PDA

View Full Version : recoil pad brass plate show through

keavin nelson
11-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Having just put a nice galazan pad on a short stocked gun, only to have the brass inner plate come through just as we were doing the final buff:crying:.

Small area but!!!!!

Question is, thought of making a "paint" out of the rubber dust, but wondered what would work as a solvent.

Or, anybody have a better answer?

Dean Romig
11-13-2016, 10:15 AM
I would chalk it up to experience and start fresh with a new pad. But that's just me - I don't like to settle for "good enough" when something can be made perfect and can be a source of personal pride.

Brian Dudley
11-13-2016, 10:53 AM
What pad did you use that it had a brass plate in it?

John Campbell
11-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Mr. Nelson:
You don't specify which type of Galazan pad you used. Or the size. If you attempted to grind down a large sized pad too far, this might happen. It's always best to start with a pad as closely sized to your gun's butt as possible.

As Mr. Romig suggests, perhaps a new pad is the best solution.

Justin Julian
11-20-2016, 05:35 PM
I believe the Pachmeyer decelerator pads have a plate inside them....which is why I don't use them anymore. Go with the classic Silvers style recoil pad and you'll never have to worry about that issue again.

Brian Dudley
11-20-2016, 05:38 PM
They used to. I dont think they do anymore.

Gary Carmichael Sr
11-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Brian, speaking of buttplates do not mean to highjack this thread but have you seen the metal pistol grip plates before on Parkers? Gary

Brian Dudley
11-24-2016, 01:47 PM
The one on your A grade lifter is the first one that i have physically seen.

keavin nelson
11-24-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks all, the silvers are bit stiff if max recoil absorbtion is desired, but a new pad is likely the way we will go.

Brian Dudley
11-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Kick-eez pads are great for recoil absorption and they install nicely. But they may not have the look you are going for.