PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Update as requested by OH Osthaus

Dean Romig
09-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Grace, my English Setter pup, is 16 weeks old next week. Her registered name is Olga's Grace of Coronation.
Her training is going well, both yard work, obedience, and field work. She is a bit stubborn at times but mostly just wants to please me. She chases butterflies and grasshoppers and eats anything she can put in her mouth - acorns - horse pucks - moss - sticks - mushrooms - dead mice - deer, rabbit, goose, and turkey poo.... the list is endless and I have to maintain a constant vigil. I find myself with my fingers in her mouth or down her throat quite a lot and have contemplated a soft muzzle but feel that would be too distracting for her.

I had forgotten that puppies and their training is a LOT of work... but worth it in the end.

This picture I call "Dog is My Co-pilot". She's normally in her crate when travelling.

Mills Morrison
09-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Looking good

Angel Cruz
09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
She's beautiful Dean!! There's an English Setter breeder up north Florida and I've been thinking about paying them a visit. I think your girls is about to push me over the edge.

Russ Jackson
09-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Beautiful Pup Dean ,Glad to hear things are going well ,Man aren't they a handful at that age ! I sure miss my Brits but just haven't decided to commit to a new Pup yet ,I seem busier than ever !

Eric Eis
09-29-2014, 02:25 PM
It's amazing how quickly we forget how much time an effort it takes to bring up a pup. She sure is a "looker". Good luck Dean, you know it takes about two years for a setter to come all the way out of puppyhood :eek:, just thought I would mention that.....:rotf:

Dean Romig
09-29-2014, 02:28 PM
It takes about two years for a setter to come all the way out of puppyhood :eek:, just thought I would mention that.....:rotf:

*Groan....* :banghead:

Tom Carter
09-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Dean, Who was drinking from the cup? You or Grace?

Dean Romig
09-29-2014, 03:15 PM
That's my travel mug of coffee.... we share it, Grace and me.

Steve Havener
09-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Damn I love Bird Dogs and Setters in particular. She looks like a sweet heart.

Rick Losey
09-29-2014, 03:50 PM
pretty pup - seems very intent on where ever you are going

and Dean- don't let the puppy for two years worry you - its not true

my younger one is 6 and still is a pup. Spent the weekend at the vets because he swallowed something he should not have. No surgery required, so he won't miss Wednesday's opening, but he did cost me half of the next Hardy reel to ransom

Mills Morrison
09-29-2014, 03:50 PM
My next dog will probably be a Brittany. My lab is nearing retirement age. He likes the few dove hunts we go on, but does not have the stamina he used to have.

Nothing like a fun and loving new puppy

Bob Hardison
09-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Dean: My granddaughter's name is Grace. She always gives me hugs and kisses. Hope your Grace gives hugs and kisses also (dogs hug differently than people but it is still the same). She is almost as beautiful as my granddaughter! :)

My dog, Axel gives me hugs but we do not kiss. I guess it is the guy thing between us. :nono: Bob

Dean Romig
09-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Just a few pics from field work today. The first is last week when Mr. Suponski dropped by with Danny for a short visit. Grace knows Dave as "Uncle Who Dat?"

In the video I am training her to the whistle. She does well in the field but at home she is hard-headed and often won't come.

Dean Romig
09-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Video, I hope....

Aw nuts.... the file is too big even in it's zipped format.

Angel Cruz
09-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Dean. I love that block spot on her front shoulder. It looks like a pocket.

Gary Laudermilch
09-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Good looking setter! She'll be working grouse this season. After they figure out what the game is a bunch of that puppy stuff will leave.

My oldest setter will turn 15 this winter. He is still doing pretty good, just a whole lot slower. Hope to shoot a bird over him this season. So, you have lots of time to wish for a settled dog. Enjoy the puppy days. I think they are the best of all.

Good Luck!

chris dawe
09-29-2014, 08:10 PM
She looks great Dean !!!,beautiful actually ....and I have to agree the black spot is really neat .
Nice whistle hanger too ;)

Rick Losey
09-29-2014, 08:24 PM
My oldest setter will turn 15 this winter. He is still doing pretty good, just a whole lot slower. Hope to shoot a bird over him this season.

:clap:

And I thought Osthaus was doing good at 11

Dave Suponski
09-29-2014, 09:00 PM
She is wonderful!!!!!! This world would suck without puppys. Especially bird dog puppys.....:rotf:

Dean..now that you sit home and do nothing all day you will have plenty of time to train Gracie....

ron belanger
09-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Beautiful pup! Don't worry...2 years will fly by! My Springer, Bela, will be 2 in November...there isn't an hour that passes where she doesn't bring me joy in the way only a good dog can! You're forging a life-long friend/companionship that is one of the greatest, experiences that we can have as humans...enjoy every mischievous, minute...as they will add up quickly! May she bring many birds to your hand!

Harold Lee Pickens
09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Dean,
beautiful pup. I guess that I will have to announce that I am also the proud owner of a little 12 week old female setter pup. I have not had the time to download any pictures yet, but will post them soon. My other 2 setters are 9, Betty, and Shiner will be 13 this fall. I wanted to wait until next year, but one of my best friends had , what he claimed will be his last litter of pups, and he wanted to give one to me. They are a little different bloodline than the 5 setters I have had. She will be all white in the body with orange ears and 2 orange eye patches. I have always been drawn to black and white setters, but she is a little sweetheart, and I think she will be on the small side. Easy to work with so far. Too bad she will be too young to hunt when I hit the UP for the last 2 weeks of October, but she will make the trip and I will work her each day.
Fancy is the pups name, Betty is the wonderful little setter in my avatar.

George Lander
09-30-2014, 12:28 AM
Dean: Please don't be offended when I say: "She's a WHOLE LOT prettier than her master".

Best Regards, George

John Havard
09-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Dean, nothing makes the heart happier than the exuberance of a pup. She's beautiful. With every breath I take I miss my lovely and talented Hershee. Enjoy and cherish the wonderful early years because they are very special. Perhaps not the best years, but they are definitely very special.

I am happy for you and for Grace. It's obvious that she's in a good place with someone who cares deeply for her. And that's the way it should be, because no other animal on the face of the earth loves as completely as a good dog.

Please give her a pet for me.

John

Harold Lee Pickens
09-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Dean, dont want to hijack your thread on that beautiful setter, but finally got a few pictures of Fancy downloaded. My looks also pale in comparison.

Rick Losey
09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Way too cute Harold. Even you will look good following her in the woods

:rotf:

Dean Romig
09-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Harold, she's a pretty girl by anyone's standards!! She'll be hard to keep clean....

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Well There is one thing us old Parker Farts know how to do and that is pick up a good looking girl, great pup Dean, years of storied hunts in her, congrats Gary

legh higgins
10-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Dean Where on earth did you get such a beautiful and smart puppy??

Dean Romig
10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
At Coronation Kennels in Lowell, VT. run by wonderful people and they have a great line of dogs.... Corey Ford had one of this line... Twombly setters - there is a great history with these dogs.

Rick Andrejat
10-02-2014, 12:48 PM
A beautiful setter! I hope the training continues well. As I recall, my Gordon Setter trained me!

calvin humburg
10-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Nice dog Dean!! Sam goes everwhere with me sept on motorcycle. Life without dogs... O I think it takes a couple years on EP's as well

Dean Romig
10-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Yeah, we just spent six years without a dog.... couldn't stand it any longer. Like I said before, this is my 'bucket list' dog. Hopefully we'll hunt together til we both can't do it anymore....

Mike Koneski
10-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Nice pup!! Dean, as you have seen, we too are fond of Setters. Ours are now 6 and 2 and will be hunting together for the first time this bird season!! English Setters are puppies forever!! :whistle:

Dean Romig
10-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Dean, English Setters are puppies forever!! :whistle:

Gawd, I hope not! I don't know if I could take it :shock:

Seriously, your dogs are wonderful Mike. First hunt huh? Is that for the young one or for both?

Grace's first real hunt will be tomorrow in Vermont, then Sunday and then Monday possibly with her sire or dam.

Angel Cruz
10-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I was supposed to start my season on Sunday but my boy Nash is getting stiches as I type.
Last night while taking a pee he brushed against a piece of wire and got a cut on his rear right armpit area. The vet said if he got stitches no hunting. Well he needed stitches...:crying:

Mike Koneski
10-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Gawd, I hope not! I don't know if I could take it :shock:

Seriously, your dogs are wonderful Mike. First hunt huh? Is that for the young one or for both?

Grace's first real hunt will be tomorrow in Vermont, then Sunday and then Monday possibly with her sire or dam.

Both dogs have hunted. Deacon has 5 seasons under his belt including grouse/woodcock in Maine. Ghillie has hunted chukar and pheasant. This will be the first season they hunt as a brace! Ghillie also began retrieving all on his own without any training. It's gonna be a fun season.

Rick Losey
02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
you have not lost Gracie in all that snow have you????

Dean Romig
02-10-2015, 08:23 PM
I'll tell ya, it's awfully hard to pick her out when she's standing still.

Dave Suponski
02-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Gracie standing still......Now thats hard to believe....:rotf:

Dean Romig
02-10-2015, 08:41 PM
You got that right :biglaugh:

David Hendrey
02-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Dean, she is a beautiful pup! How is she doing now?

Dean Romig
02-11-2015, 01:34 PM
She is doing very well with the exception that she is anxiously waiting til the snow depth is such that she can get out in her favorite fields to run and find birds.

Fred Lowe
02-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Gosh Dean she's gorgeous!

There is a very special place in my cold heart for English Setters........

Dean Romig
02-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Here's a very recent one taken with Kathy's phone.

Rick Losey
02-12-2015, 01:00 PM
great picture

Gary Laudermilch
02-12-2015, 01:40 PM
That is one fine looking young lady. Great picture!

Yesterday I got the tractor out and plowed paths around my pasture field so the dogs have a place to run. Our snow, while only about a foot deep has a crust on it that sometimes will but most times not support their weight. Can be hard on a dog that tries to run through it.

Spring is coming!!

Dean Romig
02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
I can't even get my snow blower up into my upper yard where Grace runs so we have to shovel it. It takes four big blocked shovel-fulls each 10" deep just to get down to the ground. We should have taken Grace to Florida when we were invited by her family.

Greg Baehman
02-12-2015, 01:54 PM
That last pic Dean sure captures the essence of the breed. Covergirl material right there!

Mark Vollinger
02-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Great looking setter Dean. My first hunting dog was a Setter.
We are going to pick up a seven week GSP in Ruidoso on Sunday will send pics.

Mark

Dean Romig
02-20-2015, 07:22 PM
That's great Mark. I'd really like to see the pics.

Dean

Steve Cambria
02-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Like they say in my old stompin' grounds Deanno: She looks like one, wicked pissah!! What a classic pose. RGS calendar shot for sure!

PS---That was also one beautiful looking ES in The Westminster Show this week.

Dean Romig
05-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Last weekend at the lake in Maine, Grace proved she is a lot like her sire, Coronation's Earl, in that upland birds aren't the only thing she'll point. She "locked on" to a big female snapping turtle heading back to the water after having deposited her eggs on a gravel sidehill above my cottage. Fortunately it wasn't the other way around, the snapper 'locking on' to Grace :eek:

Gerald McPherson
05-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Them turtle dogs are high. Turtle stew is very good.

Harold Lee Pickens
05-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Dean, I was always told that any bird dog worth its kibble would point any turtle it came across. All my dogs will point box turtles very intensely. My dearly beloved old setter Speck was not only hell on grouse, but she was the damdest possum dog you ever saw. Whenever the weather would warm up in the winter, you would think she was working a running bird, but it would turn out to be a possum. Now, a possum over point is not a difficult target, but I am still debating over the best shot size/choke combo for them.
Probably should use a Fox on them--a Fox gets the game.

John Taddeo
05-14-2015, 12:08 PM
My shorthairs love to point them damn snakes and porkies.. Dean, very refreshing to see pictures of your gorgeous Setter without half her face swollen, though if she keeps playing with mammoth snappers ??? :nono: :nono:

Gerald McPherson
05-14-2015, 07:18 PM
When I was young I hardly ever missed a turtle but now that I am Old They seem to be much faster. Was you able to get that one for the dog Dean? HEE HEE!!!!!

John Taddeo
05-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Dean swung right, the Turtle took a hard left and put an aspen between them. :rotf:

Dean Romig
05-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Actually, I got ahold of Grace and held her back while Mama Turtle beat a hasty trail to water's edge. We have a number of large snappers in the lake and they don't bother us. They even come around while we and the grandkids are swimming. They're more afraid of us than we are of them but they're curious and sometimes show their snouts within fifteen feet of a group of swimmers. Two summers ago I was relaxing (actually sleeping) on a tube when I was awakened by something bumping the tender back of my upper arm. Completely out of character I screamed like a little girl and just about walked on water getting the heck out of there.... It was either this particular turtle or one of equal size testing my tenderness before taking a taste. :shock: