PDA

View Full Version : C.O.B.'s Christmass

Rich Anderson
03-01-2016, 05:13 PM
After a lengthy session with various meetings with the board of review the Elves decided that C.O.B. had been more nice (though not real warm and fuzzy) than naughty for 2015.

Many factors were considered especially his renewed penchant for Pre 64 M70's and custom built rifles. He was commended by the board for his ability to come to terms with his shotgun addiction and although no Parkers were added there were four Fox guns and an English hammer gun. This showed the board that COB was duly trying to control his impulses:whistle:

C.O.B. had to account for his judicious spending of discretionary funds on his rifle acquisition's and his theory of "it is after all discretionary funds" really didn't hold up as the board wanted more evidence than just his word for it. His defense was that A) every bill was paid and on time, B) Mrs COB didn't lack for anything and a couple of nice pieces of antique furniture were added to the home décor and C) the new additions were after all investments. He added to the defense that his chores were always done in that the lawn was mowed, the snow removed an so on. He also pointed out that now that he's semi retired he did his best to help around the house by doing the dishes but when his efforts weren't being completed to the satisfaction of his life partner he abandoned the effort.
As another safe would be required to house these new treasures he decided to take the high road and come right up front with the needed vault rather than try to slide one in through some backdoor logic. This worked once but twice probably not.

All this was well and good but still the board wasn't convinced. They knew all to well of COB's methods of financial maneuvering and creative funding. Once again the high road was taken and discussed with the Chairman of his desire to collect all 18 std chambering of the Pre64 Winchester M70. When asked of the cost of this goal his only reply was "some will be expensive".

As the year came to a close COB had pretty much accomplished his goal. When asked about the expense he replied "they are there when you find them so grab them while you can". Such treasures as a 22 hornet carbine, 250-3000, 7MM both STD and Carbine, 35 Rem and 300 Savage, 338WM all found homes in the new safe. All that's left is a 300 WM and a 458.

In true COB fashion his penchant for custom rifles was never addressed and he wasn't forthcoming in the fact that another is currently under production BUT in all fairness he wasn't asked about these.

The rifle below is built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action in 25-06. This will fit in nicely between the 257 Roberts and the 257 Weatherby. At least that's the story he's sticking to.

charlie cleveland
03-01-2016, 06:32 PM
really nice...just this evening i broke a promise to myself not to buy another gun foir a while..i bought a customized remington made 1903 30-06 army rifle...charlie

Rich Anderson
03-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Promises were made to be broken:) You can't go wrong with an 06.

Michael Murphy
03-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Beautiful toy!

Gary Carmichael Sr
03-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Rich, You are going to have to limit your craving for these rifles! If not the wife and partner will buy more antiques and this will result in not just a new safe but a new house to put said antiques in! I speak from experience, I bought a new safe "Fat Boy" couple years ago swearing to curb this habit that we have, I did not make the grade so now we are adding on to the house to make room for a quilting room! needless to say every day that I look at this addition I see all the high grade hammer guns it would buy. At least with your post I feel better that I am not the only one with this addiction, Gary

Rich Anderson
03-02-2016, 08:56 AM
There's always a project. My smith is currently working on my adaptation of an English stalking rifle. He should be shaping the stock this week. Once again a Mauser action is being used. Caliber will be 275 Rigby.

There's never enough room. The wife and I were antiquing Sunday and two pieces of furniture caught my eye but there is no room. One shop has an oak china cabinet that's enclosed. She said she would buy it if I could find a place to put it. I thought it would make for a great place to store shells, bullets, primers ect. It's still at the store:cuss:

Gary Carmichael Sr
03-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Rich, The Mattie gun is nearing completion, I have a lot of shotguns but none will hold a place in my heart like this one. It has been along time coming, will shoot you some photos when I get it, the things we do for our four legged friends, past and present, Gary

Rich Anderson
03-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Gary I know what you mean. Gunner's gun is priceless to me. I look forward to the pictures.

Michael Murphy
03-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Rich, Your mind must work a little like mine when I look at furniture. I store bullets, loading dies, knives reloading manuals and hunting socks in an antique armoire.

Rich Anderson
03-02-2016, 10:14 AM
To much stuff and not enough room. I call it cramped my wife calls it clutter:rotf:

Jack Cronkhite
03-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I feel for you Rich. I resolved the safe problem by building a safe room. I thought that would take care of storage, while still being able to readily see the contents. Not sure how it happened but the safe room is now "cramped". Cheers, Jack

keavin nelson
03-06-2016, 02:02 PM
And then there is the issue of wall space, for the wonderful trophies and such! That too, runs scarce!

Rich Anderson
03-06-2016, 02:38 PM
What wall space???:eek:

todd allen
03-08-2016, 05:18 PM
A Mexican Mauser in 250/3000 came my way. I'll post a pic later

todd allen
03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Here we go;

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/luckydogx2/Mobile%20Uploads/1455230504871845785995_zpsmgbpnrbe.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/luckydogx2/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1455230504871845785995_zpsmgbpnrbe.jpg.html)

Rich Anderson
03-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Nice Todd and a great although underrated caliber. I have a Pre64 M70 in 250-3000 that's going west with me this fall provided I draw the tags.

My smith is working on a 275 Rigby using a Borno VZ24 Mauser action.

CraigThompson
03-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Shoot the only rifle I got last year was a 700ADL we rebarreled to 26 Nosler :crying:

But on the other hand "it was" what I wanted :rotf:

Almost forgot picked up a little Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 260 REM to replace one I had foolishly sold a year or two ago !

About the only rifle I'm really looking for is a Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA Carbine in 270 , 308 or 06 . And maybe a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in Triple Deuce !

todd allen
03-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice Todd and a great although underrated caliber. I have a Pre64 M70 in 250-3000 that's going west with me this fall provided I draw the tags.

My smith is working on a 275 Rigby using a Borno VZ24 Mauser action.

I have a hunt lined up, if all goes well. (Idaho mule deer) Still need to work up a load, but it's looking like a 100gr. Nozler Partition, at somewhere like 2900 fps. The alternative would be the 100 gr. Ballistic Tip.

CraigThompson
03-09-2016, 02:13 AM
I have a hunt lined up, if all goes well. (Idaho mule deer) Still need to work up a load, but it's looking like a 100gr. Nozler Partition, at somewhere like 2900 fps. The alternative would be the 100 gr. Ballistic Tip.
About three years ago I picked up a rather nice Ranger Arms left handed bolt rifle in 25-06 . I purchased it for my wife mainly because I got it about 1/3 of what I deemed it worth . Anyway while damage control hunting that year I used it with the Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tip in a handload and knocked the fire out of a large whitetail doe . I don't see any reason the bullet wouldn't work on a Mulie provided you put it through the ribs and both lungs !

I wouldn't have mentioned this other then the fact that I like the Nosler 25 cal 115 grain BT a bit more especially in the 25-06 . But a friend thats a died in the wool 25-06 man swears by the 100 BT in his rifles so I thought during Damage Control Hunting I'd give it a try and while I'm not gonna switch everything from 115 to 100 if push comes to shove and I'm out of 115's I think I can make do with the 100's !

Rich Anderson
03-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Todd do you know what the twist rate is on your rifle? The older ones like mine are 1:14 to stabilize the 85gr bullets to get the advertised 3000fps. A 1:8 or 1:10 is better suited when using the 100-115gr bullets esp the longer ones like the NBT or Barnes TTSX. I have some old Sierra 100gr soft points that are very short and will try them also I found some old Nosler Partitions 100gr that I have managed to work up loads for that will deliver one inch groups @ 100yds.

I have been a fan of the NBT since they came out esp in 25cal. My 257 WBY and a 115gr NBT is my go to rifle for Antelope. I have been playing with the Accubonds in 110gr and shot a whitetail using that bullet in a 257 Roberts and performance was exceptional and meat damage was minimal when compared to the NBT. I'm going to try them in the 25/06 and the 257 WBY. 140 rgain Accubonds will be the first bullet I try in the new 275 Rigby.

todd allen
03-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Rich, I finally got around to measuring the spin rate, and it looks like a 1 - 10". I hope this is sufficient to stabilize the bigger bullets. Since I am new to this caliber, I sure do appreciate your input.

Rich Anderson
03-13-2016, 06:43 PM
That should be fine. Try the Nosler Accubond.