PDA

View Full Version : Parker Reproduction Review

Rud Blumentritt
05-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I wanted to share this review I found and see if anyone had similar experiences with Repros or if this guys experience is the exception. I am in the market for a Repro and came across this article. Has me concerned. Thanks.

http://shotgunreport.com/2013/09/13/parker-reproductions/

Mark Ouellette
05-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Bruce Buck wrote of his experience with a single trigger Parker Reproduction 28 gauge. Many members shoot a reproduction or two and enjoy them. Bruce is correct that the 20 gauge models were a bit heavy for a 20 gauge Parker. The 28 gauge reproductions are wonderful guns and many times less expensive than an original Parker 28 gauge!

The single trigger problems can be corrected by a knowledgeable doublegun smith. The short length of pull cannot easily be corrected except by a slip on pad.

If you want a small bore Parker then a reproduction may be for you. Or, maybe not...

Mark

Robin Lewis
05-18-2014, 08:21 AM
I have been hunting and shooting a Repro 28ga DHE since 199? with no problems at all. My hunting buddy hunts with a Repro 12ga BHE and I don't think he has had any issues either. We both have dbl triggers so I can't comment on the single doubling.

I, for one think these guns are great to carry and shoot and a great value too.

Bill Murphy
05-18-2014, 10:40 AM
I used to shoot competitive International Skeet with Bruce Buck, so I can attest that he knows which end the shot comes out. However, his assessment of stock dimensions does not jive with my experience. My straight grip 28 gauge has a 14 5/8 length of pull to the front trigger, which is plenty long for me. Also, the most complaints about drop have been that the stocks are too straight, not too crooked, as Bruce describes. Also, I don't know anyone who has not been able to solve the single trigger problems. If you buy an unfired or lightly used single trigger Repro, understand that you are buying a gun that is either dry inside or has 30 year oil on the inside. Expect that some of these guns will have single trigger problems. Our experience on this subforum is that a good cleaning solves these problems. I think you will get more hard information on Repros on this subforum than from gun reviewers who "once shot a Repro".

Bill Davis
05-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Bill M. is right on in his comments! The single trigger issues are really non-issues with a good cleaning and light lube. LOP's do vary from gun to gun but are adequate fir most folks, esp with hunting clothes on!

Greg Baehman
05-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Standard LOP of Repros typically varied from 14 1/8" for a ST in the rear position gun to 14 3/8" and 14 3/4" for DT guns. I'd bet many owners of original classic American doubles wish their guns had trigger pulls as long as the Repros -- not to mention the excessive drop found on many of them.

Dean Romig
05-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Among my Repro's is a twenty-gauge with a single trigger, straight stock and beavertail. It has two sets of barrels, 26" and 28". I've shot it for a decade at many thousands of skeet targets and never experienced any of the issues "Technoid" seems to have been plagued with... never!

Dave Suponski
05-18-2014, 05:27 PM
And let us not forget there are those that cannot shoot a single trigger gun.

Bill Murphy
05-18-2014, 07:11 PM
You must remember that the Repro you buy will have the stock dimensions of the gun that you have agreed to buy. Once you have the gun in hand, the stock dimensions will be either what you want or what you don't want. Ask your questions before you send the check. My "ONE" Repro arrived at my door with the exact specifications that I asked for. Don't pay for a gun you won't like.

Gary Laudermilch
05-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Rud,

You are apparently doing your homework before purchasing - a wise move in any case. I would like to offer you my two cents on repros which will likely differ from those of others. I do not intend it to be derrogatory toward any other opinions but, rather, give you another point of view.

I have two repros and they are considerably different in dynamics. Both are 20's, pistol grip, double trigger guns. One is 26" splinter at 6/12 lbs.and the other 28" beavertail at very near the 7 lb mark. I've owned one straight grip gun and will never have another which is contrary to popular opinion. They just do not suit me except for aesthetics.

The short gun is my go to grouse gun. I'm creeping up on the 70 mark and find it very easy to carry. I've shot many a gun while pursuing ol' ruff and this Parker is one of the best I have ever handled. The longer gun was purpose bought for clays and some dove hunting. While dynamically different it is well suited to my intended use although I don't think I would pursue another beavertail as it is a bit bulky for my tastes. It does keep your hands cool though. These guns get quite hot quickly when shooting 5-stand or skeet. I have shot numerous 28 ga. guns and have yet to find one that suits me because the field guns are just too light for me. If you want to have a pleasant experience take a heavier 20 and shoot 3/4 oz loads at moderate velocity. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.

I love my repros and while I have no experience with the single trigger I think there are others that can effectively advise you on that issue. On the negative side of the equation though; I have broken ejector hammers on both my guns. Others have not had the same experience so I must be attracted to weak ejector guns.

If you like the Parker repro do not hesitate to pursue one that suits your needs/tastes. Take your time to find the right one. It took me 4 years to find the 28 inch gun at the right price. It will be worth the time. Good Luck!

Richard Skeuse
05-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I saw the review that Bruce Buck wrote....um... None of my brothers nor I are 6'2" or taller. None are over 6 feet anything. I think I am nearly the tallest and I am 5'10" so take the article for what its worth. Just saying and not trying to start anything. Oh , Yes the guns were made in the 80's and there are still unfired guns out there, Just bought one last week. So there will be gummed up triggers. Yes there were a few trigger problems. Clay Target Sports does a wonderful job of repairing them. So you like the gun use it if not then sell it. Have a wonderful shooting day and enjoy your doubles. Thanks

Greg Baehman
05-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for that Richard, but now you've got us all scratching our heads wondering what you bought last week. Could it have been the BHE 20 2-bbl. set that you asked about? :corn:

Richard Skeuse
05-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Ha Ha, Nice guess

Rud Blumentritt
05-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all that replied. My quest can now continue!

Rich Anderson
05-20-2014, 04:59 PM
My first "Parker" was a repo 28ga straight stock and SST. At the time I figured it was as close to a real Parker as I was going to get. I also bought a 20ga when they went on sale at the end from Cape Outfitters. That gun was a PG, splinter and SST. I hunted a lot of Grouse and Pheasants with both guns in all kinds of weather and never experienced any type of mechanical malfunction. IMHO the 20 is a little heavy but the 28 is a dream. I doubt you will find a better value for your hard earned dollars than a Parker Repo in whatever gauge and configuration you choose.

timcornish
05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
I have 5 repros. The one I shoot the most is the one that I have posted about in the past, a 20/16 combo that is so well used I have not been able to sell it (and am in the process of changing my mind anyway). As soon as I got it and took it dove hunting it started to double. I cursed it but tightened the screws and then loosened up the top trigger plate screw, still doubled. Learned how to take off the stock without breaking the inletting and cleaned the trigger up then tightened down the top screw and no problem at all as long as the screw is tight and I keep the trigger clean. A former owner had glassed the top tang and so it cannot over tighten which, I think with wood shrinkage lets you put odd torsion on the trigger that can cause it to double - so two issues that have caused doubling, the screw tension and filth! All of my Parkers fit me like gloves.

I recently got my son an AYA Matador I with a Miller like single trigger and it started doubling and got incredibly mushy. It was the wood shrinkage just like my Parker 20/16 so I got an old Mauser ferrule and fit it in the stock so the top trigger plate screw could not tighten down too much and now its fine, a 10 minute fix.

I admit I am rash with these fine old guns (old/new but fine none-the-less) but I can keep them going with no big repair bills so far.

Kenny Graft
05-21-2014, 08:05 AM
The Parker repro by Winchester/Skues Is the best recreation we will ever get at the price they sold for and are selling at!!! They are quality that can be reworked if need be. Just think if they have never been made....how many of us would ever own or be able to shoot the little 410, 28-s and 20/16 guns? I see a VH-410 that Cobb listed on GI at 21K!!! I own a DHE 410/28 set with wonderful wood, maker case and beaver tail for little over half of that price....(-: My PR O-frame DHE-20/16 DT-PG-SF comes in at 6lbs-4oz with the 16 28" Ic/Full barrels in place and handles as good as any of the real Parker bro's guns. I have collected more wild Kansas roosters with this gun than any other I ever owned! Nothing in this world is perfect but the repro's come dang close for many of us.....thanks all SXS ohio

Richard Skeuse
05-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Thank You Fellows, I have not figured out how to thank you all on this Forum. How do I do it?

Bill Murphy
05-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Richard, you can't imagine how much we have enjoyed getting to know you on this forum. Maybe some day, you can attend a PGCA function and introduce yourself to us in person. By the way, the "thank you" icon is a thumbs up symbol on the lower right corner of every post. Click on that symbol to thank a poster for his comment. Thanks can be retracted if you change your mind. Bill Murphy

Rich Anderson
05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Thank You Fellows, I have not figured out how to thank you all on this Forum. How do I do it?

You just did:)

Joe Bernfeld
05-23-2014, 11:01 AM
None of this is new information. He didn't even harp on the broken wrist problem (I broke my 28 ga). All of these issues are easy to resolve, and as Buck said, the company did it for him for free. I ordered one of the early 28 ga guns with 26 and 28" barrels. Both shot 10" low at 30 yards. Evidently the factory had put the top ribs on wrong on a bunch of the early 28s. They immediately replaced the gun with another one that Jack Skeuse personally picked, which had the most incredibly figured dark burl stock that I've ever seen. It shot straight :p!