PDA

View Full Version : JIM KELLY FEATURED IN COVEY RISE

George Lander
05-31-2015, 12:45 AM
My friend, Jim Kelly, of Darlington Gun Works is featured in this month's issue of "COVEY RISE" In an article entitled "BECOME A COLLECTOR" by Greggory Elliott the author tells about the importance of having a new SxS acquisition inspected by a competent gunsmith, his choice being Jim Kelly. He mentions the fact that it was Jim who identified and did work on "BO WHOOP" of Fox fame. He correctly entitles Jim as a "Master Gunsmith"

Kenny Graft
05-31-2015, 07:17 AM
Good read!.....I received a subscription for Christmas. This is a really nice sportsman publication but is geared for the well healed for sure. Most activities are above my pay scale...)-: Still nice to know how some of us live. I hope to do a plantation quail hunt some day at one of the big loges and enjoy all the amenities....SXS ohio

Bob Jurewicz
05-31-2015, 08:11 AM
Kenny,
For the Quail Hunt your invited to in Texas we have to cook, clean and do dishes.
Bob Jurewicz

Kenny Graft
05-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi Robert,,,,I will look forward to wild Texas quail and do-in dishes...(-: Me and Matt have everything in order for our camping stay at the Northest SXS shoot at Hausmanns, we should arrive noon or so on Thursday, I will look you up. I took the Fox DE-28 sporting clays shooting yesterday...man that's a nice gun! Its light at 5lbs-2oz but I shoot it well. I like shooting the RST lites or Fiocchi 3/4 oz target loads. I look forward to seeing all the CSMC Fox guns that will be there. Lou at CSMC sent me pictures of the full feathercrotch American walnut blank he hand picked for my XE-16....I am HAPPY, its a very nice blank....(-: The blank has been sent to the stocker, everything is on schedule. I like my guns to shoot high like the Parker repro's so the dimensions will be: 1 1/4 X 2 1/8 -- 14 1/4 over the skeleton plate. I made a high quality stock comb rizer for the DE-28 as it shot low for me. I will post pictures of it, look under other fine doubles........ SXS ohio

Rick Losey
05-31-2015, 10:24 AM
My friend, Jim Kelly, of Darlington Gun Works is featured in this month's issue of "COVEY RISE" In an article entitled "BECOME A COLLECTOR" by Greggory Elliott t

good article but its in the previous issue -- Volume 3 issue 3

current issue is #4

just in case anyone heads to the newstand to get a copy

BTW- in the new issue - there is a test drive (to a driven pheasant shoot in upstate NY) of the new Ferrari FF- four seat/four wheel drive- nice shooting brake if you have the winning lottery ticket

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Charles Matthews
05-31-2015, 04:54 PM
George,
Re: Jim Kelly and the Covey Rise article on collecting versus accumulating. I though the author, Greggory Elliott did an excellent job on the subject matter. It was an honor being contacted by the magazine to write the "sidebar" regarding Jim Kelly. You are correct, Jim is indeed a master gunsmith.

Charles Matthews

Mills Morrison
05-31-2015, 07:24 PM
It was a good article and responsible for me subscribing to that magazine

George Lander
06-02-2015, 11:28 PM
George,
Re: Jim Kelly and the Covey Rise article on collecting versus accumulating. I though the author, Greggory Elliott did an excellent job on the subject matter. It was an honor being contacted by the magazine to write the "sidebar" regarding Jim Kelly. You are correct, Jim is indeed a master gunsmith.

Charles Matthews

Charles: In this day and time it is extremely difficult to find a "true Master" at anything especially in the Sporting World. Jim has been working on making a hammer for a Purdey of mine for over two years and had all but given up because of his eyesight and other health issues. He told me this week that it is almost ready and will be a perfect match (of which I have no doubt).

Best Regards, George

Bill Holcombe
06-03-2015, 03:31 PM
It was a fine article. I posted about it in the parker papers section. I don't typically get into Covey rise as most of the articles are about new guns or expensive hunts I could never afford anyway, but this was a truly enjoyable article.

I believe that issue also had a nice step by step writeup on how a Purdey is made.