PDA

View Full Version : 28 Guage Question

Jim McKee
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
What Reproduction Parker barrel length and choke combinations are used the most for grouse, dove, woodcock hunting?
Thanks!
Jim

Dean Romig
03-08-2016, 09:18 PM
26" or 28" choked IMP/MOD are the most commonly used for those hunting situations.

Joe Bernfeld
03-08-2016, 10:20 PM
For grouse and woodcock, which are normally shot at closer range, 26" Q1/Q2 would be best. That, or 26" IC/Mod, for doves.

Dean Romig
03-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Oh, I thought he was asking which were used the most, rather than which were preferred.

Bill Murphy
03-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Repro chokes run very tight compared to the stamped chokes. Q1 and Q2 should be enough for any bird you mention. If your doves are 30 yards farther out than your woodcocks, you maybe have to make an adjustment, but not much of one.

Dean Romig
03-09-2016, 09:28 AM
I agree that Q1 & Q2 chokes are preferred for those hunting situations and I prefer them myself, but it will be a lot harder to find a Repro with those chokes than a 28 gauge with I/M chokes. I was very successful at skeet, grouse, and woodcock with 26" I/M chokes before Kathy bought her Repro with 26" Q1/Q2 barrels. Now I borrow her barrels and forend whenever she's not using it.

Chad Hefflinger
03-09-2016, 09:29 AM
My 28" mod and full work well for grouse and woodcock with RST spreader and Woodcock loads. The barrel length was more important than choke to me on the repro. I originally thought I would open up the chokes, but I am very happy with the spreader loads.

Jim McKee
03-15-2016, 09:03 PM
Found a Parker Reproduction 28 bore, DT, PG and Beavertail Forend with 26 inch barrels- one set Q1/Q2 and the other set IC/Mod.
Thanks for the responses!
Jim

Dean Romig
03-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Jim, you are going to love that gun. Congratulations!

Michael Bartlett
03-25-2016, 09:02 AM
I too have found the 28 ga Repro IC/M chokes extremely over-choked for typical 10-20 yard opportunities over my setters. And, spreader #8's from polywad-the smallest size available-was the only shell that performed at those ranges. RST's 5/8 oz, #10's loaded specifically with a "brush-wad"-- available on request--have proved very effective for the right barrel, first shot over the dogs.

As a strong advocated of the late, Michael MacIntosh's concept of "Less is more", I have implemented the these changes to my 28 ga IC/M Repro which have optimized effectiveness in thick cover. Master NH gunsmith, Ed Lander, opened the right barrel leaving .002-.003 constriction and opened the left leaving .006-.007 constriction. Further, in the right barrel I now use hand-loaded 5/8 oz #10's with a brush-wad topped with a polywad spreader insert.
Patterning the right barrel with this new choke and load combination produces an optimal, evenly distributed pattern of #10's at 15 yards. #9's or #8 loaded with a brush-wad or spreader is optimal in the left in the early season. Regular skeet loads in the left are fine when the leaves are down. In grouse covers, I substitute a 5/8 oz spreader #9 or #8 in the right barrel.

After over forty-five years of grouse and woodcock hunting over multiple generations of setters, I have found no better combination of choke and load in the 28ga or 20ga for bringing out the best in your cover dog. That is, doing your part by hitting the bird over the dog's point in thick cover, when the dog does it right!

Brian Dudley
03-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Wow... You are the only other person than Ed Good that has actually mentioned having work done by an Ed Landers in NH.

Is it possible that he actually IS real?

Daniel Carter
03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
If it is the Ed Landers formerly of Middleboro Ma. who moved to N. H. number years ago count me as another fan. He made a good Ithaca out of two bad ones for a cost that left me thinking all he charged was the tax. Great stories of his trips shooting in England and buying old doubles to rebuild and resell here. When he wanted to test something he would step out the door and shoot into a dirt bank. Probably why he moved, got to crowded where he was

Greg Baehman
03-25-2016, 01:31 PM
I have heard good things about Ed Lander, the gunsmith. All of the good things that I have heard have never had an Ed Good connection. I once owned a 20-ga. 28" A.H. Fox Sterlingworth that Ed Lander had fit a set of 28" 16-ga. barrels to, making for a 20/16 bi-gauge set. No issues at all and it was loaded up with original Fox colors.

Michael Bartlett
03-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Same Ed Lander from Lakeville, MA. Originally from Grafton, NH, now alive and well in his late eighties in Alexandria, NH.

Sam Ogle
04-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Jim; You will have more fun than should be legal: I love double triggers, and the neat little beaver tail is great.
Sam Ogle

Bill Murphy
04-09-2016, 09:45 AM
The original Parker Brothers full choke is .020. The Repro full choke, at least mine, is .039.