PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Chamber Pressure -- Parker Reproductions

Victor Wasylyna
10-19-2016, 11:08 AM
I am curious what those shooting Parker Reproductions, particularly 12 gauge Parker Reproductions, consider as a maximum safe chamber pressure. Are you comfortable shooting loads that generate 10,000 psi? 10,500 psi? 11,000 psi? Where do you draw the line?

-Victor

Eric Eis
10-19-2016, 12:07 PM
I am curious what those shooting Parker Reproductions, particularly 12 gauge Parker Reproductions, consider as a maximum safe chamber pressure. Are you comfortable shooting loads that generate 10,000 psi? 10,500 psi? 11,000 psi? Where do you draw the line?

-Victor

Yes, these guns were designed for those kind of pressures, now my shoulder not so much....:shock:

Dean Romig
10-19-2016, 12:39 PM
But I can't think of a reason to do so.

Greg Baehman
10-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Read this, it may help you to make up your own mind.
http://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/tom-roster/important-information-about-shotshell-pressures.html

Victor Wasylyna
10-19-2016, 12:46 PM
But I can't think of a reason to do so.

Waterfowl?

Dean Romig
10-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Yeah but..... "This in turn tends to eventually crack wood and begin to break little parts within the action and trigger group. So, it is never wise or safe – and nothing positive is ever accomplished – by firing modestly excessive pressure loads in any shotgun."(Tom Roster)

And we all know the Repro's reputation, even with perfect wrist grain, of stock wrists breaking for 'no particular reason'.
You'll probably be fine shooting 10,000 - 11,000 psi loads - nothing negative may ever happen.

Greg Baehman
10-19-2016, 01:47 PM
And we all know the Repro's reputation, even with perfect wrist grain, of stock wrists breaking for 'no particular reason'.
Dean, would you please cite a documented example or two of that actually happening.

Dean Romig
10-19-2016, 02:00 PM
We can all go back to older posts on the forum by using by using the Search tab at the top.
Here's one by Harry Sanders from October 4th on the thread about Brian Dudley's stock work.

"I'll chime in too. As soon as I drop the first birds with it I'll show the Repro that broke at the wrist under only recoil while shooting clays that Brian has put right. I believe he has some photos and the work is stellar. I've just been waiting to get to my Grouse and woody woods to put it to use. He stocked it to my dims and I don't shoot clays but my attitude toward the gun and Luck? I shot 74 in 100 the first time and only time out this summer with the gun."
Last edited by Harry Sanders

Victor Wasylyna
10-19-2016, 02:30 PM
So let me provide a bit more context. I plan to load some waterfowl shells (2.75 inch) for use in a 12 gauge Parker Reproduction. Therefore, I am more concerned about clean kills of relatively large birds (mallards and Canada geese) and less concerned about my shoulder. I am also concerned about the shotgun--not so much the barrels as the stock (a nice thin straight grip). Looking for your thoughts on maximum pressure for a modern and effective waterfowl load with minimum risk to the wood.

Greg Baehman
10-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Victor, you may be able to get some meaningful advice if you can show us pics of the gun, showing the species of wood, whether your gun is stocked in Juglans Hindsii or Juglans Regia and how the grain flows through the wrist area.

Victor Wasylyna
10-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Victor, you may be able to get some meaningful advice if you can show us pics the gun, showing the species of wood, whether your gun is stocked in Juglans Hindsii or Juglans Regia and how the grain flows through the wrist area.

See this thread:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18368

Greg Baehman
10-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Victor, I'm sure you realize you don't have the ideal heavy duck and goose waterfowler there. Your gun with 2 3/4" chambers and weighing just 6 3/4 lbs. is at a disadvantage when targeting the species you're after. Will it work? Yes, in a pinch with the right load and a disciplined and judicious choice of the shots you take. In regards to the pressure, your gun was designed and built to shoot any 2 3/4" load that falls within SAAMI specs. You're concerned with pressure somehow damaging your gun's stock, however; it's actually recoil that you need to be concerned with. Pressure has very little to do with recoil. Because of the relatively light weight of your gun I would choose a load that throws 1 1/8 oz. of shot at less than 1350fps. By doing so, I believe that the recoil would be manageable for both you and the gun.

I would be interested in what others have to say.

Dean Romig
10-19-2016, 08:29 PM
I agree with that Greg.

Victor Wasylyna
10-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Victor, I'm sure you realize you don't have the ideal heavy duck and goose waterfowler there. Your gun with 2 3/4" chambers and weighing just 6 3/4 lbs. is at a disadvantage when targeting the species you're after. Will it work? Yes, in a pinch with the right load and a disciplined and judicious choice of the shots you take. In regards to the pressure, your gun was designed and built to shoot any 2 3/4" load that falls within SAAMI specs. You're concerned with pressure somehow damaging your gun's stock, however; it's actually recoil that you need to be concerned with. Pressure has very little to do with recoil. Because of the relatively light weight of your gun I would choose a load that throws 1 1/8 oz. of shot at less than 1350fps. By doing so, I believe that the recoil would be manageable for both you and the gun.

I would be interested in what others have to say.

Good point, Wild Skies. Chamber pressure is relevant to barrels, while recoil/energy is more specifically relevant to other components of the overall shotgun. If you consider 1.125 oz at 1350 fps a good ceiling, then (per my calculations) 1.25 oz at 1280 fps would be an equivalent energy load. I think I'll shoot for 1.25 oz at 1200 to 1250 fps, which will work great for my short term needs (woodies over decoys).

George M. Purtill
10-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Greg seems right on.
Victor- for your purposes, I would search for a Steel Shot Special. I have one and it is my waterfowl gun of choice. I can stick any shell I can buy down its chambers and not worry(except for the 3.5 inch cannon shells). And the recoil is nothing.

edgarspencer
10-22-2016, 10:32 AM
search for a Steel Shot Special. I have one .

eh hmm, one?

Victor Wasylyna
10-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Tomorrow is day two of our duck season (Ohio's North Zone). I will be shooting factory Hevi-Shot loads pushing 1.25 ounces at 1300 fps. Will see how it goes and use as a benchmark for future loads.

Today I shot the DH 10 gauge. Boy, that was fun!