PDA

View Full Version : Parker Reproduction Goodies

Scot Cardillo
10-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Going through the safe I took notice of two distinctly different PR manuals which reside.

Of the other copies I have - the bottom one differs.

I believe I have done been hornswoggled..did I get a reproduction of a Reproduction?

How do yours compare?

Kenny Graft
10-25-2016, 05:55 AM
I have seen a few reproduction owner books, they are on smooth plain type paper and do not have the rugged pressed look of the originals heavy stock cover and back. Its very easy to spot one from the other. SXS Ohio

Bob Jurewicz
10-25-2016, 06:49 AM
Bottom one looks like it could be a repro. Little too tall and border lines not found on originals that I have.

Scot Cardillo
10-25-2016, 07:04 AM
It is made of heavy card stock and does have the pressed texture similar to all others I have (which are identical to the top manual).

Not sure it's relevant but it did come w/one of the guns that has an "F" lug stamp. (28ga)

George M. Purtill
10-25-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm jealous- I have none.
The lower one is not a copy of the upper so someone would have to go to a lot of work to make up a whole new one instead of simply making a good copy.

Dean Romig
10-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Why would anyone make a reproduction of a catalog that has minimal collector value?

Could they be early and late versions?

George M. Purtill
10-25-2016, 07:52 AM
That seems logical Dean.

Scot Cardillo
10-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Dean - that's somewhat my sentiment as well.

Although I am a fan of the PR & although much paper is in fact reproduced - I would not have guessed that the manual would have yet reached the level of collectibility in order to make reproduction worth the time.

I know the trade labels have been reproduced, but of course there's a practical need for such so that's moot.

My guess ~ just a different version whether that be early or late.

The depiction of the gun in the bottom photo has no detail whatsoever, more of an inkblot image.

Greg Baehman
10-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Speaking of early vs. late . . . here's what is believed to be the earliest and very first Parker Reproduction brochure. You will notice that nowhere in the brochure are the guns referred to as a Parker Reproduction (with a capital P and capital R), but rather, in this particular brochure only, they are called The Parker Gun or The Parker Gun by Winchester. You may also notice that the brochure mentions that the gun was available with a SSBP or DHBP. It's assumed that Tom Skeuse subsequently named the guns Parker Reproductions in order to get around the naming rights protected by Remington.

Dean Romig
10-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Very nice pictures Greg, thanks. That explanation of the "Parker Reproduction" makes perfect sense.

Scot Cardillo
10-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Figured you would be along to take us to school Greg, thanks for the pics.

Interesting that Kenny has seen repros of the Repros..would that constitute a repo :duck:

Robin Lewis
10-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Going through the safe I took notice of two distinctly different PR manuals which reside.

Of the other copies I have - the bottom one differs.

I believe I have done been hornswoggled..did I get a reproduction of a Reproduction?

How do yours compare?
Other than the covers, are they identical?

Scot Cardillo
10-25-2016, 01:43 PM

Off to try and scare up a Pheasant or ten w/pup for the day tommorrow..I'll give it a close look when we get back.

George M. Purtill
10-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Speaking of early vs. late . . . here's what is believed to be the earliest and very first Parker Reproduction brochure. You will notice that nowhere in the brochure are the guns referred to as a Parker Reproduction (with a capital P and capital R), but rather, in this particular brochure only, they are called The Parker Gun or The Parker Gun by Winchester. You may also notice that the brochure mentions that the gun was available with a SSBP or DHBP. It's assumed that Tom Skeuse subsequently named the guns Parker Reproductions in order to get around the naming rights protected by Remington.

Thanks for sharing Greg.

Bill Murphy
10-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Wouldn't I love to find one of the DHBP 28 gauges?

George M. Purtill
10-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Bill
You will find it if it exists. However maybe it's just my imagination but I think there are several things they put in the catalogs that were never produced.

edgarspencer
10-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Wouldn't I love to find one of the DHBP 28 gauges?

It's buried in a pile of unicorn poop.

Phillip Carr
10-25-2016, 09:23 PM
I found this awhile back. Not much for value but letter came with the brochure.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50862&stc=1&d=1477444858

Phillip Carr
10-25-2016, 09:25 PM
http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50863&stc=1&d=1477445073

George M. Purtill
10-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Thanks Phil for sharing.

This is a request or question directed to our librarian Robin Lewis: I know that we have on our website copies of SOME Parker Reproduction literature, Do we have or can we create a chronological listing of the brochures and catalogues?

I have acquired a couple but I cant even tell what year they are.

Robin Lewis
10-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks Phil for sharing.

This is a request or question directed to our librarian Robin Lewis: I know that we have on our website copies of SOME Parker Reproduction literature, Do we have or can we create a chronological listing of the brochures and catalogues?

I have acquired a couple but I cant even tell what year they are.

"librarian"?

Yes, all the Parker Reproduction paper I have seen has been placed in the "Parker Grades" section of our web site. As far as their cronology, I have no idea about that. I think that would take some research within Winchester or the Skeuse family.

Maybe Richard Skeuse will chime in on this for you?

Ronald Moore
10-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Where can I find one of these books?, I need one for my gun.

Ron Moore
505-980-6018

Greg Baehman
10-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Where can I find one of these books?, I need one for my gun.

Ron Moore
505-980-6018
Assuming you're referring to a Parker Reproduction Owner's Manual you can see one online here: (Start with the last pic and work your way back through the pages by clicking on 'Previous Picture').

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=655

Others have obtained a hard copy by placing a WTB ad on our PGCA Members Only Forum. I have also seen them listed for sale from time-to-time via other venues such as eBay or gunbroker.com . . . just like the guns, they are where you find them.

Scot Cardillo
10-27-2016, 03:51 PM

No discernible difference between the two with respect to content.