PDA

View Full Version : Repros With Mid Beads

Bob Jurewicz
01-27-2014, 07:41 PM
I own and have seen many Parker Reproductions with mid rib beads. I have never found any "factory" reference to this option. Does anyone have a Factory reference to this feature or are all these an after market modification.
Bob Jurewicz

Gerry Addison
01-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Bob, I have never seen any reference to a mid bead either. I think these are all after market additions and I don't think these would hurt the value in any way as long as quality parts are used and they are well done. At least they wouldn't stop me from buying the gun.

timcornish
02-04-2014, 10:42 PM
The Beavertaitail DT PG I talk about in my recent post has a mid bead and I would bet it is factory. The reason - a "feeling" - but also the gun is with original papers and virtually no use until I got it.

Sam Ogle
02-05-2014, 09:38 AM
I saw where it sold. Congratulations. A wonderful set up, and I bet you will love that gun.
I am guessing the mid bead is an aftermarket addition, and like Gary, think they are one of those additions that neither adds nor subtracts from the value.
(I own a 28Ga 28" DT BTFE Straight Stocked Repro with no mid bead.)
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Dean Romig
02-05-2014, 12:36 PM
(I own a 28Ga 28" DT BTFE Straight Stocked Repro with no mid bead.)
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Wow Sam, what a great gun! What are the chokes?

Ken Hill
02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I have a 28 ga repro with 28" barrels, DT, BTFE and a pistol grip. It does not have a mid bead.

Dean,

The chokes on mine are marked mod and full. I really need to open them up.

Ken

Dean Romig
02-05-2014, 11:11 PM
None of my Repros have a mid bead.... not even the two-barrel set dedicated skeet gun.

Sam Ogle
02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Dean; The chokes WERE Mod/Full, with the "full" at about 40/1000ths. (No Kidding) and the "Mod" over 25/1000ths:
I found that choking over the top, and just way too much for a 28 Ga.
I opened them to IC/IC (about 5/1000ths or 6/1000ths) My Gunsmith said "2/1000ths is about the thickness of scotch tape."
No, I don't recommend this for Parker Repro's, and am prepared for the indignant replies, but for me, it is a much, much more useable set up, and makes the gun a magic wand for me.

Sam Ogle

Dean Romig
02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Sheeesh, .0040" is full for a 12 gauge.... Holy Cow!!!

I would have done the same thing... maybe IC/Lt MOD.

"Make it Yours" is what I say about Repros.

Sam Ogle
02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Dean;
Thank you for the kind response:
I thought I might hear I had made a terrible mistake, and felt I did not.
I did a lot of agonizing about what to get it re-choked to; but in the back of my mind, remembered asking a whiz at sporting clays what chokes he used:
He said "Improved Cylinder." I asked "What other chokes?" He replied
"No other, Improved Cylinder will kill birds or break targets further than a man can shoot."
So; I tried it with a gun with changeable chokes, and found I couldn't argue with him.
That made my mind up. The Gunsmith who did the resizing frowned when I asked him to do this, then measured the chokes, and said "Oh, my gosh..these are way too tight." "The right barrel is too tight for a 28 gauge, and the left barrel is crazy tight."
He asked why they would have been choked that way, and I said I didn't know.
Sam Ogle

Dean Romig
02-06-2014, 11:57 AM
It's one thing if you're a target shooter and it's another if you plan to kill birds. A loosely choked gun will break clays a lot farther out than the same gun will effectively kill birds. Dogs make very good sense in hunting with such a gun.

Sam Ogle
02-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Dean; no arguments from me.
I sent you a pm.:bigbye:
Sam Ogle