PDA

View Full Version : CONFESSION

Patrick Devlin
01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
I kind of feel like a peeping tom confessing to his priest. I have been secretly educating myself about Parker Guns through this site for several years. At first I thought I could resist the Sirens call tempting me to purchases a Parker but unfortunately I failed in the worst way. A while back my wife asked me why I was visiting this site so often and why I was sighing so much when on this site. Then the books devoted to the Parker Gun started to mysteriously appear in conspicuous places. Well eventually she asked if I would like to have a Parked and I shamelessly responded, oh no I would never spend that kind of money on a shotgun. To make a long story short that Christmas there was a fine 20 Ga. Vh under the tree. After a while I really needed a new duck gun so I found a great deal on a VH 12 guage. Now I have a burning desire for a 16, you know for early October when the grouse are kind of spooky. I performed poorly on several goose hunts this year, no doubt due to being under gunned so I guess that a big 10 would be fitting. I wouldn't even dream of a 28, I guess. Well originally I just wanted to say thanks for all the years of great reading and entertainment but now I am not so sure.

Thank You All,

Patrick Devlin

Dave Suponski
01-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Patrick,Welcome aboard! I was gonna warn ya about this Parker thing but I fear I am too late...You are smitten...:rolleyes: Enjoy the ride! A nice little 16 for pa'tridge? I like the way you think..

Dean Romig
01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
A nice little 16 for pa'tridge? I like the way you think..

No, no Dave... a twenty-eight is what Patrick needs for pa'tridge an' woodcock. A sixteen is for close-in turkeys and decoyed ducks . . .

. . . aw, what the heck Patrick - get a few of each gauge. You won't be able to stop an' you know it!

Welcome, and thanks for steppin' outta the shadows.

Dean

scott kittredge
01-16-2010, 07:17 AM
hi Patrick, the big:bowdown: 10 ga IS the best for goose, so you MUST pick one of them up too!:cool: you will never be under gunned with a 10, that is how i felt all last season. scott

calvin humburg
01-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Watch out u r going 2 earn yourself a skillet dent...............ya I need a 10 say in a 250 dollar grade lifter with a bernard barrel, but I'll settle 4 a o grade.

E Robert Fabian
01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Patrick, a sea duck hunt on the down east coast is on my to do list.
Bob

Rich Anderson
01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Patrick I hate to break the bad news to you but somebody has to do it. You have Parkeritus and there is no known cure at least not one anybody will admit to.

It's kinda like a cancer as it only gets worse so my advice is to get the 28 now as it will only cost you more next year or the year after that. If you buy now it will be like getting a radiation treatment free and afterall it is an investment.:bigbye:

Patrick Devlin
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
All accurate observations and no doubt based on years of experience. My wife offered to spring for a psychiatric evaluation in an effort to deal with this terrible malady, parkeritis, but I told her to save her money. Now I have another conflict at home to deal with. My Chesapeake has put her foot down and is insisting on a 10 ga. she feels that at 10 years old she should not have to be chasing cripples. My setter is even more stubborn than the chessie, if that is possible, and has her heart set on a DH 28 but after considering my shooting ability is willing to settle on a 16. I wonder if Charles Parker is sitting up there being amused at what turmoil his " Old Reliable".

Pat

Patrick Devlin
01-16-2010, 08:55 PM
All accurate observations and no doubt based on years of experience. My wife offered to spring for a psychiatric evaluation in an effort to deal with this terrible malady, parkeritis, but I told her to save her money. Now I have another conflict at home to deal with. My Chesapeake has put her foot down and is insisting on a 10 ga. she feels that at 10 years old she should not have to be chasing cripples. My setter is even more stubborn than the chessie, if that is possible, and has her heart set on a DH 28 but after considering my shooting ability is willing to settle on a 16. I wonder if Charles Parker is sitting up there being amused at what turmoil his " Old Reliable".

Pat

Richard Flanders
01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Yep, Patrick is definitely gone. A lost cause. It only gets worse with Time Patrick and there is definitely no cure, especially if the good wife is complicit....

Patrick Devlin
01-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Well I guess I will just have to accept my affliction and organize the search for a suitable 10ga. and a 28 for good measure.

Patrick

Eric Eis
01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Patrick everyone seems to have forgotten about a certain gauge, the 410 now that's what you need for pointed woodcock... Easy to carry light now that's the one you need after the 10, 16 and 28 :shock:

Patrick Devlin
01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Well that sounds good, my wife still thinks that the smaller the gauge the smaller the price. Seriously though I have trouble connecting on grouse with my 20ga. the 410 would require a great deal of practice to become proficient. Hummm another plus for the 410.

Pat

Richard Flanders
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Ahhh, just do like the old farts Patrick. Go buy a $45,000 .410 and take a bandsaw to the bbls to take the chokes off....

Patrick Devlin
01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Are you kidding I can't afford a band-saw.

Francis Morin
01-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Congratulations and there is no cure for the "Parker Fever" thank the Good Lord for that- I'll pass on the 28 gauge and the .410 shotguns, whether Parker, Ithaca or even Winchester- But if you find a PH (E) or GH (E) std. 10 bore on a Number 2 frame- 30 or 32" Parker Steel barrels, DT and good dimensions that you don't want or like (if that's possible NOT to like a Parker) I might be interested. Have been looking at both a Linder Daly 10 and a Ithaca NID- But- there's nothing like a Parker- welcome aboard P:cool:!!-

Patrick Devlin
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Francis, I will keep my eyes and ears open. Here in Maine we have a large weekly swap and sell publication that generally includes about 6 pages of firearms and frequently, about once a month, a Parker is advertised at a reasonable price so you never know.

Pat