PDA

View Full Version : Constriction or choke

calvin humburg
12-19-2015, 06:40 AM
My first parker was a lifter 12 with every issue you don't want. Bought it because I wanted a gun to shoot black in. New nothing ended up here Thanks for help over the years. So my little boy wants to go goose hunting so I decide to shoot the lifter twist barells. I loaded 81 grains of 2f swiss and 1 1/8 oz of BB nice shot it has .051 constriction do you think a couple of boxes of shells will do any damage? To much to little black? O and a shout out to Craig Smith if you need wads for loading. best ch

Mark Ouellette
12-19-2015, 06:52 AM
Calvin,

Nice shot is pretty soft as measured on/via the Brinell scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinell_scale

This link is to an article by Randy Wakeman on this Nice Shot hardness subject:
http://www.randywakeman.com/Nice_Shot_Reloading_Pressures.htm

If you load Nice Shot in a plastic wad such as an SP-12 you should have no problems. I've shot a lot of geese with Nice Shot #2 and a dozen or so with Nice Shot size BB (when I could get it) from Damascus barreled Parker 10 gauges. I've also shot a few using LC Smith 10 gauges with constrictions of .050" but the results were not as good as with my Parkers. I wondered what was the cause only to discover...

The .051" constriction may be too much for BB. Large shot usually doesn't require much constriction to produce dense patterns. Please let us know what size patterns or "choke" your gun produces with BB Nice Shot.

Mark

calvin humburg
12-19-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks Mark I loaded a few in brass I will dump shot and wrap shot in plastic and pattern it.

Mark Ouellette
12-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Calvin,

You are very welcome and good luck to you and your son!

I failed to mention that all of my high preforming goose slaying Parker 10 gauges have constrictions of very close to .030". A load at 1330 FPS with an ounce and three-eights of Nice Shot #2 produced either very crippled or dead geese at longer ranges.

Mark

charlie cleveland
12-19-2015, 07:05 PM
from what i ve shot and loaded with steel bbs in a load that they pattern very nicely with modified chokes....gona shoot the 10 ga at ducks if i get the chance...charlie

Paul Harm
12-20-2015, 04:10 PM
BP burns so hot, if using plastic wads it will leave a lot of plastic residue in the barrels. Might not be too bad if only a couple of shots are taken. Either way, I'd buy a Tornado Brush to remove any plastic left. I've shot a lot of BP and always use fiber wads when doing so.

calvin humburg
12-21-2015, 08:16 AM
I have two 1/4 nitro circle fly wads under my modified sp 10 wad. That should keep that from happen no?

Paul Harm
12-21-2015, 09:40 AM
It will reduce but not eliminate it. There should be a nitro load you could use. Maybe Mark will give a load with Nice Shot. I'm only familiar with lead shot. The plastic residue won't hurt anything - just APITA to clean.

John Dallas
12-21-2015, 10:18 AM
I've found that brake cleaner works wonders on plastic

Dean Romig
12-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Too bad we can't get the original type of Brake Kleen made with trichlorethane, but back in the 90's somebody or maybe a "test rat" in California thinks he might have got some kind of cancer from that stuff, so our fed'ral gummint says we're not smart enough to have it anymore..... :shock:

Kinda like in 2003 the gummint said we need to have "tire pressure monitors" on all four wheels of the new cars we buy. Seems somebody went out to their car one morning to go to work and noticed the left front tire looked like it wasn't round on the bottom anymore and said to theirselfs "Hmmm... that looks kinda funny - never seen that before... I wonder why it's not round on the bottom anymore??? Oh well, gotta get to work."

Seems like everything was working just fine to me, re: "Survival of the fittest." = (The stupid shall perish.)

Paul Harm
12-21-2015, 04:10 PM
All chokes were based with shells before plastic wads were around. Other than protecting the bores from the new hard shot your gun probably has too much choke. .051 is a bit tighter than I've ever measured. Use to be that .030 was full, now with turkey chokes and such nonsense we have 35, 40 and 45. Your 81/2F and a 1 1/8 is a standard 3 dram load, or should give 1200fps.