PDA

View Full Version : Briley Thin Wall Chokes in Repro Barrels

Tom Jay
07-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Has anyone added Briley Thin Wall Chokes to their Parker Reproduction? Looking to be more versatile in how I use my Repro and am considering the addition of these interchangeable chokes. Can anyone tell me of their experience in dealing with Briley and their experience in shooting with these chokes?

John Dallas
07-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Briley has installed thin wall chokes in my M31 Remington pump. The special steel shot tube is just right for the mallards who come in to check out my hand- carved blocks.
I also have Brileys in a Remmie 3200.
Couldn't be happier

Pat Dugan
07-29-2015, 11:41 PM
If yours is a 28 gauge,,you probably are wasting your time, several others have sent their guns only to find out they can't do it
because barells too thin,,there might be a way to measure first, I ended up just getting my mod and full changed to skeet and ic, while they had it...if no work is done you still owe them 95 dollars and shipping cost

Gary Laudermilch
07-30-2015, 10:32 AM
I have a 20 ga. 28" repro with thin walls installed. They were already in the gun when I bought it. I've shot it quite a bit and have no issues with them at all. However, I have to admit that I have not done much patterning with it. I shoot the skeet(.005) and lgt. mod.(.012) tubes most of the time for clays and they seem to work well. No issues at all.

Brian Dudley
07-30-2015, 01:25 PM
sevond that on the 28g Repros being too thin. Every gun is different. But it is best to measure bore and also OD and give them the info and let them advise.

Ross Johnson
07-31-2015, 11:41 AM
I had Briley install the thin wall chokes in my Parker Repro 20 gauge this past April. I received great customer service start to finish. Call and ask for the thin wall choke installer. He will tell you to send your barrels in to have them measured. Be sure to follow the suggested shipping instructions. I sent mine UPS insured ground on the way down from Wisconsin. They got delayed/lost in Ft. Worth for a week. On the return trip I had them UPS second day and that is what I would recommend.

You receive 5 chokes of your choice. I went with lead only for the 5 and later ordered two more for steel (all shot). I pattern all my loads/chokes at 25 yards. I just hunt Grouse/Woodcock and preserve pheasants these days. So, 25 yards over my dogs works out just right most of the time. I can say all the lead chokes were right on, but the steel ones were perfect. I plan to pass on my Parker to my son someday, he is 40 now. That is why I ordered the additional steel chokes in cylinder and improved cylinder. He hunts ducks and may someday face using steel for everything.

Good luck.

Ross

Greg Baehman
07-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Ross, what are the constrictions of the Briley's you have in when hunting grouse and woodcock?

Ross Johnson
08-01-2015, 03:14 PM
I hunt on County Forest land with a close- hunting Springer Spaniel.

During the early season in late September and early October the trees are still leafed out and the shots are close and quick. I use #8 shot in my Parker Repro 20 gauge. The right barrel is choked cylinder and the left improved cylinder.

Once the leaves are down, I use #8 shot with a skeet choke in the right barrel and #71/2 shot with a light modified in the left.

Ross

Ross Johnson
08-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Sorry, Wild Skies I forgot about the Woodcock.

If I am hunting Woodcock, I use cylinder and improved cylinder cokes. The right barrel gets #9 shot and the left #8. I have started using the RST lighter loads and like them a lot.

Ross

Steve Kleist
08-03-2015, 05:26 PM
I also have Briley thin walled chokes in my 12 ga Repro magnum. They were installed before I bought the gun used. THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the previous owner.
My choices are LtMOD/MOD for waterfowl, CYL/CYL for grouse, woodcock, skeet and some close range sporting clays.
One gun can do it all.
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Tony Guccioni
08-05-2015, 04:30 AM
I asked Briley to install some variable chokes into my Repro 12 ga.

They couldn't do it, due to 'thin barrel walls'.

As a default position, I had the factory Mod and Full reamed to I/M and Mod.