PDA

View Full Version : stock bending

Herb Hewlett
08-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know a gunsmith in New England [preferably Maine or New Hampshire] who could bend a repro. straight stock for cast off?

Brian Dudley
08-13-2015, 08:39 AM
My suggestion... Don't do it. A completely risky undertaking as to the results.

Robin Lewis
08-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Dave Trevallion in South Berwick, ME. (207) 704-0450

Joe Bernfeld
08-13-2015, 09:46 AM

Probably true, but I did have my SSS bent for less drop at the comb and it came out perfectly. I don't remember who did it though, as it was many years ago. Can be done.

Herb Hewlett
08-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks all,I think I will not have it done per Brian's advice. Do not want to take any unnecessary chances ,bird season is to close. Cheers,Herb

Greg Baehman
08-13-2015, 04:59 PM
I am not disagreeing with you Brian, just curious as to why you say that. Do you mean risky in the sense of maybe the bend wouldn't hold? Or are you meaning risky in the sense that the stock may break? Have you seen Herb's gun to make that determination? Would you have answered the same if it were any other gun?

TIA,

Brian Dudley
08-13-2015, 06:46 PM
All of the above.

That is my personal opinion on bending in regards to ANY stock.

Just too many chances for things to go wrong or not to at all.

Generally speaking, I believe that stocks can be bent for cast more successfully than they can be bent for drop.

Herb wants some cast. But, Herbs gun is a straight grip Repro. These guns were weak in the wrists to begin with. Why chance damaging it by trying to put a little cast in it.

Again, just my opinion.

Greg Baehman
08-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Brian, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but rather trying to further this discussion . . . you're not recommending bending for your aforementioned reasons--even though thousands have had their stocks bent successfully. So how is one to achieve proper gun fit if bending is not a good choice? Is he to learn to shoot an ill-fitting gun, have the gun re-stocked to his desired dimensions or something else?

Scot Cardillo
08-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Considering his experience and talent w/these guns I'd sure like to hear more from Brian on this subject as well...been thinking about making a fixture.

...there should be an "eagerly soaking up information like a sponge" emoticon!

Brian Dudley
08-23-2015, 04:36 PM
If I must elaborate on my feelings about bending... Like I said, it is a crap shoot as to the results as to how well the operation will go. The wood may not move as much as desired. It may work its way back over time after bending. Inletting joints may open up. The wood may break. The finish may get damaged and require attention. Or, it may go perfectly and the stock will do exactly what you want it to.

I personally know people who have had around 30% success with having multiple guns bent by the same party. Those odds are not great in his example.

I am just saying that the risk is great for something to go wrong with a gun that you just likely spent thousands of dollars on. And it may cost you more in the long run.

I really have nothing further to add to this discussion.

edgarspencer
08-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know a gunsmith in New England [preferably Maine or New Hampshire] who could bend a repro. straight stock for cast off?

Herb,Contact Walter Eiserer. He has 50 years under his belt (not counting his 8 years apprenticeship in Austria) I have had two stocks bent, including one rook rifle with the tiniest wrist. He has the skill, tea kettle, and nine miles of surgical tubing.
It is not something I'd trust to the amateur gunsmith, or newbie. I certainly would never try it, but I've bent a lot of wood in my boat building, and know wood likes to be talked to nicely, then it will go 'round the horn for you.

Chuck Heald
09-27-2015, 05:15 PM
I researched the subject quite a bit a few years back. Spoke to some that had done it. Watched my friend bend my straight grip 28g Repro. It moved about 1/4" down, but seemed to come back about 1/8" later. I Built my jig. Bent 3 stocks successfully. The first one was a early 1900s Parker that we (me and the owner of the gun) bent together. We moved that stock up 3/4" in 2 steps. The second was my 28g Repro which I bent down about 3/8" or more.

In the few that I've done, I believe it's very important to have a favorable grain alignment. After that, I think a paraphrase of Elmer Keith's saying is in order: "Use enough heat".
Forcing the wood will result in either breaking, cracking, or the stock returning to the original position. My repro bent easily by finger pressure after it was heated well and through. It was then held in place by the jig (not forced to bend by the jackscrews of the jig) and allowed to heat further to stress relieve the wood. It hasn't come back any in the years since I bent it.

I'm not an expert, but I didn't think this was rocket science. Larger pieces of wood are bent much much more in all kinds of things than the little we need our stock bent. Adequate heat is all I see is needed.

The Repro
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/DSC_4692.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/roaniecowpony/media/DSC_4692.jpg.html)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/DSC_4691.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/roaniecowpony/media/DSC_4691.jpg.html)

Scot Cardillo
09-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Have seen your posts about this adventure in the past Chuck - nice work & I agree to use finger pressure instead of screw pressure..that's a good dose of common sense (which is not always so common it appears)

I have been threatening to do this for quite awhile as my two favorite shotguns are stocked so differently and it takes a little "getting used to" in the field with my style of shooting; aka;point and shoot with no thought whatsoever (instinctual).

I could use a bend down on one of my Repros to gain more drop at the heel along with a slight cast for alignment..outside of the risk of snapping the stock at the wrist (grain appears suitable)..I fear a wood wrinkle on the underside of the wrist around the tang. To a lesser degree, I'm concerned about the finish..on the gun I have in mind I would much like to retain the original Repro finish for its water resistance (plus the gun is honestly worn in 'just right' and I really do not want to take away from the warmth of the gun if you know what I mean.

I am also assuming the drop @ comb would increase to a lesser degree to the butt, this also raises the concern about a change in pitch..

I have to say that Brians thoughts on the subject have sure made me take pause..

..I have bent my share of wood in the past for arched mouldings etc.

Your experience? Thoughts?

Chuck Heald
09-27-2015, 05:56 PM
I would think if I could successfully do this a few times right off the bat, a master wood man like David Travallion could be trusted to bend your Repro if he says he can do it.

Chuck Heald
09-27-2015, 06:00 PM
I will admit the finish could be affected. But, with the large checker pattern on the grip, there really isn't much finished area anyway. I don't think the little we bend stocks could result in any deformity such as you mentioned. As I said, I've only bent a few. So, my experience is limited.

Scot Cardillo
09-27-2015, 06:20 PM
1/4-3/8" increased drop & cast off about 1/8" at most - this is an off the cuff estimate w/no pattern board verification..yet.

Also haven't trigged out the effect on pitch using those #'s either, wouldn't be much..

Thanks for your thoughts & for sharing your experience

Chuck Heald
09-28-2015, 02:17 AM
The effect on pitch is small, IMO. I bent my gun about 7/16" down.

Jim McKee
03-08-2016, 09:32 PM
I have had several stocks bent and have been happy with the results.
Jim

allen newell
03-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Dan Cullity in West Barnstable, Mass can do it also.