PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 28 Guage

Jim McKee
03-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Suggestions on reloading for a Parker Reproduction in 28 guage? What brand of hulls are easy to work with and which ones can last beyond one reloading?
Powders- wads, etc.?
Thanks!
Jim

Bill Davis
03-14-2016, 06:49 PM
AA-HS hulls--Unique powder--Claybuster HS wads. Good for 6-10 loadings!

Billy Gross
03-14-2016, 07:00 PM
I do a similar load with 20/28 Alliant powder. Billy

Matt Buckley
03-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Winchester HS are nice hulls to reload and last several loading's. I use various powder depending what I can get with HS wads. Longshot provides some nice recipes. Guys say the Remington hulls are good hulls and last well also. The only time I reloaded them on my Mec Jr. I had issues with being so tight on the first station where as the Winchesters are nice and smooth and pull off of the first station on my Mec nice.

Steve Kleist
03-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Jim,
I think I've tried to load most brands of hulls. Winchester AA hulls, hands down, are the best. 28 ga Remington STS hulls are difficult for me to load and crimp. I use Claybuster wads because they are inexpensive and good quality. My favorite powder is Green Dot if you can find it as it works well in 12, 20, & 28 ga target and field loads.....This is just my opinion, as I have not tried everything. They produce nice fast loads that pattern well in my 28 ga Parker Reproduction.
Good Luck.
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Joe Bernfeld
03-14-2016, 09:47 PM
+1 for Unique powder, AA HS hulls and Claybuster wads.

Rich Anderson
03-15-2016, 06:52 PM
I have used Unique for years but will try the Alliant 20/28 just because it's more versatile. if you load the Rem STS hull they will work better with a Rem primer. The Rem primers are tapered and will fit into the case much better than a Winchester primer. The downside to the STS hull is they don't last as long as the Win. IF you can find the old Win AA hull that's the way to go.

Kirk Mckinney
03-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Mr. Rich
I hate to change the subject but i am new to this form. I saw in a old posting that you told a guy to pm you for recipes for Low pressure low recoil RST hulls 2 1/2 inch 12 GAUGE. I would much appreciate any info on these loads you might share. I have a A.H.FOX Sterlingworth that I have fallen for deeply lol. Shooting RST shells at the skeet shoot is rather expensive at 4 boxes a trip. I shoot Quail,dove,ducks and skeet. Any info on these loads would be great. Thanks Kirk

Andy Humphriss
03-17-2016, 09:56 AM
I like AAHS hulls they crimp well and last about 5 reloads. Both universal and unique powder work well for me. Claybuster and AAHS wads seam to work equally well. My experence with STS hulls has not been very good, crimps are my biggest problem there.

Richard Flanders
03-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Remington STS hulls last longer than the WinAA hulls. They're more flexible and don't crack as quickly but do tend to get soft and not hold the crimp as well. I'm assuming that's what Andy is speaking of above. I use Longshot for all my 28ga reloading. I really treasure my older 28ga WinAA hulls that predate the thinner HS hulls.

Scot Cardillo
03-17-2016, 01:43 PM
I only reload .410 but fwiw I've had better luck with the STS hulls as compared to the newer AA hulls as well. (better crimps)

Greg Baehman
03-17-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm currently working through ~500 28-ga. AA old-style hulls and have another two unopened flats of these same old-style AAs ready and waiting to go when the current hulls expire. My pet load with these AAs utilizes Universal Clays powder, Claybuster CB1034-28 wads, W209 primers and 3/4 oz. magnum shot. (#7 1/2 for grouse/woodcock, #8 for sporting clays/5-stand and #9 for skeet).