PDA

View Full Version : 28 Gauge Repro

Rudolf Blumentritt
07-04-2015, 04:44 PM
I really want a 28 gauge repro. My only hesitation is I am not really sure how practical it is. I have never owned or shot a 28 gauge. I would like to hear about real world use of the 28. Why game do you use it on. What loads. What fixed chokes work best. What is the practical range. How does it compare to a 20 gauge? I don't see much 28 ammo on the shelf and I know it's expensive. Not as much worried about cost as about availability. Thanks!

Kevin McCormack
07-04-2015, 05:35 PM
The problem I found with the Repro 28s were 1) almost everyone I saw was a 26" gun with pistol grip and single trigger, and 2) they were invariably stocked WAY too high for me. Like most people after a Repro 28, I wanted a straight grip, double triggers, with 28" barrels NOT bored MOD and FULL, with approximate stock dimensions of 1 1/2" DAC, 2 1/4-1/2" DAH, around 14 1/2 LOP.

When a very nice Repro 28 came up with the usual combinations (single trigger, 26" barrel, 14 5/8 LOP, and Q1 & Q2 chokes (Q=quail), I jumped on it, figuring it would be my 'starter' Repro 28. I shoot a lot and especially a lot of 28 ga. for both clays and hunting (I had 2 other 28s when I bought the Repro.

My experiences with the gun were very enlightening. If I had to make a list of unpleasant surprises, they would be as follows: First and foremost, the gun in that configuration is WAY too light! It was nice to carry in the woods, but on clays and a few times on fast-flushing woodcock, it nearly flew out of my hands; Secondly, the very high (for me) stock dimensions had me shooting over nearly everything I shot at, much to my disgust. Lastly, the picturesque and dainty skeleton buttplate beat the living hell out of my shoulder during a round of 50 clays - its too narrow and not deep enough from toe to heel to distribute the recoil evenly across the pocket of muscle your shoulder makes when you mount the gun. And of course if you put a slip-on Galco-type pad to ease the pain, you increase the LOP and by definition the DAH, which plays hob with your shooting.

As the saying goes, "Reality Bites" - after trying to fit myself to the gun, I came to my senses and traded it away for a really nice CE Fox 12 ga. which fits me like a glove. If I ever do it again, I'm going to find a straight grip, DT, 28" bbl. Repro that has the weight and feel of their 20 ga. in that configuration with IC and MOD chokes. I've shot a few of those and the heavier ones have just about ideal handling qualities, especially for dove, pigeon, and longer shots at wild quail.

Ammo selection for the 28 is pretty much confined to 7 1/2, 8s, and 9s so far as practicality goes. For sporting clays I always shoot 7 1/2s and 8s which suit me fine. For railbird and woodcock, I go to RST's #10 spreader loads and wide open chokes, which is about like shooting sugar. At anything over 35 yards, the little guns like more choke than usual and will really surprise you in the performance category with good quality ammo.

I hope this helps - good luck and I hope you get a nice 28 Repro, but by all means if at all possible SHOOT ONE FIRST! They are out there!

Bill Murphy
07-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I could use my 28 Repro for anything I cared to shoot. I wouldn't opt for the Q-1 Q-2 chokes or the modified and full for most game, but the improved cylinder and modified should be a good compromise for all purpose use. Normally, this combination is only available in 26". We don't normally look for ammo "on the shelf", but prepare for the future with a stash. Most of us who use the 28 on a regular basis load our own. 28s are ten bucks a box and more and a reloaded box of 28s usually sets us back about three dollars or a bit more.

Joe Bernfeld
07-04-2015, 06:21 PM
I love 28 ga. guns! I have 4: a Beretta 687 EELL, a Garbi 101 with 2 sets of barrels, an Ithaca Classic Double, and of course a Parker Reproduction. Technically the Parker Repro. is no longer mine since my wife loved it so much, she appropriated it for herself.

28 ga guns work best at closer ranges (30-35 yards or less) and for smaller birds (quail, doves, Ruffed Grouse). For those reasons they don't need tight chokes. Mine range from Cyl/IC, to Mod/IM on the 30" Garbi barrels (great for longer shots at doves). The Parker Repro. my wife uses is Q1/Q2, which is a fine combination. They pattern great with 3/4 oz. of shot. If you want to use more shot, the proper gauge would be a 20.

28 ga ammo is not that hard to find, and you can order it by the case so you don't have to worry about not finding it. I use only # 7 1/2 or 8 shot. I prefer to reload since I can make high quality, low recoil loads that pattern very well, and save some money to boot. Also I always know I will have ammo available. My wife and I often shoot doves with 5/8 oz. reloads that have very little recoil and work fine if you don't try excessively long shots.

Depending on your size, the Parker Repro. might fit quite well. I find the comb to be the perfect height, but most of them were made with 14 1/4"-14 3/8" LOP; quite short by today's standards. There are Repros. out there with 14 3/4" LOP (I have a 12 ga. with that length). In fact I've seen more than 1 28 ga. with 14 3/4" LOP on Guns International. As for the weight, mine has a pistol grip and beavertail, which makes it weigh around 5 3/4 lbs. They are too light to comfortably shoot lots of clay pigeons with, but that's not why I shoot 28 ga. guns :rolleyes:!

Dean Romig
07-04-2015, 11:48 PM
I love both of my 28 gauge Repros and haven't experienced any of the problems the other gents have defined. I'm 210 lbs., 5' 10" and I personally don't consider them too light or whippy. The straight grip with double triggers is my favorite but is stocked quite high. A slip-on Galco pad lengthens the LOP and increases the DAH just about enough to satisfy me. These Repros on 28 gauge are awesome little guns and might take some getting used to for some guys but me and mine have crushed a lot of clays and killed a lot of grouse and woodcock right from the start.

Andy Humphriss
07-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I have 6 28 gauge guns 1) browning lighting citori, 2) beretta 686' 3) browning bps 4) BSA classic s x s , 5) kreighoff k-20 and my latest Parker repro 2 barrel set 26" q1 and q2 28" ic and mod straight grip 2 triggers splinter forfend. The 28 just seams to perform above her head. I have shot chucker, ( wild ) pheasants ,quail and many clays I found it took a little time to get used to my little Parker at 5 lbs 8 oz but after a couple hundred targets it's fast becoming one of my favorites. I reload most all of my 28 gauge ammo and have found 13 gr of international with aa hs wads and aa hulls 71/2 or 8 shot will handle just about all my feather or clay targets out to about 40 yards provided I use quality high antimony shot. IMHO 28 gauge guns are sweet, sexy and easy to shoot.

Michael Murphy
07-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I have several 28ga. shotguns. I've used them on Quail, Woodcock, Dove, Ruffed Grouse and pointed Pheasant. As mentioned above, 30-35 yards is the best effective range for that gauge. However, Dove and Grouse have been taken at longer ranges and it generally doesn't take many pellets to bring them down. For Pheasants, I use #6 shot and modified and improved modified chokes. My Repro's have somehow all fit me well, but then again I shot Skeet for years with a Monte Carlo stock so maybe I'm just used to the higher stock dimensions mentioned above.

Gerry Addison
07-06-2015, 08:40 AM
I have all gauges of the Repros and the 28 is far and away my favorite for upland birds (Grouse& Woodcock for me). They are not skeet guns but I have shot a few rounds with mine. The Q1 & Q 2 chokes are my favorites. Use it for what it was intended and you will be happy

Sam Ogle
07-06-2015, 10:29 AM
I have a 28 Ga. Parker repro: They are an amazing little thing. For some reason, 28 gauge guns just shoot better than they should. It would be nice if you could find a 28 inch barrel gun, but if you do, it will be choked too tight (mine was 40 thousandths in the left barrel, which IMO is "silly tight.")
Yes, to some guys they are too light and "whippy," but that's the idea of a 28. If I want an almost 8 pound target gun, then I'd get a 12 Ga. Almost all the responders said they reload. That is the way to go, unless you have funds to burn. Owning a Parker in a 28 Gauge will almost assure that you will buy a Repro, as the originals are too dang expensive.
Go ahead and buy one, and be prepared for those "Well, I'll be damned" moments when the little gun does stuff you didn't think it could do.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Jeff O'Neill
07-06-2015, 01:49 PM
I was fortunate to acquire a 28 bare two barrel set through Jack and Tom Skeuse several years ago. The 26" barrels are choked IC/M, and the 28" are M/F. My primary use is quail. I've found that the longer barrels balance and swing much better for me, so I use PolyWad spreader shells when hunting and am very pleased with the results.

As mentioned above, I also use a strap-on leather pad to get the LOP out to my need, with two layers of carpet backing added inside the pad. Works very well. The weight and length added by the pad may be why the long barrels feel so much better to me.

Sam Ogle
07-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Jeff; that is smart, using the spreader wads on the 28" barrels. That way, you don't have to "mess" with the chokes. I am not that smart, & opened mine up. (I don't regret it, but was just too dumb to think of spreaders.) The handling, to me, with the 2" longer barrels is simply better. My gun is 28" straight stock, beavertail, double triggers.
since I shoot the bigger Parkers & doubles, the double triggers are almost second nature to me. (The other night, I shot low-gun with it, and on station #1, I just couldn't get the front trigger to shoot twice! BUT, I finally remembered and broke the target, Ha ha!)
For some reason, a longer LOP seems to be better on this gun, but don't ask me why.
Sam Ogle

Pat Dugan
07-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Beartooth makes a slip on pad that you can add length or not...it defeats
the slippery feel some complain about. ..I also had the 28 in barells
choked skeet and improved ..got a 24 the first round and in a few trips
got a straight. ...also have a set of .410 CSMC 28 in barells and they shoot well at skeet. Since I use the gun a lot shooting g skeet , I got from a friend
a beavertail wood forend and mounted it on the splinter iron and don't get
burned fingers shooting skeet. It is one of my favorite skeet guns, but it is not
a target gun for the dedicated skeet shooter, but truly a fun gun.

John Dallas
07-06-2015, 11:38 PM
I don't get it. Anyone with a .40 choke in a 28 ga. says it's too tight. Most of those folks want to shóot those guns, not put them in their 401(k). Open them up! If I was in the market, I'd pay a premium for an opened gun

Greg Baehman
07-07-2015, 11:33 AM
I don't get it. Anyone with a .40 choke in a 28 ga. says it's too tight. Most of those folks want to shóot those guns, not put them in their 401(k). Open them up! If I was in the market, I'd pay a premium for an opened gun
I'm sure you meant .040 and not 40/100ths.

IMHO, it's this sort of phylosophy that has made 100% original Parker Bros. guns so cherished and desirable and as a result so valuable. The same will happen with Parker Repros--mark my words! Yeah, I know you say you're not going to worry about it because you'll be dead. How do you know that you stop worrying when you're dead? I happen to have it on good authority that we indeed still worry after we're gone. It will drive you nuts, you will toss and turn and pound the inside of your coffin as your transgressions of opening those luscious wonderful chokes haunt you into eternity.

:nono:

Jeff O'Neill
07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm sure you meant .040 and not 40/100ths.

IMHO, it's this sort of phylosophy that has made 100% original Parker Bros. guns so cherished and desirable and as a result so valuable. The same will happen with Parker Repros--mark my words! Yeah, I know you say you're not going to worry about it because you'll be dead. How do you know that you stop worrying when you're dead? I happen to have it on good authority that we indeed still worry after we're gone. It will drive you nuts, you will toss and turn and pound the inside of your coffin as your transgressions of opening those luscious wonderful chokes haunt you into eternity.

:nono:

Dang... I'm glad I didn't open those barrels up. I already have enough things that will spin me in my grave!

Sam: Maybe a smart idea but I can't claim it as mine; someone advised me to try the spreaders before opening the chokes. The Polywads work so well for me that I don't want to mess with choke mods. In the long run it is certainly cheaper to ream the chokes but if only used for hunting a flat of shells lasts quite a while.

John Dallas
07-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Greg - You're obviously right about those little thousands - I lost a zero somehow.
I guess I just don't have a good appreciation for history, but for the life of me, I don't understand preserving a choke boring which doesn't work. I think Repro's are nice for what they are - a Japanese copy, but I have serious reservations that they will appreciate anywhere like the real deal. As an old (and I mean Old) car product planner, I have an appreciation for Japanese stuff - after all, they have taken a huge share of our domestic market, but it's hard to name a Jap car which has reached the icon class like Camaros or Mustangs. I put Repro's in the same category

Bobby Cash
07-09-2015, 10:58 AM
I have it on good authority that the Pope shoots a Parker Repro.
He's struggled with the same dilemma that many of you do, wishing that the chokes on his 28 were more open.
The Pope was however vehement that the chokes were somehow sacred and should not be touched by the hand of Man.

He pondered, prayed, and in general asked "The Big Guy" if he would not intervene and guide him through this conundrum.
His Holiness awoke one morning and indeed found that the chokes on his 28 were more open than when he had shot his gun the last time.

Ask anyone in the Vatican, whenever one speaks of the Pope and his favorite
Parker Repro, they talk of the Parker with the "Immaculate Constriction".:rotf:

Steve Kleist
07-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Rudolf,
Take everything these folks have said to the bank. We are all on the same page (with the exception of not opening chokes).
It might be wise to know what stock dimensions fit you best. Buy that damned 28 and don't forget to thank each of us. You will not be disappointed.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Chuck Heald
09-29-2015, 08:03 AM
I was reading Kevin's post and had a good chuckle. It reflected some my experiences. I found my 28 ga, 28", straight grip, SST, 1 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 14 1/4", 5lb 10oz, splinter forend gun at Jaqua's. It shot too high, has the too tight M/F chokes, swings like a broomstick, and kicks like a pissed off girlfriend with spiked high heels.

I bent the stock down to get it where I could hit reliably with it. I did hunt the 28ga on pen raised pheasant and chukar as well as some wild birds. I used #6 on chukar and #5 on wild pheasant. It'll swat a rooster hard at longer distances than most care to shoot. It's lighter at the muzzle than is ideal for me, but it will do its job if I do mine.

I bought the gun solely for the purpose of putting Galazan 410 barrels on it. I did get the barrels and had them fitted. It made a nice handling 410, that's a pleasure to shoot.

Billy Gross
09-29-2015, 11:35 AM
My first comment is that I love my 28 Ga Parker Repro - it shoots great and feels great. My second comment is that you have to get the configuration that works for you. My first endeavor with a 28 Ga SxS was an AYA#2 with a straight stock and double triggers. As a mostly O/U skeet and trap shooter, I couldn't get used to the stock and triggers. So, I sold that and bought a 28 Ga Parker Repro with 28" barrels, single trigger, pistol grip, and BTFE. I also picked up an extra set of 28" barrels and had both of them opened up to .003. Now that is my gun and I don't ever intend to part with it. My first round of low gun skeet was a 24, and I missed low 7 because I wasn't paying attention. My final comment is that the combination of the BTFE and 28" barrels eliminates the "whippyness". Billy

Kenny Graft
09-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Thank the good Lord for Tom Skeuse....or there would be no affordable Parker 28gauge guns! I have a few of them now and have traded several. I like the combo sets with double triggers and beavertail for-ends. The guns can be whippy when changing from a heavy shotgun to a light one, but you take your time and the gun has the correct pull length it all comes together and works fine. RST loads are easy on the shoulder if you do not reload. Barrel length in not a big deal for me 26" or 28" but would prefer 28" most of the time for hunting. That said I did open one set of 28" barrels up to: .004/.013 I use it and it works! The factory 26" barrels choked Q1/Q2 are probably the best factory choke to have for rabbits, small birds and stocked roosters. The Parker repro at the 30 year mark has stood the test of time!, have a good resale track record and are still affordable in todays market...(-: SXS ohio

Rich Anderson
09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
I have owned several Repo's in 28ga in varying configurations, straight grip (my favorite), PG and a two barrel set. All were fine guns for me and served their purpose well and the ONLY reason I don't have them any more is that I'm fortunate enough to have two Parker Bros 28's, a VHE straight grip 28 inch skeet and an upgraded AAHE with two sets of barrels.

IMHO a reproduction Parker 28 is one of the best buys in a 28ga shotgun in todays market.

Richard Skeuse
10-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Fellows. I have a friend that lost a 28 Ga forend in the north woods somwhere. Does anyone have an extra that we can purchase? He is a very good friend and I told him I would ask. Call me at 908-284-2800 Thank You all

Pat Dugan
10-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Maybe someday CSMC will sell some of their
28 gauge Parker parts at some price