PDA

View Full Version : Question about butt pads/plates

David Harnitchek
01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
My brother and brother in-law are avid sport clay shooters. I've been out with them a couple of times and I really enjoy it. They've got over/unders, semi's and single shots. Despite their advice and odd looks from the folks at Cabelas and other local gun shops, I want a SxS. It seems to me that a Parker reproduction would be an excellent choice. I saw a DHE sporting clay model with a rubber butt pad and several choke tubes. I understand that the rubber butt pad was standard on the sporting clay model. I also saw a regular DHE repro with a rubber butt pad. Were rubber butt pads options on a standard DHE?

Based on what I've been reading, keeping guns as original as possible is important. I don't mind a rubber butt pad but wouldn't the stock have been cut to put it on?

Thanks
Dave

Greg Baehman
01-21-2014, 08:30 PM
The rubber butt pad you saw on that Sporting Clays Classic was not on the gun when it was born---it came from the factory with a SSBP. Skeleton Steel Butt Plates were the only type butt treatment applied to all Repros. A leather covered recoil pad was considered for the SCC, but never implemented.

Skeleton Steel Butt Plates were the standard butt treatment to the original Parker DHEs. Rubber recoil pads were option with the DHEs and I believe they cost an additional $5.00.

Dean Romig
01-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Dave, if you like the gun with a rubber pad and the price reflects the non-original modification then, of course, buy the thing - and shoot that gun like you own it!!

David Harnitchek
01-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. I finally got through to the seller of one of the guns but I was too late. It is sold. Here's a link to the sporting clay model. It's much more expensive than the one that sold.

Sporting Clays (http://www.gunsinternational.com/PARKER-REPRODUCTION-Special-Sporting-Clays-12ga.cfm?gun_id=100381222)

Bill Murphy
01-22-2014, 03:42 PM
A poster on another thread mentions that Jaqua just put about a dozen Repros up on their site. Three 12 gauges are worth looking at. 28" or two barrel sets. I would buy any of the three.

Sam Ogle
01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Mr. Romig is a wise man, giving good advice. 1: Put on a pad; 2: save the butt plate.
3: Shoot, shoot shoot.