PDA

View Full Version : Odd screw and choke marking?

Greg Baehman
12-09-2014, 11:26 AM
This is a Parker Repro DHE 28-ga. 2-bbl. set.

Why the screw between the lugs on the bottom set of barrels?

Have you ever seen a Repro stamped with a "Qll" choke designation rather than the customarily seen Q2 stamp?

Dean Romig
12-09-2014, 11:52 AM
I've never seen that choke marking on a Repro with a "quail 2" choke.

We've seen Winchesters stamped with WS I and WS II.....

As far as the screw is concerned, an extractor set of barrels would have that retaining or 'stop' screw but we know that all Repros were made with ejector barrels.... or were they? :shock:

Pretty odd also that the 00 frame size stamps were stamped with two different dies.

Could this set of barrels have been ordered this way for some particular reason?

This is really an enigma...

Dean Romig
12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't know if Bob Skeuse has access to the original order records for the Repros but a serial number might help.

Jeff O'Neill
12-09-2014, 05:36 PM
No such screw on either set of my 28 ga barrels. Can't speak to the choke markings as I do not have a Q1/Q2 set.

Steve Kleist
12-09-2014, 11:19 PM
My Parker Repro DHE 28-ga. 2-bbl. set does not have screws on either set.
Steve

Richard Skeuse
12-10-2014, 09:26 AM
That's Odd to me also..If I could get the S/N I could look it up. The whole thing looks weird to me . There was NOT a screw there when it left us that's for sure

Jeff O'Neill
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
That's Odd to me also..If I could get the S/N I could look it up. The whole thing looks weird to me . There was NOT a screw there when it left us that's for sure

Richard: You and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting, but Jack and Tom are among the true gentlemen I've met in the chemical industry. Please give them my best, tell them I continue to prize my Parker Reproduction, and that my wife forgives them for selling it to me! Best regards... Jeff O'Neill

Scot Cardillo
12-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Checked the three 28 bbls that reside in my safe and no screw in any of them - also checked the markings on the one SK choked bbl that I have - it is marked SK1 & SK2 as you suggested typical.

My only thought (for what it's worth) as to "why" somebody would have modified ..I can only surmise that the idea was to regulate the ejectors somehow affecting the strength in which shells are ejected.

-or- just an anomaly (sp?)

...from a manufacturing perspective it seems as if it could have been a prototype in that it could have been a conceptual way to stop or slow the ejector rods, however the Repros were manufactured following a known/proven design...strange

Could it have been a way to choose the option of ejector or extractor? Makes sense to me..

Dean Romig
12-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Checked the markings on the one SK choked bbl that I have - it is marked SK1 & SK2 as you suggested typical.

Do we now have an additional choke marking anomaly or did you really mean to type Q1 & Q2 ??

Scot Cardillo
12-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Do we now have an additional choke marking anomaly or did you really mean to type Q1 & Q2 ??

Oops...good call..Q1/Q2

Dean Romig
12-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks Scot for clearing that up. :smiley7:

Kenny Graft
12-11-2014, 07:36 AM
The barrel lug looks fresh and bright...Maybe the barrels were dropped or damaged and the lug had to be replaced? The OO stamp does not match witch also points that way......SXS ohio

Greg Baehman
12-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Most, if not all, of the Parker Reproduction brochures listed what we call Quail chokes as SK1 and SKll.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=99&pictureid=1021

I seem to recall that there was a period of time when the guns were stamped SK1 and SKll (or was it SK2? As I haven't seen one 1st hand myself) and then changed to the Quail (Q) designation for greater market appeal.

Dean Romig
12-11-2014, 01:18 PM
I seem to recall that there was a period of time when the guns were stamped SK1 and SKll (or was it SK2? As I haven't seen one 1st hand myself) and then changed to the Quail (Q) designation for greater market appeal.

As I recall, there is something about this very subject in the chapter on Parker Reproductions in The Parker Story.

Greg Baehman
12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
You're right Dean, I just went and re-read that in TPS. I had it wrong as I thought the SK marked guns came first, but it was reported in TPS that the Q1/Q2 choke designation appeared first in 1986 to appeal to quail hunters and then changed to SKI/SKII in 1988. I have to believe that the SKI/SKII marked guns are few and far between, as I cannot recall seeing one first hand--but then I'm getting old. :eek:

Andy Humphriss
12-11-2014, 04:47 PM
I have a dhe 28 gauge two barrel set marked q1 and qui on the 26" barrels with a screw in between the lugs and imp cyc and mod on the 28" barrels with no screw between the lugs. It also has different oo stampings on the barrel lugs. Sn on my gun is 28 -01238.

Andy Humphriss
12-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Sorry that choke marking should read q1 and q11.

Dean Romig
12-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Andy, would you please reaffirm your choke markings?

You typed Q1 and Q11
We would expect to see Q1 and Q2 or Ql and Qll but not Q1 and Q11

I know this is getting technical but in order to define exactly the way these chokes are marked we need to be specific.
has anyone ever seen SKl and SKll on Repro flats? I haven't.

Thanks.

Andy Humphriss
12-11-2014, 05:56 PM
The chokes are marked ql and qll