PDA

View Full Version : 16 ga Repro

Scot Cardillo
03-06-2015, 08:20 PM
I have a thread in the wtb section but figured any discussion/q's should be here in the Reproduction section.

I recently treated myself to "The Parker Story" and read that the 20/16 was offered a bit late in the game..I also read that for those that already owned a 20ga that a 16ga set of barrels could be added to it.

My question is this - if adding a set of bbls to an existing 20ga..did the factory (not offshore but here in the states) offer fitting to the frame and to the forearm? Also, were the new bbls serialized to the gun it was added to?

~Scot

Bob Jurewicz
03-07-2015, 06:17 AM
It is my understanding that Krieghoff here in the States did the fitting and numbering to gun. I have seen unfitted-unnumbered barrels that never were matted to a gun.
Bob Jurewicz

Rich Anderson
03-07-2015, 08:06 AM
I am not aware of any factory two barrel two gauge sets other than the Reproduction 20/16 and as mentioned those barrels were from Kreighoff. The National Sporting Fraternity offered a limited number (1000) of these two barrel sets and the serial numbers matched.

Bob Jurewicz
03-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Information is that a total of 500 16 GA Krieghoff barrels were obtained. Not all were fitted to create 20/16 sets. Some found their way to the aftermarket. Some may even have been destroyed.
Bob Jurewicz

Rich Anderson
03-07-2015, 08:29 AM
I know for a fact that the NSFL commissioned 1000 16/20 sets for their members. Limited edition guns , books ect was one of the benefits of being a member. They might not have produced all of them but I bet they did. I remember when they came out I wanted one bad but just couldn't afford it.

Scot Cardillo
03-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the additional info gentlemen

Are the Krieghoff barrels marked, "Winchester Parker Reproduction"..if not, what is a sure fire way to discern original bbls from CSMC supplied bbls?

Have I read somewhere that the rib matting/engraving stops short of the dolls head on the CSMC bbls unlike the originals which are engraved typical of all Repros?

Bob Jurewicz
03-07-2015, 01:23 PM
They are marked in script on the left side of the barrel "Parker Reproduction" and stamped "Krieghoff Ulm" on the left barrel flat.
Bob Jurewicz

Russ Jackson
03-08-2015, 09:42 AM
I had recently seen a 20/16 set for sale and the 16's were marked on the Barrels , Made in Germany ,would these be correct ? I wasn't interested in the gun just wondered when I seen it if it was correct !

Scot Cardillo
07-28-2015, 10:10 AM
For those that were paying attention at the time - When did Galazan offer the 16ga bbls which were designed for the 20ga guns?

Early/mid 2000's or am I a decade off?

Dean Romig
07-28-2015, 01:31 PM
It was mid-late 2000's. I bought a set and the rib matting did not cover the doll's head but as I recall, the doll's head was cross-hatched engraved and the matting went as far as Remington rib matting went.

Scot Cardillo
07-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Thank you Dean..I thought it was in there somewhere (2K's)

I had tried to get this info from CSMC and the young lady I spoke with explained that she did not have that info..I did not pursue it beyond that.

What was most interesting - she explained that they still offer them. It was my understanding that this project had come and gone so I was surprised.

Obvious next question to her - how much and how long?

$4995.00..didn't get a lead time.

Who makes them? - Remington

I am not convinced I was receiving accurate info. but who knows..

Dean Romig
07-28-2015, 06:40 PM
No - you were not given accurate information. It is very frustrating to have to deal with untrained service personnel.

Rich Anderson
07-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Where does Galazan get the barrels from? Do they make them there selves? I know when the 16/20 sets were originally offered the 16ga barrels came from Kreighoff in Germany.

Scot Cardillo
07-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Where does Galazan get the barrels from? Do they make them there selves? I know when the 16/20 sets were originally offered the 16ga barrels came from Kreighoff in Germany.

I'm convinced it was misinformation that I recently received which is why I didn't pursue the issue any further. It just took me by surprise b/c she offered that up without my even asking.

PLEASE NOTE*

So I am not responsible for spreading mis-information..I DO NOT believe I was given accurate or reliable information and I DO NOT believe that barrels are again available.

Greg Baehman
07-28-2015, 07:51 PM
I've saved most of the Galazan catalogs. In the three most recent catalogs that I've received from Galazan, catalogs #16, 17 & 18 Parker shotgun barrels are listed as being available. There's no mention of who makes them or where they come from. Here is a pic of the most recent listing taken from Catalog #18 on page 107.

Scot Cardillo
07-28-2015, 07:56 PM
...perhaps I should have been more responsive to her and not been so quick to dismiss.

I stand corrected & if that is true I see a set of .410 bbls in my future.

Thank you Greg

Rich Anderson
07-28-2015, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for a set of 410 barrels.

Dean Romig
07-28-2015, 10:08 PM
I see they got wise and say that they "offer NO fitting service." I had them fit mine and had problems from the get-go with the BTFE falling off with about every third shot. I never sent the gun back to correct the problem as I lost faith after their first try. I eventually sold the 16 ga. barrels to a friend here.

Scot Cardillo
07-29-2015, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for a set of 410 barrels.

Yeah..I've done some reading through past threads on the subject related to Galazan..ambitious endeavors but sometimes short on follow through is what I gather.

..that's a lot of dough for a set of bbls but still pretty cool that they are available..or so it appears..

Dean Romig
07-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Their 16 ga. barrels were something like $1,800 as I remember.

Kenny Graft
07-29-2015, 07:01 PM
CSMC had Merkel make up a batch of 16ga. 28" barrels...I bought one new set and had them fitted to my repro. The rib matting is not like the repro or the originals but is nice. Dolls head does not fit its cut in the receiver perfect but is O.K. The bores are perfect! The gun realy patterns well...I can kill wild pheasants clean at 50 yards with Fiocchi HV 5# and have done it several times with witnesses! I love them barrels! I also own all three of the original PR Kreghoff sets choked Q1/Q2, IC/Mod, Mod/Full The PR full is only .026 and the Mrekel set the full is .031 or X-full (-: thanks all SXS ohio

Scot Cardillo
07-30-2015, 09:55 AM
CSMC had Merkel make up a batch of 16ga. 28" barrels...I bought one new set and had them fitted to my repro. The rib matting is not like the repro or the originals but is nice. Dolls head does not fit its cut in the receiver perfect but is O.K. The bores are perfect! The gun realy patterns well...I can kill wild pheasants clean at 50 yards with Fiocchi HV 5# and have done it several times with witnesses! I love them barrels! I also own all three of the original PR Kreghoff sets choked Q1/Q2, IC/Mod, Mod/Full The PR full is only .026 and the Mrekel set the full is .031 or X-full (-: thanks all SXS ohio

You are fortunate to have all of those bbls - by your posts it appears you have a very very nice collection.

I can attest to the fact that Merkel bbls are beutifully made & the 16 hits hard.

That has been my go to Pheasant gun when I'm fortunate enough to hunt them (Merkel 16 - choked IC/Mod)

A marriage between Merkel & these Parker Repro's seems to be a pretty nice matchup but of the few I've seen w/the after market bbls, the dolls head is a poor fit with gaps toward the muzzle. (I know metal 'could' be welded in and refit etc)

That just bugs me to no end.

I guess that would keep the cost of fitting down eliminating some handwork but still..why go that far (making the bbls) and not go all the way? That matters to this market & by all accounts the Repros were built to pretty tight tolerances & rather good repeatability.

..sign of the times I suppose

David C Porter
09-23-2022, 02:38 PM
How well does the rib matting on the Krieghoff barrels match the Parker barrel rib matting?

Greg Baehman
09-23-2022, 09:22 PM
The Krieghoff rib matting is not the same as the Parker Reproduction rib matting. Most owners of these bi-gauge sets have reported that they find the 16-ga. Krieghoff ribs attractive and not objectionable. IMO, it would be preferable if they were an exact match, but they are what they are.

Zoom in on the attached pic and decide for yourself.

David C Porter
09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info & picture

Scot Cardillo
09-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Picture 1 shows a typical PR rib pattern.

Picture 2 shows the rib pattern on factory PR 16ga barrels made by Krieghoff.

The rib matting on both barrels is aesthetically pleasing, functional, and well executed.

Scot Cardillo
09-24-2022, 11:04 AM
Picture 1 shows a typical PR rollmark

Picture 2 shows a legitimate 16ga PR rollmark

Scot Cardillo
09-24-2022, 11:24 AM
Picture 1 shows legitimate Parker Reproduction 16ga barrel flats

Picture 2 shows the PR 16ga barrels origin roll mark

Phil Cloninger
09-24-2022, 07:16 PM
They are marked in script on the left side of the barrel "Parker Reproduction" and stamped "Krieghoff Ulm" on the left barrel flat.
Bob Jurewicz
I have had a couple 20/16 sets over the years, with the Krieghoff barrels, fitted by Reagent, and numbered to the gun. They were marked just as Bob had mentioned earlier in the thread, with the Made in Germany on the right barrel. The ribs on the 16 ga. barrels were wider than the original 20 ga. barrels. The matting was a bit more course on the 16 set. The difference didn't bother me at all, and to be honest, I hadn't even noticed it until I read this thread...