PDA

View Full Version : Recoil pad question

Virginia Hessler
03-13-2016, 06:17 AM
Hi
Just finishing up a new stock for my DH. I realise it's no longer original, but what would be the most original pad to install ?
I am thinking Silvers orange with the big plugs or Hawkins with the vents. Not sure wich is more appropriate.
This is a 32 inch gun I don't think it ever had a skeleton but plate on it.
Second question is the original stock has quite a curve on the rear where the pad attetches.
Is this advantages or should I just cut it flat and screw the pad on ?
Thank you for any advice, Tom

Brian Dudley
03-13-2016, 08:49 AM
All this talk about pads has me tired out... At least it wont be another 28 days before it comes up again.

You cant go wrong with the silvers. They were available originally from a very early date, so they would be considered correct on pretty much any hammerless gun. Orange would have been more commonly used originally. But many do not like the bright look of a new orange pad and like the look of a newly installed red pad better. The simvers pads are available in both colors.

Dont cut the stock. A simvers pad will install (carefully) to a curved surfsce very nicely in most cases.

If your stock is original, has a curved surface on the butt and has no evidence of SSBP screw holes, it may very well have had a silvers pad originally. Does it have a small spur cut into it?

Virginia Hessler
03-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Brian
This is a new stock I just made. The original was curved, this one can be anything I want. Just wondering if there is a reason to curve it or a lot easier leave it flat.
Thanks, Tom

Brian Dudley
03-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Easier to do flat. If you ate making it new, i would recommend that.

Dean Romig
03-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Originally ordered in 1908 with a Silvers pad.

allen newell
03-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Time to replace that pad Dean? vintage look for sure though

Phillip Carr
03-13-2016, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Dudley;190624]All this talk about pads has me tired out... At least it wont be another 28 days before it comes up again.

Lots of new potential members popping in all the time. Also not every member reads every post every day. Im still learning, not everyone is an expert.
Pity our school teachers they get asked thr same questions every year. Even several times a day if they are teaching multiple classes.

Dean Romig
03-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Time to replace that pad Dean? vintage look for sure though

Nope... It will stay as long as I am its custodian. On my unique Parkers I prefer to keep them original in every way.

Brian Dudley
03-13-2016, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Dudley;190624]All this talk about pads has me tired out... At least it wont be another 28 days before it comes up again.

Lots of new potential members popping in all the time. Also not every member reads every post every day. Im still learning, not everyone is an expert.
Pity our school teachers they get asked thr same questions every year. Even several times a day if they are teaching multiple classes.

It was my attempt at some humor...

allen newell
03-13-2016, 03:50 PM
lol

Phillip Carr
03-13-2016, 06:47 PM
I was working with two English Expats all last week. Now them boys have a dry sence of humor.

Bill Murphy
03-17-2016, 02:50 PM
We can give you a better idea of what pad will work the best if you tell us the dimensions of the butt of the gun. Sand it flat. There is no reason to leave it curved. Big butt, Griffin and Howe repro Silver. Small butt, No Shoc. Medium butt, Hawkins with the flower cuts. They have another name, but you know what I mean.

tom tutwiler
03-17-2016, 05:03 PM
What's the date on the gun? If you want to be period correct there are a bunch of pads out there that will work. In my mind I'd use a different pad comparing a made in 1905 gun and made in 1935 gun.

Will Gurton
03-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the great photos Dean.

In the 3rd one down you can clearly see my dilemma with the New Silvers pad.

The original had a much thicker black base hard rubber plate in proportion to the Red/Orange soft rubber material, even on an un-squished pad.

The new ones seem too top heavy in the amount of Soft Rubber to Hard Rubber.

Will

Paweł Janusz
03-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Parker are such a stylish firearms I always think about leather covered pad, I cover very soft recoil pad with it and obtain just right cushion from it after it all dry, with two groves it really match the rest of the firearm design. I'm new to this forum and it's difficult for me to place picture, but will be happy to e-mail it to anyone per request. Thank you

Rich Anderson
03-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Dean my CHE Damascus barreled 20 has a pad worse than yours.:eek: One of the plugs fell out during a Grouse hunt and as it was crumbling before my eyes I replaced it with a new Silvers pad. It looks better now but has lost some of the panache it had. I retained the old one however.

Dean Romig
03-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Good that you kept it. It definitely needs to stay with the gun. I don't remember ever seeing that one.

Rich Anderson
03-23-2016, 02:03 PM
I have posted pics of it I'm sure. One of only 8 made with 26 inch barrels.

Leonard Bejger
04-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Where these pads also used on stocks that had a spur? If so, are replacements available with a spur? I've got a 1902 gun that I recently received but the pad is so deteriorated I thought it was just an attempt to replace a lost butt plate.

Pat Dugan
04-07-2016, 01:08 AM
Get a Silvers pad and Dustry might give you some advice on how to age it a little. I have a 20 ga DHE that I bought with a rotten Sivers Pad but had been Del Grego redone
At some time. I had new Silvers pad installed, then
Put Vaseline and Balistol on it for a few years and it now looks great.

William Davis
04-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Going to fit up some recoil pads. Have 2 Pumps than need pads none collector guns, be good ones to learn on. I have fitted a lot of Rifle butt plates on stocks that were finished or re-finished as part of the job. Never fitted one that preserved the original finish.

What jig do you guys recommend ? Brownell's has the B&R pad jig that seems to swing from a hook. Midway has the Miles Gilbert jig that holds the pad at correct angle for grinding.. Other one is the B Square, looks like the Gilbert.

Am well equipped with Band saw, Stationary Disk and Belt sanders. Just need the jig. All advice appreciated.

William

Brian Dudley
04-09-2016, 06:17 PM
I use the miles glibert jig. And it works to me.
I have never used the brownells jig, and cannot quite figure out how it would work.

William Davis
04-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Brian it looks to be the one that works, with your recommendation will buy one .

Thanks a lot.

William

Brian Hornacek
04-09-2016, 11:56 PM
I use the Brownells jig. You mount a shepards hook to a 12" disc sander. Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWxeBYG780

Mark Beasland
04-10-2016, 09:10 AM
I use the Brownells jig. You mount a shepards hook to a 12" disc sander. Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWxeBYG780

Thats what I use and i like it a lot . Like many things in gunsmithing as long as you get good results their can be more than one way to skin a cat.

Chuck Bishop
04-10-2016, 01:36 PM
When I would watch gunsmiths fit a recoil pad at large trap shoots, they were using the Brownell's J type jig. That's what I use attached to a 12" disk sander. Works great. They are sometimes back ordered.