PDA

View Full Version : STRANGE REPRO CHECKERING

Bob Jurewicz
10-21-2016, 06:45 AM
What do you make of the checkering on this 28 GA Parker Reproduction?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns-reproduction/winchester-parker-repo-dhe-28-ga-side-by-side-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=100765824

Bob Jurewicz

Buddy Marson
10-21-2016, 07:46 AM
It appears this gun has been restocked. From the pictures it looks like a very nice job too. What's missing is the mullered border around the checkering. Or it could very well be just a re-cut checkering job without the mullered border?

Brian Dudley
10-21-2016, 08:10 AM
That gun has not been restocked. Just the oriignal high gloss urithane removed and an oil finish put on. And the checkering recut with no botders at all.

If only a correct checkering pattern would have been used with nice borders, that woild be a very nice gun. But it is instead just another gun in the pack of guns that is just not quite right. :banghead:

Hal Sheets
10-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Extra 36" barrels for a 28ga ? Is that correct?? Now that would make for a great swing through. Or make a great buggy whip.

Brian Dudley
10-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Likely a typo. 26" would be my guess.

He also advertises it as a lightly used high condition gun. So he is not to be trusted as knowing much about these things.

The price however, is pretty fair.

edgarspencer
10-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Likely a typo. 26" would be my guess.

He also advertises it as a lightly used high condition gun. So he is not to be trusted as knowing much about these things.

The price however, is pretty fair.

I think it's a bit harsh to say Northwest is "not to be trusted". I don't think they made any assertions about originality, merely saying it's a 'high condition' gun They have been around a long time and, in my estimation, are very knowledgeable about American guns. Perhaps they aren't up as much as you, on Reproductions, but in my experience, they are a pretty trustworthy shop. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone misinterpreting a statement you made and saying you're not to be trusted as knowing much 'about these things'.

I think "pretty fair" is an understatement. Seems well below market for a single barreled gun. The extra barrels are a bonus.

ForrestArmstrong
10-21-2016, 10:09 AM
I sorta like it, too bad it has single trigger.

Daniel G Rainey
10-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Enjoyed everyones observations on the 28 ga. from Guns International. Help teach newer members like me what to look for when looking at a gun.

Eric Eis
10-21-2016, 11:14 AM
regardless, that is a nice gun at a very fair price, I'm even thinking about it and I already have one, just a nice shooter, someone buy this one, quick..

Scot Cardillo
10-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Looks like a nicely executed checkering refresh to me.

I'd be inclined to request just a few close-ups to verify before pulling the trigger..that's a nice 'un & I'd be sorely tempted if it was a PG.

Scot Cardillo
10-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Enjoyed everyones observations on the 28 ga. from Guns International. Help teach newer members like me what to look for when looking at a gun.

The overall build quality & consistency is quite good if you are contemplating a P. Repro.

Checkering, while effective, often leaves a bit to be desired on many.

Beyond the typical checklist when considering a double..just seek out your desired configuration and be prepared to act fast if it's a gun that speaks to you for whatever reason preceded by a few close up photos to assure build quality and represented condition overall.

Brian Dudley
10-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Edgar,
When someone calls a gun with a lot of case wear, refinished wood and incorrectly recut checkering a "lightly used, high condition gun". I see a problem with that.

The way i see it, using the term "high condition" means high ORIGINAL condition. Maybe i interpret that incorrectly...

edgarspencer
10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Brian, While 'High Condition' isn't as overused as 'Minty', it's still tiring. I'd like a buck for each time it was used in the descriptions in the most recent, well publicized gun auction. That notwithstanding, there's no correlation between 'condition' and 'originality'.

*FLASH* This just in. The Gun has been purchased by a member who just called me, and agreed, it's in 'high condition'. He told me I could quote him "I'm as happy as a dead pig in sunshine" I guess that's happy, just never heard that one before.

Scot Cardillo
10-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Saw that quick sale coming from a mile away..congrats to the new owner on a very nice purchase.

Now we await close ups of the checkering :corn:

Bill Murphy
10-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Priced way under the market for a 28 in any condition.

Eric Eis
10-21-2016, 02:27 PM
I am so.....so glad someone bought that temptation. And I am really glad it was member here as that was a hell of deal as far as I was concerned.

ForrestArmstrong
10-24-2016, 11:24 AM
The Gun has been purchased by a member who just called me, and agreed, it's in 'high condition'. He told me I could quote him "I'm as happy as a dead pig in sunshine".A dead pig in sunshine would definitely be in high condition!