PDA

View Full Version : Galazan Gamekeeper slip-on recoil pad size

Jerry McCarty
09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Hello - by chance, has anyone used one of the Galazan slip-on recoil pads for their Repro? In need of one for my 20 ga. Repro and have taken measurements of the butt and think the Medium size should fit but would prefer not to have to make a return... I'm a little concerned about the 5" length (toe to heel measures almost exactly 5") but thinking that the contour of the heel/spur will allow use of the medium pad.. Any first hand experience with this product use on a 20 ga. repro appreciated.

Jerry

Todd Schrock
09-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Jerry,

You will need the Large size. The Medium will not fit. I would advise you to call your order in by phone to make sure a Large is ordered and shipped. I ordered a Large via their web site and a Medium showed up. :mad: Good luck.

Todd

Jerry McCarty
09-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Todd - thanks much for the reply. I will do as you advise and give them a call. Is it the heel to toe dimension that makes the Medium not work? My measurements are 5"L x 1.5"W.

Thanks again,
Jerry

Greg Baehman
09-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm not trying to be confusing, but I've got a medium size Galazan Gamekeeper Slip-On Pad that fits my 20-ga. Repro's stock perfectly. IMHO, a large would be too big.

Todd Schrock
09-04-2014, 05:49 PM
No problem Greg. Maybe my pads are not broke in enough yet to fit correctly.

I just tried the medium on my 20 Repro (5" length)and the Velcro will not secure due to it being too far apart to overlap. Also, the toe does not go all the way down inside pad like it should. However, it fits my 28 Repro perfect (4 5/8" length). Again, my pads are still fairly new and there is not much stretch in the leather. Or, maybe my medium pad was just made smaller than normal?

Jerry, I don't know. You might have to order both M & L to see which fits your gun the best.

Jerry McCarty
09-04-2014, 08:19 PM
I spoke with the folks at Galazan this afternoon and ended up getting the large size. The gentleman said the new inventory they just received measure very close to 5" in the heel to toe dimension. It may however, end up being a little large in the width. I will be driving right by the shop(s) on my way up to Vermont's Northeast Kingdom next month so may have an excuse to stop in..either way, I'll post back with results on the fit.

Pat Dugan
09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
I use the Beartooth, you can get exact lenth of pull with inserts, i just use them to keep the gun from slipping, cost at Gander mountain $15.00

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eMwNWUDtL.jpg

Dean Romig
09-05-2014, 09:31 PM
I will be driving right by the shop(s) on my way up to Vermont's Northeast Kingdom next month.

Jerry, where do you go in the "Kingdom", what town?

Jerry McCarty
09-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Dean, nearby Lyndonville is 'town' for us but we roam covers from there north to around Island Pond.

Dean Romig
09-06-2014, 12:32 PM
That's just about where I hunt..... maybe 5 - 10 miles from Lyndonville. Excellent grouse country around there.

Remember to have breakfast at the Lyndonville Diner (across the street from the sporting goods store) and order the deep-fried french toast.... it is unbelievably fantastic!!!

Jerry McCarty
09-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Absolutely Dean... The diner is a morning ritual.

Dean Romig
09-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Jerry, how long do you plan to be in the Kingdom?

Jerry McCarty
09-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Dean- not long enough... just 4 days during the second week of October. How about you?

Dean Romig
09-07-2014, 09:01 AM
No definite plans, but as often as possible in October. Lyndonville is only a three hour drive from home so it's not really difficult to get there. We'll see what takes precedent this year - I want to get the new puppy exposed as much as possible to birds so there will be a lot of training and maybe not so much actual hunting for me as when I was dogless.

Jerry McCarty
09-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Getting back to the Galazan pad.. The large-size gamekeeper pad arrived today and is usable on my straight gripped 20 but not a snug fit. There is about 1/8" of play in the long axis and probably the same in the width. Velcro closure gets pretty tight but expect it will work a little loose with carry and the extra 1/8" play will become noticeable. Fits my 12 nicely -also straight gripped so, I'll just get another in size medium for the 20 ga. Hope this helps someone who is also considering this product.

Jerry McCarty
09-17-2014, 10:11 PM
To close the loop on this, I'm glad to report that the current medium size game keeper pad from Galazan fits my straight grip 20 ga. perfectly.

Greg Baehman
09-18-2014, 06:53 AM
To close the loop on this, I'm glad to report that the current medium size game keeper pad from Galazan fits my straight grip 20 ga. perfectly.
Hhmmm, where have I read that before?