PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider Repros " collectible"?

Greg Baehman
06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Are Repros collectible? If not, why not? If so, why? Do certain models offer more collectibilty than others?

Can you cite any other makers in the Repros price range that offer a greater possibility of appreciation than a Parker Reproduction?

Kenny Graft
06-06-2014, 05:51 PM
All quality firearms are good solid investments....they do not go down in value like other things we collect. They keep up with inflation as the new gun increase in cost so do used guns. Any gun that is no longer made will become collectable or have added value due to scarcity. Like the JM marlin rifles we see now for sale, colts , smiths and Parker repro's all solid investments. I collect guns that I personally like and use...seldom do I loose a dime on any of them and normally make 20-30% at the time of sale if I have owned them a few years..(-: SXS ohio...(-:

Rob Greenside
06-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I believe so, especially 12 ga. models, and higher grades in any gauge. I missed out on a nice sporting clays version 12 ga. last year, and they are very difficult to find. The BHE grades are beautifully made reproductions that should always be good investments, as long as they are left original.

Bob Jurewicz
06-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I am of the belief that current Repro pricing on all guns is very depressed!!! Before the "crash" 28G were selling between $5K and $6K if you could find them. Double trigger guns have always commanded a premium. 20's were in the mid to upper $4's.
12's ,although rarer, never got their just due on pricing.
So, the bottom line by my beliefs is, Now Is The Time To Buy!!!!
As Jim Cramer would say: BUY-BUY BUY!!!!
Bob Jurewicz

Bill Murphy
06-10-2014, 08:39 AM
I agree with Bob. 28 and 12 gauge models with 28" barrels or two barrel sets will be very hard to find once collectors absorb them. Consequently, these variations are very attractive buys today. The market has been quite a bit higher in the past than it is now, even though there are fewer guns available for sale today.

Dean Romig
06-10-2014, 08:52 AM
There seems to be a popular (but unspoken) mindset recently that if you're selling a Parker or Repro - or any nice gun these days - you have to sell it because you need the money and you'll soon lower your price.... this ain't necessarily so folks and pretty soon the sellers won't be lowering their prices.

Buy now - you can never pay too much for a Parker or a Repro (but sometimes you can pay it a little too soon).

John Dallas
06-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Repros are nice reproductions of a Parker, but IMHO, virtually nothing made in Japan is "collectible". Attractive investments? - Maybe. They have built some interesting, nice cars, but I can't think of one which i would call collectible. Nikons are good cameras, but they don't have the cachet of a Leica.

Donovan Kirkpatrick
06-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Samurai swords and netsukes seem pretty collectible.

Greg Baehman
06-11-2014, 10:08 AM
I don't look at Parker Reproductions as something made in Japan in the same light as many other products that came out of Japan. After all, weren't they designed by an American born in the USA, the brainchild of an American born in the USA, built by an American company headquartered in the USA (albeit utilizing a production facility located in Japan), stock wood supplied by an American company located in the USA, marketed by an American company located in the USA and sold through a network of American dealers in the USA?

Furthermore, Parker Reproduction cases were made in Italy and the snap caps were made in England.

If anything, given the USA, Japan, Italy and England connections, Parker Reproductions was/is an international endeavor with worldwide reaching proportions to be enjoyed and collected by many generations yet to come . . . and they're here for us right now.

Rob Greenside
06-11-2014, 04:54 PM
I agree !!!!.........with "Wild Skies".

Sam Ogle
06-12-2014, 07:32 AM
There is a mindset that came out of WWII and after, that anything Japanese is junk. We (well, most of us) have learned that is simply not so. I remember a story from 40+ years ago (probably just legend) about a company that sent a drill bit to Japan; asking them if they could reproduce one that small and of the hard temper: The answer was a hole drilled lengthwise through the sample bit.
Parker Reproductions will one day be worth lots of bucks, simply because they are extremely well made. The opportunity to own a 28 gauge original Parker is remote for most folks, however, I own and shoot a wonderful 2 trigger 28" straight stocked beavertail gun that is an absolute delight. For me to find and purchase an original like that would be impossible.
Yes, they will be worth collecting, as long as our next generations don't forget what a side by side is like.

Dean Romig
06-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Plus the fact that only about 10,000 Repros, in all gauges, were made and are made of modern, higher grade steels and with closer tolerances.
Original Parkers have that aura and mystique we all appreciate and wish they could only speak... but it won't be long before the Repros acquire those same attributes of desirability.

Remember - there will never be any more Parkers made.... and there will never be any more Parker Reproduction by Winchesters made either.