PDA

View Full Version : Will a 20 ga BT work on 16 ga barrels

Ralph English
03-07-2016, 10:36 AM
If you add a 16 ga barrel set to an existing Repo. 20 ga that has a beavertail forearm, will the existing beavertail forearm work on both barrel sets? Thanks!

Brian Dudley
03-07-2016, 11:46 AM
I think you will have a problem with the barrel channel being too narrow for the 16g barrels.

Dean Romig
03-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Yes, indeed the 20 gauge beaver tail WILL fit the added 16 gauge barrels without any alterations. This is the voice of experience.

edgarspencer
03-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Yes, indeed the 20 gauge beaver tail WILL fit the added 16 gauge barrels without any alterations. This is the voice of experience.

While your success isn't surprising, Dean, I think the barrel profiles in the location of the fore end, especially in the latch area, forward to the tip of the fore end must be a lot closer than most. Firstly, I would assume the 16ga barrels were from an 0 frame, and, secondly, I think the 20ga. barrels might have a slightly heavier wall section in the fore end area.
As you know, I am attempting to add a second set of 20ga Titanic barrels to another 20ga. DHE gun. It's fairly evident the barrels will fit, and close up nicely, but the existing fore end will not latch, as the wood has come to bear on the barrels. This wouldn't be a problem, except I want to retain the use of the original barrels, and modifying the fore end is out of the question.
Micrometer measurements of the new barrel diameter show it to go from one end of the fore end, .010" to the other end, .018". The presumption that the barrel is heavier, by .006" to .010" in this area bears out when measuring the wall.
Hence, I am STILL looking for another 0 frame fore end.

Dean Romig
03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks Edgar - You may not have noticed that this thread is regarding Parker Reproductions.

The forend lug of the 16 gauge barrels needed a bit of filing for the existing beavertail forend latch to fit but no work was done to any part of the forend itself.

Brian Dudley
03-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Dean,
You are fortunate that your particular case worked out that way, but experiences i have had lead me to believe your good luck may not be the norm.

edgarspencer
03-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks Edgar - You may not have noticed that this thread is regarding Parker Reproductions.

Actually I did, but as I have been reminded so many times, Repros are IDENTICAL to the original:rotf:

Dean Romig
03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Repros are only "identical" to the original Remington Parkers.

Bill Murphy
03-07-2016, 04:20 PM
I realize that there are not many smallbore Parker or Repro parts floating around, so our experience fitting them back and forth is not extensive. However, I do have an original Remington-Parker complete beavertail on my 28 gauge Repro. If fits as well as the original Repro forend.

Kenny Graft
03-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I have lots of experience with this topic. It will be less than 50/50 weather barrels and for-ends will swap out O.K when talking 20ga or 12gauge. Now talk about the 410 and 28gauge they almost always will move from gun to gun in any combination and work perfect!...(-: SXS Ohio

Gary Laudermilch
03-08-2016, 09:51 AM
I have a 26" 20 splinter and a 28" 20 beavertail. The beavertail will not fit the 26" gun. It would take wood removal to make it do so and then I'm not sure how the hardware lockup would be.

Dean Romig
03-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Gary, that's very surprising, but I don't doubt your word. I would expect that two 20 gauge barrel sets would be contoured identically, regardless of length.

I had a 20 gauge with 26" barrels and 28" barrels and shared one beavertail forend between them. The fit was perfect on both barrel sets.

Gary Laudermilch
03-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Dean, it is close but the rear thin part that wraps around the barrel makes contact before it is past center. Since it is so thin at that point I would be hesitant to force it. I don't really have any desire to make the switch. I was just giving it a try after reading this initial post.

Dean Romig
03-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Nope, I wouldn't force it. Too much at stake.

Brian Dudley
03-10-2016, 07:27 AM
I have had to repair a few repro small bore btfes where the paper thin sides have been broken off from one thing or another. It is not hard to break them since they are so thin.

Gerry Addison
03-19-2016, 04:57 PM
I added a set of Galazan 16 gauge barrels to my 20 gauge repro which had a beavertail. Had Galazan's smiths fit the barrels and they had to open the barrel channel in the wood "just slightly" according to them to accommodate the 16Ga barrels.