PDA

View Full Version : Got a scratch on stock now afraid to hunt with my Repro

Jim Sappington
01-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Guys, last time out I got a small scratch in the finish of the stock on the left side next to tang. It's a small white scratch, hair less than 1/4 inch. It won't take stain brown perm marker or anything since it's not into wood but it's just deep that I don't want to buff it due to thinning the surrounding finish. I've just put on several coats of wax and that's all I can do I guess. Makes me sick because I take care of my guns and this must have happened while hunting. Now I don't want to use it. I'm afraid something else will happen to it. It's perfect except for that. Have any advice? Chalk it up as if you use them, things will happen? Should I try and fix it? Or just use and enjoy? Thanks!

Angel Cruz
01-02-2015, 06:38 AM
Jim, all you doing is adding character. Go ahead and just use it and enjoy the heck out of it. The next ding won't hurt as much.

Brian Dudley
01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
These things happen if you are going to use a gun.

I get people all the time asking about refinishing stocks because they have a single mark in them. I always tell people it is better I wait until you get a few rather than put the money into it for one mark. It is like reprinting your bumper every time you flirt a stone chip.

I have not seen the mark in your stock, but I would say you are not effecting the value of the gun in the long run by letting it be. Use the gun, that is what it is there for.

Gerry Addison
01-02-2015, 09:42 AM
As my gunsmith once told me, "use the gun, there is nothing you can do to it that I can't fix". I've taken that to heart and use my guns now and I have to say I enjoy using them a lot more than them sitting in the gun room and just looking at them!

Dean Romig
01-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Jim, you and your Parker Repro should get out there together and make some good memories. You'll both get scratches.... it's all part of the fun and adds patina to both of you.

Joe Bernfeld
01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Although I agree with all that has been said, no one actually told you that it's pretty much impossible to repair scratches in urethane finished stocks. You could try to put some finish in the scratch with a toothpick and then buff it out after it hardens, but it's doubtful that it will remove the scratch. And you run the risk of adding a large fisheye or halo around the spot if you rub or buff it much.
As you know, your guns won't remain perfect if you use them. Use is what they were made for!

Scot Cardillo
01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
If your gun has the high gloss finish as most Repros do..the judicious use of 2-part clear epoxy laid in carefully w/a toothpick will make that scratch disappear.

If you have that same finish & have to do a small repair that dulls a spot in the finish - careful use of an unwoven buffing wheel charged w/a very fine abrasive will blend the finish back to it's high gloss glory.

Certainly nothing wrong w/caring for your gun but come on..use it and make memories, that is honest wear...don't save it for a museum!!

I like an oil finish

charlie cleveland
01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
i once had a colt 1883 model 10 ga hammerless gunit was so nice i just never enjoy it finally after years of it setting in the tomb i trade it off for a model 42 winchester 410 really liked that 410 but found a parker 10 ga with them big heavy barrels i liked so well that i traded that 410 for the parker..now i m happy with this beat up old parker.. i ve shot this old ten parker a lot but only fired that safe queen twice in the several years i had it..charlie

wayne goerres
01-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Look at it as a badge of honor.

Sam Ogle
01-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Guns get scratches. Not using them is as not making love to a beautiful woman because "she's too pretty."
Use it, hunt with it. Once in a while, you will scratch it.....but the pleasure of getting to shoot with it is worth it.

You and that gun are going to get older. Enjoy it while you can.

Jim Sappington
01-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Thanks all I feel a lot better hearing this from you guys.
Jim

Fred Lowe
01-03-2015, 12:05 PM
The first scratch is the hardest!

I try not to add to them but, I find that I remember events by the dings on my gun. They hold great memories, of favored dogs now gone, golden grain fields waving in the wind, and shots made and missed.
All of them are honest dings, part of the gun now and part of me.

Jeff O'Neill
01-04-2015, 09:01 AM
My first scratches occurred on first hunt with the gun, two weeks after NIB purchase. Just a rite of passage.

Peter Clark
01-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Here's a "real" scratch on the repro.
This was when Wyatt took that tumble grouse hunting last September.
-plc-

Peter Clark
01-10-2015, 01:57 PM
...and here it is today after more Brad Bachelder magic.

Jim Sappington
01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Wow! Thad did a number on it. I'm glad it was able to be repaired. Did he take it right back out after the repair? Thanks for sharing. Jim

Peter Clark
01-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Wyatt hasn't shot it yet but I did, shot a duck with it, just to be sure it was OK. Enjoy yours.