PDA

View Full Version : opening chokes on a repro

Fred Lowe
12-28-2014, 01:27 PM
When dealing with an original Parker it seems the advice is try anything(spreader wads) other than adjusting chokes.
Why is it when dealing with a reproduction,opening chokes is not such a negative. Or am I misunderstanding.
It seems that I have read in other posts, owners will open their repro 28" MOD/FULL barrels to SK/SK or Q1/Q2.
Does this negatively affect price, desirability?
Opinions?

Andy Humphriss
12-28-2014, 01:38 PM
IMHO it all depends on what you want to do with your repro. If its pristine and purchased as an investment leave it alone. If you plan on hunting, or shooting it open the chokes. Depending on gauge, most 28 gauge repos are choked very tight. Opening them up will make the gun much more usable. Either way enjoy your guns.

Greg Baehman
12-28-2014, 02:01 PM
We discussed that here:
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10983
This is the same thread that some posters altered their Repros to suit their needs and swore they would never sell them in their lifetimes. But, then ultimately did sell them--a couple of them at a price much less than they were originally asking.

William Davis
12-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Considering all best thing to do if Parker Chokes are too tight is buy another gun. 3/4 of the time it's a mistake one reason or the other.

William

Joe Bernfeld
12-29-2014, 11:35 PM
It's your gun. Do with it what you like :rolleyes:.

Bill Murphy
12-30-2014, 08:23 AM
If it is a two barrel set, just shoot the short barrels. If a one barrel 28" gun, they are so scarce that the value with opened chokes would suffer. Sell it and buy a two barrel set.

Fred Lowe
01-01-2015, 08:01 PM
I have a couple 28 ga. 2 barrel sets currently, both are IC/MOD + MOD/FULL.
I want to have an open set of barrels for close in work on Mearns quail.
It may be that I just want another 28 Repro.
I haven't had much success in finding a SG, splinter, DT, Q1/Q2 gun.