cabinet?

Kurt Sauers
07-12-2017, 10:04 AM
You finally got if back and in my stock dimensions. Looks great

Gerry Addison
07-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Here you go Bill. Sorry it is rotated but I can't figure out how to rotate it upright. I believe it has to do with the size of the picture but I can't seem to correct it.

http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=768&pictureid=9391

Stephen Hodges
07-12-2017, 10:25 PM
Here you go:

Gerry Addison
07-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Thanks Steve!

Dave Sizemore
07-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Some fine "uplanders" are in this room!

edgarspencer
07-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Gerry My question which Dean and others misunderstood, was; Is it possible this (your) gun, obviously made in Meriden CT, was restocked by Remington at some time in it's life BEFORE you undertook the excellent restoration?
The reason I ask is because features on your stock (nose of the comb) are very common to Remington's style of stock making, and quite uncommon to the stocks made in Meriden, prior to the move to Ilion.
The enclosed pictures are of one of my D grade guns. It is ovbious this gun was made in Meriden CT, mostly by the banner style engraving of 'Parker Bros.', However, you will see that the drop points are very characteristic of Ilion work, and would never have had such straight sides if made in Meriden. This gun has a large 'R' stamped, in the upper tang groove, if my memory serves me, and there is a single Remington Repair code stamped on the bottom of the left barrel flat (March, '36 if I recall)Unlike your gun, however, the comb nose on mine is more like that found on Meriden stocks.
An interesting aside about this gun, perhaps only to me, is that it belonged to my father, and he traded it to Pete Harvey in July of 1976, towards a 28ga. H&H Badminton grade (with every option, effectively making it a Royal) He had other similar Parkers, and I can only assume he traded this particular gun because of the single trigger. The gun appeared at Hausmanns, and while the serial number was screaming at me, I intended to buy it anyway, and only confirmed it was once my fathers when I plowed through his very good notes. My dad has been gone 32 years but I'll bet he'd get a chuckle out it.

Gerry Addison
07-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Edgar, I haven't gotten a letter on the gun but I certainly will and might be able to answer your question then.

Bill Murphy
07-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Gerry, is the area in front of the gun rack a table for viewing guns or is it at floor level?

Gerry Addison
07-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Yes it is a work bench area and it goes completely around the room with gun racks on two walls and loaders on the third wall.

Dave Tatman
07-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Having been in Gerry's gun room with him on a couple of occasions, let me assure you that is quite an impressive set-up. Only to be out done by the even more impressive collection of fine upland doubles that grace its racks. Well done, Gerry.

Dave

Gerry Addison
07-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks Dave, I think you are trying to butter me up to buy a gun cheap!

Kurt Sauers
07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
If i thought that'd work, I'd send over a truck load

Harry Collins
07-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Gerry, just a reminder that I'm up for adoption.

Gerry Addison
07-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Unless you are 5 foot 2, very shapely, with blonde hair and blue eyes (which I doubt with a name like Harry), I don't think I'll be adopting you! My wife said no more kids!

Kirk Potter
07-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Wow Gerry, I think I'd make that room my bedroom!

allen newell
07-14-2017, 11:45 AM
LOL

Gerry Addison
07-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Gentlemen, I had forgotten that when I bought this gun it came with a factory letter dated December 18, 2009. The gun matches the letter exactly, right down to the weight, and LOP. It was built in 1923 and sold for $166. Both barrels were choked to place 220 #7 pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards. Neat to know it is exactly as it left the factory.