PDA

View Full Version : barrel question

calvin humburg
01-23-2010, 08:05 AM
whats the diff. between a stub twist and a twist? ch

Dean Romig
01-23-2010, 08:50 AM
The type and length of the material used in the composite, I believe.

E Robert Fabian
01-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Some one will have a more eloquent explanation, the stub twist is named from the use of horse shoe and nail stubs that where worked on the anvil so working out the impurities, kinda like a samurai sword.These stubs where the steel used in the steel and Iron combination. In time there just wasn't enough stubs to keep up with the demand. I believe I read that the Stub Twist was a preferred set of barrels.

Drew Hause
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Short version:
Stub-Twist was made with higher quality iron; horse-nail stubs mixed with coach spring steel, fused ("puddled") into a "bloom of iron", then hammer forged into rods, rolled into threads but NOT twisted, which were then wrapped around a mandrel and hammer welded.

Long version: spend the weekend looking around here :)
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_186fpmvhzsb

Austin W Hogan
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
I think that, in reality "Stub Twist", "Plain Twist", and "Twist" were trade names applied by Parker. I can perhaps find a half dozen barrels that can be laid upside down and be quickly identified as stub twist or twist, and bring a great surprise when inverted to show the rib marking.

Best Austin

Drew Hause
01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
The rib guy was also...uh...'flexible'...regarding Laminated Steel barrels; I've seen ribs marked both "Twist" and "Damascus Steel"
The U.S. makers called barrels pretty much whatever they wanted. The Smith F (lowest) grade hammer gun was offered with three barrel choices after 1900: Royal Steel - $20.00, "Best English Stub Twist" (best?) - $23.00 and "Good Strong Damascus" - $25.00 (wow! -both "good" and "strong" :) )