PDA

View Full Version : Converting Reproduction Checkering Borders

Brian Dudley
03-02-2014, 02:15 PM
A common complaint among Parker and Parker Reproduction owners is the lack of correct Meriden style Mullered checkering borders on the production Parker Reproductions.
In fact, the quality of the checkering on production Parker Reproductions is overall lacking. The root being the way the checkering was executed. On these guns, the border outline was cut fully first and then everything was filled in with the point pattern. This creates areas of the pattern that end up with lines not being even with the borders. But... I digress.

This particular DHE Reproduction was brought to me by a gentleman wanting the plain borders converted to the mullered type. Below are the results. I am sure this is nothing new, but thought some would be interested in seeing.

Before.

After.

Bob Jurewicz
03-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Brian, I love it!!!! Thank you!!!
Bob Jurewicz

Greg Baehman
03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Mullered borders look great, but to my understanding Parker Reproductions were clones of Remington-era Parkers. Remington-era Parkers did not have the mullered borders like the Meriden guns. Having said this I, too; have had one of my Repros mullerized.

Have I been misunderstanding all these years?

Brian Dudley
03-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes, Remington (Ilion) guns did not have mullered borders.
I am sure between that and to make things easier, that is why they were not done with mullered borders.
I know the A1S Repros had Mullered borders at least.

I can tell you that Remington single line borders were not spaced as far away from the pattern as the Repro borders.

Bob Jurewicz
03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
If you couldn't tell from the first reply, this is my gun. I have always been bothered by the Repro borders. If factory Repro borders are true to Remington Parker or not, I do not feel they are true to Parker Brothers guns. Were there maybe 6000 Remington guns without mullered compared to, what, 250,00 with that border. I feel that the mullered border is true to the "Brand".
I am not in the habit of modifying original guns of any type. This gun already had its SBP replaced with a pad. So it was a candidate for my happiness-AND I AM.
Bob Jurewicz

Dean Romig
03-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Here is an example of correct Remington borders. Despite it being an earlier gun it went back to Remington and this was done by a Remington craftsman.

Note that at each point, either an external point or an internal point, the lines cut on the inside edge of the border cross to form a diamond.... the sign of original Remington work. The borders of the Repros were not cut this way.

Greg Baehman
03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks for pointing out the crossed corners of the Remington guns Dean. Learned something new again today.

Russ Jackson
03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks for pointing out the crossed corners of the Remington guns Dean. Learned something new again today.

That's just about every day around here ! Yes Thank You Dean ,You are a wealth of knowledge !:bowdown: By The way ,Bob ,I agree ,I would be very happy with the Mullered Borders also ,The Gun Looks Great !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Murphy
03-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I'd love to have my Repro done like that. Unfortunately, the cost to have my Repro recased to proper finish and have the checkering borders redone would exceed the original cost of the gun. Brian, your work is quite impressive.