PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Plated Lifter

Bruce Day
02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Gentlemen, I am posting two photos of a nickel plated Parker 0 grade that is owned by a person well known in the gun industry. The issue is whether the plating is original. He has asked me to look at the gun.

The factory stock book does not show plating, there is no order book. I look at the sharpness of the engraving and stamped letters and see no indication of polishing, which leads me to believe the plating is original.

We know that many guns, such as Mod 12's, were aftermarket plated.

Thoughtful comments are appreciated.

Rick Losey
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
it is my impression that the plating was often done on guns to be used around salt water.

what is the gauge and barrel length? heavy waterfowler?

looks interesting - when looking at the pictures, the side plate Parker engraving seems to have nickle inside the letters so not engraved after plating, but the pat. no stamping looks like bare steel, they would be finer lines to get into.

I assume plating after market, but it was by a craftsman who refitted the parts well and knew how to apply it properly

thanks for posting it

ed good
02-19-2014, 03:27 PM
once had a vh with similar plating.

Erick Dorr
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Charles Parker certainly owned enough factories and sold myriad plated products that if an order for a nickel plated gun was received it could have been filled without any problem.
Many contemporary guns of the period could be ordered with a nickel finish so its not far fetched to imagine that someone might order a plated Parker and the request honored for a price.
Imagine the possibility and not the usual experience.
Erick

PS How original is the rest of the gun? That should be considered a factor when evaluating the originality of the plating.

Bruce Day
02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Thank you Eric. I had entirely forgotten that the Charles Parker Company had ample plating facilities and did that as part of normal operations.

As previously stated, the order book is missing and the stock book is not illuminating.....they seldom are.

Dean Romig
02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Eric makes a very valid point when he suggests it was likely done at one of the plating companies that Parker had financial interests in.

Bruce, may we see a picture of the left side?

Dave Suponski
02-19-2014, 09:33 PM
The nickel plating is clearly very old. Interesting....

Brian Dudley
02-19-2014, 10:37 PM
By the little that I see, the Checkering on the forend is less than legit.

Brad Bachelder
02-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Bruce

As you know, Parker nickle plated some triggers and firing pin bushings. The lifter button appears to be copper colored which would be consistant with plating of that era. The parts were first plated with copper to bond the nickle.
The engraving sharpness is normal for plated parts, the coating is quite thin.
The overall color and patina is consistant with plated handguns of that era.
Parker seemed to be very acomodating to customers wishes, it would not surprise me if the plating was original as a special order.

Brad

John Truitt
02-20-2014, 04:31 PM
my C grade hammer gun has a nickel coated trigger guard that appears very similar.

I think Parker would do what the customer asked

Chuck Bishop
02-20-2014, 05:41 PM
John, if you send me the serial number of your C hammer gun, I'll check the records.

paul stafford jr
02-20-2014, 07:17 PM
the plating is very old not unlike old colt peace makers from the 1880s

Dennis Potter
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Here are a few pictures of a Parker 12 Gauge Hammer gun I purchased at the Vintage Cup a couple of years ago. It is entirely nickel plated, barrels and all. Even the Butt plate screws are completely plated. The engraving is very sharp; I suspect the gun was plated either when it was built, or soon after. There is substantial wear and corrosion on some parts, like the bottom of the action where it was carried. There is no mention in the Parker records that it was done at the factory, but it certainly was not buffed as the engraving is sharp on done. The only parts not plated are the springs.

If someone can assist in how to post a photo, I can post a few, thanks.

Dennis Potter
02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Here are the photos I promised, courtesy Greg Baehman.

David Hamilton
02-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Bruce, Your gun looks to be in remarkable condition. As for the checkering, there are variations in checkering than the standard, who knows what Parker would do for special order? David

greg conomos
02-25-2014, 10:13 PM
I know it's fun to think Parker nickel plated these guns, and a lot of people are trying really hard to agree with that, but in the absence of any solid proof....it was done by someone else. When these guns were 5 years old there were nickel plating shops all over the place that could have easily done it at the request of a gunsmith. That's what you are obligated to presume in the absence of any other evidence.

Mike Franzen
02-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Here are a couple pics of a grade 3 lifter, serial #17859. It too has the plating. The mounted hammers are replacements awaiting appropriate engraving. The single hammer is original

Brian Dudley
02-26-2014, 07:57 AM
I agree in some ways Mike. Unless there is factory records or strong evidence to suppor, it has to be assumed that it is not factory. Absolutely no offense to anyone here, but Sometimes it is easy to defend something that is just not correct by saying it is a special order. But then again, sometimes it is. In the absense of proof, one can only acknowledge that it is not normal.

wayne goerres
02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
I wonder how much it would cost to send one off today and have it nickel plated.

Mike Franzen
02-26-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't believe they left the factory with the plating. If they had I think there would be evidence or mention of it somewhere in the record. My friends gun, which I pictured, is just another unusual Parker with a story lost somewhere in the past. But he loves it and wouldn't part with it.

Dean Romig
02-27-2014, 07:52 AM
I think if nickle plating was a factory option that we would see a lot more examples than we do.