PDA

View Full Version : OT-But Parker Related-Gun Safe

Paul Ehlers
12-30-2016, 11:12 AM
I purchased new gun safe back in August. I was very disappointed with the long gun shelf/rack. It was obviously made for single barreled guns & it was set so short that I assume it was intended for AR style black guns.

I asked the safe manufacturer if they would make me a new rack which would be more compatible with SxS shotguns. They basically told me I was on my own if I need a rack like this.

I took matters into my own hands & thought I would share my solution to the problem. All it takes is an old piece of scrap plywood, do a layout, cut a bunch of 2" holes with a hole saw, finish the cut-out the way you want it, route the edges & paint it with Plasti-Dip to make a none marring surface. The only costs involved were for the Plasti-Dip

Here's some before & after pictures of the issue & results.

George M. Purtill
12-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Very nice. It is a good solution.

Daniel G Rainey
12-30-2016, 03:03 PM
great idea !

Dean Romig
12-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Who is the manufacturer of the safe?

charlie cleveland
12-30-2016, 07:27 PM
glad you soled the double gun problem in these safes...i have a browning safe with the same prpblem....charlie

Jerry Harlow
12-30-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't think they even design them for anything but single barrel guns. Rifles with scopes take up two slots obviously.

I bought a nice Liberty safe recently. All of the slots handle short guns only except for the front ones. When you put a pump or semi-auto shotgun in these so it will sit upright, and then close the door, it hits the stocks, scratching the wooden ones, causing them to fall over, and when you open the door, they jump out at you. Poorly designed. I'm going to have to run a strap across the front to keep them in place.

Great job solving the double gun problem on your part.

John Dallas
12-30-2016, 09:03 PM
I bought a custom-made safe from Mike Smith (http://m.smithsecuritysafes.com) Here's will make up whatever you need. I think he's the best.

Paul Ehlers
12-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Who is the manufacturer of the safe?

Mine is a Superior Safe

John Cinkoske
01-01-2017, 10:15 PM
It's not very aptly named...

Linn Matthews
01-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Did you consider anything that might be in the Plasti-dip and how it might interact with the bluing on the gun? Just a thought.

John Cinkoske
01-04-2017, 05:44 AM
Parkerman brings up a good point.

Rich Anderson
01-04-2017, 11:49 AM
A great solution. I have one that needs modification. I bought it for the Pre64 M70's but even for the guns without scopes the spacing won't allow guns to sit next to each other due to the bolt handles touching the gun next to it.
The manufacturers want to get 40 guns in a 20 gun safe.

Dean Romig
01-04-2017, 12:10 PM
The manufacturers want to get 40 guns in a 20 gun safe.

Right Rich.... Browning says my safe will hold 47 long guns.... Yeah Right!:rotf::biglaugh::rotf:

Rich Anderson
01-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Bolt action rifles with scopes need 3 slots per gun......don't ask me how I know this:eek:

Dean Romig
01-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Even with my svelte SXS Parkers I can't get more than about 35 guns in it... and to do that, I need to stand every other one on its muzzles. I'm awful glad I have two Browning safes.

Rich Anderson
01-04-2017, 03:01 PM
I bought one at Menards just for the non scoped rifles and needless to say it didn't work out. I'll need another big safe and re configure this one and take it to the house up north........or quit buying rifles:whistle:.....no that won't work either:rotf:

Chad Hefflinger
01-04-2017, 09:23 PM
I bought a custom-made safe from Mike Smith (http://m.smithsecuritysafes.com) Here's will make up whatever you need. I think he's the best.

I will second Smith safes, I just loaded my behemoth Smith safe in a trailer to move this weekend to my wife an I new home on the lake. Mike made mine so when the door is swung all the way open you can remove the door, this splits up the weight pretty well and makes them much easier to move. He also made the inside of mine with extra wide cutouts for double barrels per my request.

Paul Ehlers
01-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Did you consider anything that might be in the Plasti-dip and how it might interact with the bluing on the gun? Just a thought.

Yes, I did think about the possible risks involved with using a chemical coating. I decided that I would experiment and keep a very close eye on the guns for any signs of trouble caused by it. If I find anything of concern I'll go to plan-B which is to cover each cut-out with lambs wool & a light coating of rig applied to where the gun would rest.

I've had the shelf installed for almost a month now & haven't seen anything which alarms me yet.