PDA

View Full Version : Parker 1874 12 ga double barrel damascus value

CarlaLiVecchi
01-03-2015, 02:47 PM
I have a Parker 12 ga double barrel shotgun with damascus barrels.
It has a serial #3603
It has a mark on it that looks like PatNoV13 and underneath that it is marked 1866.
It has double hammers and 30" barrels
It has a mark on the bottom of the tang that looks like T.B.
In the receiver, it looks like it says F94 above the serial number of 3603
All parts have matching serial numbers
Embedded in the stock behind the hammers is what appears to be a shield.
We are trying to get a value on this gun and need some help? Pictures are attached.

Rick Losey
01-03-2015, 08:49 PM
very nice looking gun- matches the book's description as a 12 gauge with 30 inch damascus barrels

what are the bores like- pits?

Brian Dudley
01-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Your gun would be an early equivelant to a grade 2 gun.
It is well worn in the cosmetic condition department, but it looks to be solid and to have been taken good care of over its long life.

Dean Romig
01-04-2015, 08:19 PM
A PGCA Research Letter is really the only way to determine the Dollar Grade of the gun, and even that is often confusing because of Parker Bros practice of discounting the retail price of many guns.

It has been my experience (and was taught to me by Austin Hogan) that the early lifter dollar grade guns that are most likely to be predecessors of the Grade 2 guns had forend checkering in this style and the checkering on the forend of the subject is more likely to be the next grade lower.

Brian Dudley
01-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I was basing my statement of it being a possible grade 2 equivalent on the barrels being Damascus mostly. As typically grade 0 and 1 were fitted with twist. However, I know there are exceptions.

Dean Romig
01-04-2015, 10:28 PM
In that era the grade 0 was often fitted with Twist (but some 0 grade equivalent guns have been observed with Damascus barrels) but a fair number of grade 0 guns and most grade 1 guns had Damascus barrels. Later the Grade 2 guns were the lowest grade to use Damascus barrels and it remained so for the duration of production until Parker Special Steel barrels came on to the scene.
I have a number of four digit grade 1 guns, or dollar grade equivalent to grade 1 guns, with Damascus barrels in my safe right now.

David Dwyer
01-05-2015, 09:25 AM
To your original question:I recently purchased an equivalent gun ,but in significantly better condition, for $750.
David

CarlaLiVecchi
01-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Thank you everyone for your input, is anyone willing to hazard a guess on value range for this gun? A customer may be willing to sell it, but not sure of dollar value on the gun.

George M. Purtill
01-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Thank you everyone for your input, is anyone willing to hazard a guess on value range for this gun? A customer may be willing to sell it, but not sure of dollar value on the gun.

I'm a little confused- a condition that my friends in PGCA will attest to- but you say when you start this thread that "I have this gun........". Now you say that "a customer may be willing to sell it.....". So therefore the thread seems to me to be started with a not so accurate premise.

I don't like the feeling that our courtesy is being used to assist in retail/wholesale pricing for a gun shop.
But like I said I am often confused.

Mark Ouellette
01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Carla and all,

Since buying and selling via the PGCA forums is restricted to paid PGCA members, George Purtill made a good point in his above post.

It seems that this inquiry is likely from a business entity per your above post and by the photos of the Parker atop a business counter. One could deduce that the intention is to buy and resell this Parker at a profit. For that, the PGCA fourm was never intended.

This thread is closed.

Mark
Moderaor