PDA

View Full Version : Q1 and Q2 Chokes for Waterfowl

Rudolf Blumentritt
06-18-2015, 10:39 AM
I am considering using a 12 gauge Parker Repro with Q1 and Q2 chokes for waterfowl, particularly decoying ducks. Anyone have experience with a gun choked like this using steel shot? I guess I would think with steel it might pattern more like IC/MOD, but not sure. I know the best way to find out is to pattern it, but wondering if anyone has any real world experience with a similar configuration and what results they have had. Thanks!

Dean Romig
06-18-2015, 12:20 PM
I knew a fellow in Maine who used a Ruger Red Label O/U 12 with skeet chokes for ducks over decoys for many years and he was quite successful with it.

Joe Bernfeld
06-19-2015, 09:12 AM
As you say, patterning is the true proof, but I'd say that Q1/Q2 would be about perfect for ducks over decoys with steel shot. Maybe it would be best to limit shots to 30-35 yards, but that's plenty over decoys. And I wouldn't bother with 3" magnums either. 2 3/4" #2s work great for me, although I now use hand loads of Nice Shot non-toxic shot so that I can use it in any of my shotguns.

Kevin McCormack
07-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Years ago when non-tox substitutes came on the market and the "duck intelligentsia" stepped up their campaigns to trash the performance of steel shot on waterfowl, I started to buy up all the steel shot I could find at gun shows. Rarely did I pay over $10 per box of 25 regardless of brand, since everyone was trying to dump it in favor of the uber-hyped (and even more expensive) non-tox stuff.

Over time I built up a nice hoard (60-75 boxes of 25 rnds. ea.) of steel shot in both 2 3/4 and 3" loads which I intended for use as an alternate shot when I either wouldn't pay for other type non-tox or didn't want to take my primo SxSs and O/Us out for "hazardous duty" (treacherous weather conditions, salt water, etc.).

For situations like this I bought both a Browning CItori 3" Mag O/U and a Browning Japan 3" Magnum A-5 autoloader, both of which had Invector system screw chokes, and both of which I figured I could replace if they went overboard, unlike my other primo doubles.

The more I used these two dedicated steel shot guns, the more I liked them and the more I learned about using steel. I had already taken one of Tom Roster's steel shot shooting clinics sponsored by the MD DNR in the 1980s, so I knew the stuff would work. For all my Canada goose shooting either from field pits or water blinds I used #BB steel; for all duck shooting I used #1 for pass shooting BIG ducks (Blacks, Cans, late-season Mallards), otherwise #2 for decoying or close pass shooting, and occasionally #3 when I could pick and choose my shots in good cover.

By far the greatest eye-opener was the degree of choke best for a given range - anything over decoys, skeet (Yes, SKEET!!) to IMP CYL; close pass shooting IMP CYL to MOD; 40+ yards MOD to IMP MOD. I don't think I ever put a FULL steel shot tube in either gun.

I love to shoot my classic Belgian Browning O/Us and my Parker and Fox "heavies" on waterfowl and will pay whatever the freight is quoted for non-tox for them (my personal favorite has always been Kent Tungsten Matrix - patterns like a house afire and my vintage guns LOVE it!). But when the situation or conditions demand it, there's nothing wrong with a good steel load.

Mills Morrison
07-07-2015, 03:29 PM
An old friend of ours in Savannah who was one of the best shots of his generation around here, shot skeet/skeet on everything, including ducks. I have a GH with very little choke in each barrel and have shot ducks successfully with Nice Shot no. 2's.