PDA

View Full Version : Why does the Repro case cover stop fitting?

George M. Purtill
05-06-2016, 05:59 AM
I have several Repro cases with covers. Most are extremely tight and I mean tight. I have to be careful not to gouge the leather case at the corners when zipping them up. I have one I just got to cover a case I bought at the Southern from Steve Barnett and I cant get the dang thing to zip closed at all.
Why??
My son the engineer says the plastic piping shrinks and pulls the corners in.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Solutions?

Greg Baehman
05-06-2016, 07:21 AM
I currently have five Repro cases and have had a few others. Each and every one of them fit snugly -- just the way, I believe, they were designed and intended to be and the way I prefer them. Mine have not shrunk. They fit. I would much rather see them this way than some after market case covers you see that are loose fitting and sloppy looking.

How about posting a couple of pics showing us what you're describing? Have one of the pics show the complete case closed up with the handle shown.

Bill Murphy
05-06-2016, 10:09 AM
There are some variations in cases and covers, even within similar gauge and barrel length specs. I don't know what, exactly, those variations are, but the message is "Don't buy a cover without the case in hand". I have an undersized cover in my collection, but don't know what to do with it. Believe me, I will find a use. My recently acquired .410 Parker found a home in a long ignored A&F compact trunk case after I owned the case for many years.

Greg Baehman
05-06-2016, 11:13 AM
I have one I just got to cover a case I bought at the Southern from Steve Barnett and I cant get the dang thing to zip closed at all.
Why??

There are various sized Repro cases, there are 12-ga. cases, there are 20/28-ga. cases, each can be had for either 26" or 28" barrels lengths, there are two and three barrels cases, etc. Perhaps you bought a 20/28-ga. case cover and you're trying to fit it onto a 12-ga. case? The 12-ga. cases are about 1/2" wider than the 20-ga. cases.

Richard Skeuse
05-06-2016, 03:58 PM
George there is a possability that the case cover got switched whit a slightly smaqller one. Ask Steve if he can switch it for a larger case cover. As one of the posters states there were a few different sizes and several orders at Emmibi that could result in tight case covers. Thanks

George M. Purtill
05-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Greg and Richard: You probably have it right. I didn't buy the case cover, it was a gift sent to me by the seller of the case when he got back to Miss.
I only have 12 ga Repros and the cases and covers that came with my SSS's and SCC were originals. I will still say they are tight.