PDA

View Full Version : Proper Storage

Robert Lamb
11-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I presently have gun cabinets where keep my Parkers. However, I would like to know if storing them in some type of gun case (ie leather or fabric construction with some form of lining) is preferable. If so, what manufacturer would you recommend?

Rick Losey
11-28-2013, 10:34 AM
in most cases (pun intended) no IMHO

a lot depends on the humidity - of course top quality oak and leather trunk cases were meant for storage. But even then humidity in you home can be an issue.

the long soft cases are meant for transport. I have friends that store in them with no ill effect, and have seen some guns develop rust in them

I keep them bare in the safe, but have thought about getting rust inhibitor gun sock to protect them from bumping into each other.

Linn Matthews
11-28-2013, 10:38 AM
I worry about linings. The best thing is to avoid humidity and temperature changes. I have used box type cases and put bags of water absorbent crystals(silica gel) in them along with the guns. When doing that I avoid having the bags in contact with the metal parts of the guns

Dave Suponski
11-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Like Rick I use my cases for transport only. My guns are kept in the raw in the safe. After cleaning I wipe them down with Ballistol and thats it. We get some pretty humid weather here in New England and never a problem.

Russ Jackson
11-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I Know there are a lot of different opinions on this ,but after many years of bumping stocks and Barrels getting my guns out of the safe ,I decided a while back to keep my Best Parker Guns in Hard Leather Gun Cases ,most have been purchased from " Jeff's Outfitters " ! As said before ,moisture is always a consideration and in the Summer I always run a dehumidifier and also I like to fiddle with my guns so I get them out often and check on them and oil them regularly ! As for the guns I get out often I store them upside down to keep oil from running to the head of the stock although I just keep a very thin oil coating on them ! Russ

ForrestArmstrong
11-28-2013, 10:09 PM
I store all my guns in long, cotton "gunny socks" stacked in safes equipped with Golden Rod dehumidifiers. Golden Rods (or a light bulb) work by keeping the temperature inside the safe slightly higher than the ambient temperature on the outside, thus preventing condensation. No need for desiccants. In 40 years I have never had rust occur on guns so protected, including 30 years in a garage in high-humidity Houston. The socks provide some protection from dings and scratches. Bad part is they are difficult to readily access, so I keep the ones I use the most near the front.

Bob Jurewicz
11-29-2013, 03:37 AM
Since many of the cotton gun socks are "silicon" treated I do not use them for protection in gun safes.
I use military surplus 4" surgical sock for protection in safe. It is elastic, untreated, sterile, fits to guns shape and gives enough protection from bumps in the safe.
Bob Jurewicz

allen newell
11-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Guns need to breathe. store them in your gun case or safe but go out and buy a heating wand, most gun cases/safes today have hole in the bottom rear that you insert a heating wand in. this guarantees you will have no humidity min the gun safe and no worries about rust.

Kenny Graft
11-29-2013, 07:19 AM
Keep your guns in a heated fire safe....I wipe all of them with a good light coat of rig universal greese. NEVER any rust with this system! This also protects from finger print type rust if you forget to wipe a gun after touching the metal, the rig stays were you put it and does not leak into the wood like any other liquid type oils...(-: A gun sock will also be a plus to prevent safe bumps or if there is a fire, steam inside the safe is the enemy. SXS ohio

allen newell
11-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Gun safe heating rods are readily available, operate at very low voltage and provide sufficient heat in your gun safe or cabinet to eliminate risk of rust/corrosion occurring. They will cost anywhere from $20 - $50. Canon Safe co. sells them as do others. Mine is 15 years old and still going strong and no rust whatsoever.

Mills Morrison
12-02-2013, 07:29 AM
I keep most of mine in gun safes. I have a two barrel set that lives in a Boyt two barrel case and have had no problems. I have a pair of gloves I use whenever handling them